Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Is there any reason to wait till after the WWDC to get a mac mini?
Also, would you spurge for the server mac mini.
I'm using this for a home computer with typical family video and photo editing.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The mac mini's were updated in October so it is unlikely that there will be a new mini available at WWDC. They might announce one but if the update pattern continues a new one would be available in october.

Unless you are going to be utilizing the server applications, there really is no reason to go with the server model. A DIY HDD addition or external drive would be cheaper if you need more space to work with.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Unless you need to buy one within 6 months, I wouldn't buy any computer until the haswell chips come out. Apple has silently upgraded CPUs in the past so they could conceivably just come up with a haswell-powered mac mini in a few months.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The next Mini will likely have the Haswell architecture processor, and those CPUs are expected to be released in June (prior to WWDC) so it's possible a new Mini would be announced then. If you don't have an urgent need I'd suggest waiting for WWDC and see what happens.

I'm not suggesting it's likely that a new Mini will be introduced, but it is possible.

As for regular Mini vs. Server, I suggest regular with Fusion drive. The performance difference is astounding.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I went for the server model since mine is used as a server, rather then a desktop unit - hence Im not after speed etc - more after storage. By the time I have the correct cables etc shipped over, and with the cost of the second 1TB drive, I would have pretty much paid the same as from Apple direct, hence I just went with the server model to start with.

Since we are so close, you may as well wait to see whats announced, although I personally doubt a new Mac Mini will be on the cards - maybe a silent update.......maybe.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
I was wondering the same thing.

One of the bit advantages of Haswell was supposedly going to be the integrated GPU options... that they'd actually be halfway decent.

Since the Mini uses the integrated GPU, I was kind of hoping / wondering that it would get one as well: if not the WWDC then sometime later.

I've decided to old off on my switch back to Mac until then. I WAS going to get a 2012 iMac (almost finished my order) but after seeing some units with IR and remembering my personal BAD luck with 1st gen Mac products I decided to wait.

I can wait until Winter again. Besides I need the money for other things at the moment, and my PC is fixed (for now).

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Check history: when does Apple apply architecture updates to Mini's: about every 500 days. That would be early 2014. So buy the current one, waiting is useless.
Haswell might be available sooner, but it is always first put in the Macbook Pro's, than in the iMacs, and then in the Mini.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Check history: when does Apple apply architecture updates to Mini's: about every 500 days. That would be early 2014. So buy the current one, waiting is useless.
Haswell might be available sooner, but it is always first put in the Macbook Pro's, than in the iMacs, and then in the Mini.

That's a shame. Though in my case I can wait that long since my main rig is working well enough now.

Though for the OP... with WWDC right around the corner I'd probably wait just to be sure. Even if it's only like a 1% chance of them announcing anything. Waiting an extra 3 weeks isn't too bad unless you're literally without a working computer right now.

BUT... that's me.

AND... if you need a machine now (like your rig is on its way out) then you might as well buy now.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
People that were waiting on the Mini that "had to be right around the corner" found themselves waiting 8+ months last time :) If you're in no rush then feel free to wait, I just wouldn't count on it being released in a month.

Personally I just ordered a Mini as I've needed a new machine for a while, any machine becomes pretty much obsolete as soon as you buy it and the current model is a huge speed increase over my machine.

At some point you just have to pull the trigger.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
People that were waiting on the Mini that "had to be right around the corner" found themselves waiting 8+ months last time :) If you're in no rush then feel free to wait, I just wouldn't count on it being released in a month.

Personally I just ordered a Mini as I've needed a new machine for a while, any machine becomes pretty much obsolete as soon as you buy it and the current model is a huge speed increase over my machine.

At some point you just have to pull the trigger.

Agreed on most parts: if you have a need, fill it.

And I was one of those 2012 iMac waiters... kept waiting and waiting and WAITING. And I feel bad for those MacPro waiters (if there still are any).

But in this case... the OP doesn't make it clear. Is it just an upgrade? Is it a replacement for a dead unit? etc.

If it's just an upgrade, then waiting 3 weeks isn't bad even if it's just a 1%. But then don't wait for the NEXT conference... just order it then.

If it's a replacement, then just order it now.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
And I was one of those 2012 iMac waiters... kept waiting and waiting and WAITING.

Then again, it was only one week from the mathematically to-be-expected date! Only the Buy-Guide here was way off and drove you all mad.

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
Then again, it was only one week from the mathematically to-be-expected date! Only the Buy-Guide here was way off and drove you all mad.

I can't tell, was that sarcasm? It's hard to "read" sarcasm on a post.

Otherwise, how do you figure? iMac was historically released every ~10 months. So let's round up to a year.

So when a year passed, a lot of people figured might as well wait since the new one is around the corner. Based on the math it seemed sound. Instead it was over 19 months.

I don't see how 19 months was mathematically to-be-expected.

