Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 19, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Flat Design - Commercial Example

I have been seeing this commercial when I am at the gym, and it catches my eye every time.

I think this is a good representation of a modern, flat design, with good color choices.

I like how there is no gloss, and its all just about choosing the right colors to blend together and make it look nice. To me, seeing something like this in iOS 7 could be amazing!

http://youtu.be/ieCJ9UdNizU
Old May 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I think people are confusing flat with monochrome and boring. To me, flat is exactly what I think you're seeing and that is iOS 7 giving up on all those ******** random glossy glares.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I think people are confusing flat with monochrome and boring. To me, flat is exactly what I think you're seeing and that is iOS 7 giving up on all those ******** random glossy glares.
Exactly. Flat does not mean boring, by any definition of the term!
jbenkelman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 05:58 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Isn't Windows Phone 7/8 also an example of flat design?
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
scapegoat81
macrumors 6502

Nice. I like how all the animations flow together in that video as well. Seeing the flat design w/ these type of animations would be awesome in iOS 7. It wouldn't break my heart if they axe the animations either.

Either way they're doomed cuz it'll look too much like Windows 8. J/k lmao

Can't wait for WWDC
scapegoat81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Isn't Windows Phone 7/8 also an example of flat design?
It is. But the design of windows is what people don't like. Apple will use the flat design method, but it will be on their UI which will make it much more aesthetically pleasing.
jbenkelman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 06:14 PM   #7
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
I have been seeing this commercial when I am at the gym, and it catches my eye every time.

I think this is a good representation of a modern, flat design, with good color choices.

I like how there is no gloss, and its all just about choosing the right colors to blend together and make it look nice. To me, seeing something like this in iOS 7 could be amazing!

http://youtu.be/ieCJ9UdNizU
Oh and by the way. It was flat but skeuomorphic too.
Old May 19, 2013, 07:32 PM   #8
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Reminds me of the design of this app: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/figure/

iOS 7 would be a winner in my book if it looked like this. Very modern, sleek, colorful, beautiful, and edgy. A lot better than iOS 6's look. I like the way the Music app looks right now though.

Much better than Windows 8/Phone 8!
Old May 19, 2013, 09:58 PM   #9
jbenkelman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
Reminds me of the design of this app: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/figure/

iOS 7 would be a winner in my book if it looked like this. Very modern, sleek, colorful, beautiful, and edgy. A lot better than iOS 6's look. I like the way the Music app looks right now though.

Much better than Windows 8/Phone 8!
Agreed. That all looks alot like the commercial. I've see a couple music app mock ups that make me wonder if maybe it's time for a change. I don't mind the current app, but my appetite for change has been challenged.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
Oh and by the way. It was flat but skeuomorphic too.
Exactly. Flat doesn't mean anti-skeuomorphic. I think there is room for both. Maybe just less extreme for some of the apps.

Personally, I LOVE the iBooks app and how when I read a book on my phone or iPad it does look like a book. That's an appropriate use of skeuomorphism.
jbenkelman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
ppeyton1143
Banned

hmmm...nice, i would like to see it in iOS7. by the way, apple's website is also using a bit flat look, would be amazed if apple brings out something like that in iOS7.
ppeyton1143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 09:43 AM   #11
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
It is. But the design of windows is what people don't like. Apple will use the flat design method, but it will be on their UI which will make it much more aesthetically pleasing.
I know plenty of people who like Windows Phone 8 design (myself included). You're confusing people who don't like Windows 8's tile design on a desktop which people find horrid.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7