Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
From what I see primates are everywhere except the Arctic/antarctic, Australia, and North America. Maybe some in southern Mexico, but are there any in California?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I pass by the state capital every morning on my way to work, a ton of wild primates in there. :p

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Back in the back woods section of my back woods, there are rumors of some sort of mountain ape/gorilla. I find it hard to believe in the colder northern climate of this half of the state. Being that primates only exist, if at all, in a natural state in southern Mexico then it's pretty obvious there isn't anything like that in any size or shape way up north.

From what I could find, the primates in Japan are basically an anomaly as far as northern primates currently in existence.

I talked to a former Lake Tahoe ranger who said it's not likely but new species of all sorts are discovered all the time. If in fact we do have a primate, they are going to be smart and avoid humans. He even thinks they will bury or obscure their own dead so that and their small numbers can make them possibly exist so long without detection. When I mentioned about the small primates found in Florida, he correctly concluded that it was probably a pet which it turned out to be.

Whether it's bigfoot, medium foot, or tiny tiny foot, a primate in North America right now would be the scientific find of the century. Only millions of years ago, the fossil record shows a primate but nothing since then. It's probably something hunters and locals like to say about having seen a wild primate at least once among the tall redwoods.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'll allow for the possibility of a cryptic non-human primate roaming around some extremely isolated regions of North America, but I have yet to hear of ANY scientific evidence suggesting such. And even a priori it is incredibly unlikely.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I'll allow for the possibility of a cryptic non-human primate roaming around some extremely isolated regions of North America, but I have yet to hear of ANY scientific evidence suggesting such. And even a priori it is incredibly unlikely.

My guess is that there are no isolated areas to that extent in the USA, but maybe in Canada or Alaska where I think the idea of a primate is super unlikely. There would have to be a very large area with very few people for a primate to exist so long undetected. People have pretty much either developed on planned on it in every inch of the land in the USA. In my region, the only really inaccessible areas are along that no-mans land on the coast between Monterey and San Luis Obispo but that has changed greatly in recent years. I can imagine some areas north of Santa Rosa in your area which can be suitable for wildlife but then going undetected seems unlikely.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
My guess is that there are no isolated areas to that extent in the USA, but maybe in Canada or Alaska where I think the idea of a primate is super unlikely. There would have to be a very large area with very few people for a primate to exist so long undetected. People have pretty much either developed on planned on it in every inch of the land in the USA. In my region, the only really inaccessible areas are along that no-mans land on the coast between Monterey and San Luis Obispo but that has changed greatly in recent years. I can imagine some areas north of Santa Rosa in your area which can be suitable for wildlife but then going undetected seems unlikely.

Also, there would have to be a relatively large population (on the order of dozens to hundreds) of such primates in order to form a somewhat stable population.

I'm not a primatologist; are there any known non-human primates (extant or extinct) that live (or have lived) in such extreme climates as the remote parts of Alaska/NW Territories/Yukon/Nunavut?

I love to ponder such things, although I think our best bet for discovering new species still lies at the bottom of the ocean. :)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
what a bunch of skeptics :p

Smalfut.jpg

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
yez.....but some will still deny it! :D

That is so real! ;)

Anyway, if we did have a primate, I would suspect it would be much smaller akin to a tree monkey. Even then, with all the scientists out there in the wild it would be a gigantic discovery to find a primate in North America. I liken to finding any primate in North America to when we found a living coelacanth.

Things are not clarified when every rural backwoods region in northern California has people who swear they saw "something".

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
......Things are not clarified when every rural backwoods region in northern California has people who swear they saw "something".

that's why they provide these photos......but still you city slickers don't believe them! :p

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
that's why they provide these photos......but still you city slickers don't believe them! :p

I am almost as backwoods as it gets in town of 1,600. :) But where there are similar towns of under 100, the ones we call the real "backwoods", you will find a good portion of them swearing that there are bigfoots, marijuana farms in plain sight, and UFOs. When your town is so small and there's nothing or nobody of note there, then you either make up bigfoot stories or build 20 foot statues of hotdogs, American folklore, or Godzillas.:D

Nobody famous is here except for Jodi Arias at one time and she's no bigfoot though some say she's a monster of some sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.