I was waiting because I wanted to jump back to Apple. The Dell 27" AllInOne at the time was about as fast and almost feature-complete as the iMac at the time and slightly cheaper but I was hoping to make the jump back.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
And I was one of those 2012 iMac waiters... kept waiting and waiting and WAITING.
Me too. And when it did come, I preferred the Mini !!!

My advice: get what you need now. The next gen Mini will no doubt be 5% better here or there, but for typical family usage, the 2012 Mini will spank any job you give it.

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010

I'm thinking the mini will be upgraded, but not right after WWDC but months later. What you should question is whether the spec bump will be actually useful for a home computer, probably not overly so. If you can wait of course, why not.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Unless you need to buy one within 6 months, I wouldn't buy any computer until the haswell chips come out. Apple has silently upgraded CPUs in the past so they could conceivably just come up with a haswell-powered mac mini in a few months.

For that way of thinking- each model year of said Mac unit is only good enough for 180 days.. I guess i'm in the stone age with my '06 / '11 minis - they work fine dandy .. :eek:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I just bought a new Mac Mini today. The Apple store clerk told me that if anything new gets announced at the WWDC that i can return the mini and get a new one.

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
I just noticed last night that the 2.6GHz i7 model's availability has now been pushed back to June 4th. I wasn't going to wait for WWDC before, but now it looks like I will be anyway.

I'm hoping the delay is for Haswell - it's a slight chance, I know. But the timeframe is right.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I just noticed last night that the 2.6GHz i7 model's availability has now been pushed back to June 4th. I wasn't going to wait for WWDC before, but now it looks like I will be anyway.

I'm hoping the delay is for Haswell - it's a slight chance, I know. But the timeframe is right.

What's the deal with Haswell.

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I am waiting until they give the option for the fusion drive (or SSD) in the base Mac Mini. I don't want to disassemble the whole unit to do it myself, nor do I want to spend $1050+ to have a fusion option.

In my option, it don't really matter how fast the CPU is, the most noticeable difference in a new machine today is an SSD or Fusion drive.

But until then, I wait. I have a perfectly fine mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro with a 512GB SSD and 16GB of ram.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012

If you plan to use Aperture for photo editing, you want all the graphics power you reasonably can get. The Haswell chip soon to be released are specifically designed for lower power and better graphics. I suggest you wait for a bit unless you really need a new machine now.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I'm waiting for the new Haswell versions. Graphics on these are supposed to be
2 or 3 times better.

From what I have read Haswell will emphasize low power usage and will offer a slight improvement in processing speed. I don't remember reading about a real world 2 to 3 times improvement for overall application graphics performance. A guess based on past releases would be that graphics should have up to a fifty percent improvement over Intel HD4000 integrated graphics on current systems which will be very significant but still probably not the night and day difference that a theoretical two to three times better would be. Remember that the raw theoretical graphics only performance will likely be different than real application graphics intensive performance for a Haswell based system which involves many other system components. I know that there was a similar situation last year where many potential Mac Mini buyers were holding out for the HD4000 integrated graphics with the Ivy Bridge chipset believing it would be dramatically better than the HD3000 integrated graphics based on what Intel reported before the actual integrated Ivy Bridge chipset was released. While there was a nice improvement it ended up being not as big of a difference as many had anticipated and to many who expected better real world application results for the HD4000 graphics it was a disappointment. I guess we will find out more about the real world integrated graphics performance improvements when Haswell is released.

Last edited:

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
From what I have read Haswell will emphasize low power usage and will offer a slight improvement in processing speed. I don't remember reading about a real world 2 to 3 times improvement for overall application graphics performance. A guess based on past releases would be that graphics should have up to a fifty percent improvement over Intel HD4000 integrated graphics on current systems which will be very significant but still probably not the night and day difference that a theoretical two to three times better would be. Remember that the raw theoretical graphics only performance will likely be different than real application graphics intensive performance for a Haswell based system which involves many other system components. I know that there was a similar situation last year where many potential Mac Mini buyers were holding out for the HD4000 integrated graphics with the Ivy Bridge chipset believing it would be dramatically better than the HD3000 integrated graphics based on what Intel reported before the actual integrated Ivy Bridge chipset was released. While there was a nice improvement it ended up being not as big of a difference as many had anticipated and to many who expected better real world application results for the HD4000 graphics it was a disappointment. I guess we will find out more about the real world integrated graphics performance improvements when Haswell is released.

Go read up on the Haswell graphics -- the improvements are many, including for the first time, dedicated DRAM on some of the models for graphics. That alone should help out a lot, since the GPU won't be sharing the memory bus with the CPU. Plus they increased the shader units over HD4000, which unlike CPU core increases, actually does yield pretty much a linear performance increase.

I won't go out as far to say that Haswell graphics will be an AMD or Nvidia killer, but it should be a very big upgrade over what we've typically seen from Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.