Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Oct 30, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
tdevereux
macrumors newbie

HELP! IPOD won't reset

I have an IPOD 60 GB Photo purchased in March, 2005. IPOD has frozen in the past, but latest problem occurred with MAC OS 10.4. The IPOD isn't showing music files, but the space is still being "used" and/or is unavalvable. I have followed instructions to reset, (worked in the past) but it won't reset. nothing happens when I hold down the appropriate keys. Anybody else have this problem or have any ideas? Do you think an Apple store will provide a replacement if they can't get it to reset? Do I neeed to see a genius (by appointment) or can I just bring it to the store for someone to try to reset?
tdevereux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2005, 05:43 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

We don't have Apple Stores in Australia so I'm not sure whether you'd need an appointment but this is probably a job for a Genius.

Nevertheless, if a normal reset doesn't work then sometimes you have to plug it into a power source before trying to reset it again. Preferably, use a wall outlet as opposed to a computer.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
MacAficionado
macrumors 6502

Yep, Plug the iPod to the wall, then try resetting or going to target disk mode(Select+Play/Pause).

Open iPod Software updater, without opening iTunes. It should mount after some time. Then restore. If that does not work try reformatting with Disk Utility and make sure that it has one partition when all is done. Throughout listen for a clicking sound(Hard drive) if it is, your HD is bye bye.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 06:13 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAficionado
...your HD is bye bye.

More than likely, but still try some stuff to get it working.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:53 PM   #5
tdevereux
macrumors newbie

HELP IPOD won't reset

Thanks for the responses. I failed to mention in my first post that I followed the directions for troubleshooting including plugging into a power source other than a computer. IPOD updater will not recognize the hard drive with contents stored, it will only let me restore it not reset it which will wipe my hard drive. I was trying to avoid that, but I am begininng to believe that the Hard Drive is toast! I guess that since it had some life, it will let you scroll, etc. that there was a possibility of saving its contents. Thanks.
tdevereux is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod