Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So I recently sent my rMBP in to get the screen replaced because I had a "mura" spot in the center of my screen. Like a white cloud. They didn't ask any questions and quickly replaced it within 48 hours. I now have my macbook back and my screen has a very noticeable yellow tint. I've compared with my roommates cMBP screen and you can very much so tell the difference. Unfortunately I dont have any comparison photos to post. I tried searching for an apple support forum thread regarding this as I found one for the Mura spot but i'm not sure if this is covered with applecare? Has anybody experienced the genius bar with this issue?

tl;dr my rMBP has yellow tint after getting it replaced, is this covered over applecare? I am not satisfied with my new screen.

Many thanks all,
Martin

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Is yellow tint something people have complained about? I haven't kept up much with the retina models.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Your original screen was probably LG and the replacement screens are all Samsung. The Samsung's have a more yellow tint to them rather than the bluish tint of the LG's. It's not covered under AppleCare. Try calibrating the screen if it bothers you.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Your original screen was probably LG and the replacement screens are all Samsung. The Samsung's have a more yellow tint to them rather than the bluish tint of the LG's. It's not covered under AppleCare. Try calibrating the screen if it bothers you.

You are correct. My last screen was LG and the new one is Samsung. Do you suggest any guides or tutorials for calibration or should I just google it up?
Thanks

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
The problem is, your rMBP is still calibrated for an LG screen. Now you need to 1. calibrate your screen or 2. find a Samsung screen calibration profile and try it on your rMBP. Not all screens are the same so, even if you find a Samsung profile, it doesn't mean that it will look good. There are some in here.. you may find them using search.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
The problem is, your rMBP is still calibrated for an LG screen. Now you need to 1. calibrate your screen or 2. find a Samsung screen calibration profile and try it on your rMBP. Not all screens are the same so, even if you find a Samsung profile, it doesn't mean that it will look good. There are some in here.. you may find them using search.

thank you stinger, i will start doing some digging in the forums

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany

For me the same. Had a samsung display - now i got a LG Display (new version) and the screen is going into yellow.

Is it really because of the calibration? My rMBP was repaired by an apple store - don't they adjust the calibration?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
For me the same. Had a samsung display - now i got a LG Display (new version) and the screen is going into yellow.

Is it really because of the calibration? My rMBP was repaired by an apple store - don't they adjust the calibration?
I had a LG at first. Got severe ghosting and got it replaced by a Samsung. Had to calibrate it in order to get rid of the yellow tint.

This time I had other issue and had to get it replaced again. Let's see what screen will come.

I don't think they calibrate it.. They replace it and that's it. When you install Mavericks, maybe you'll notice a difference since the OS adjusts to the screen you have.

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I already installed mavericks and it's Yellow - way more than with 10.8 I think.

So how should I calibrate? Using Expert Mode or buying a colorimeter?

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
I already installed mavericks and it's Yellow - way more than with 10.8 I think.

So how should I calibrate? Using Expert Mode or buying a colorimeter?

You can use a colour calibrator to make the display less yellow, but it won't help with clarity. The problem with some of the Samsung LSN154YL01001 displays is not only that they're yellow but they are muddy and unclear and low contrast and dim. A colour calibrator won't help with that. I know, I've tried with a Spyder4Elite. But I made a few colour profiles that you can try. Download my .zip and extract the .icc files into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. Maybe you can find one that makes your display less horrible to look at.

You can complain to the Apple store and you might get a replacement but the replacement will likely also be yellow. I'm on my second yellow Samsung LSN154YL01001 display.

The Expert Mode in the built-in calibrator in System Preferences won't help because you'll likely just mess up the colours more. Unless you want to just crank the white point up past 7500 K so that the display looks hideously blue instead of hideously yellow.

I still recommend complaining to the Genius Bar. I've gone 3 times to complain and I will go again.

http://merchv.com/Apple/Merch-Colour-Profiles.zip

Last edited:

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
I got a new revision of an LG Display for my rMBP (the old one was a samsung). Maybe that's the point? The Samsung wasn't as yellow as the LG is.

Why doesn't it work with a colorimeter? Don't understand.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
I got a new revision of an LG Display for my rMBP (the old one was a samsung). Maybe that's the point? The Samsung wasn't as yellow as the LG is.

Why doesn't it work with a colorimeter? Don't understand.

Your LG is yellow? This is news to me: I didn't think the LGs were yellow. I've only read complaints about yellow Samsungs.

Why won't a colour calibrator work? Maybe it will. Maybe you will be satisfied with the results. Maybe the yellowed LG is different than my yellowed Samsung. You could try. Many claim that a colour calibrator solves the problem.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
Ok. But which one should I buy? Spyder4Elite, i1Display Pro or something else?

I bought the Spyder4Elite because it had more features like calibrating to 9300 K white point and they have an iPad app to view pictures so you can calibrate your iPad but only inside the app. But you could also buy the cheaper Spyder4Express or Xrite ColorMunki and it will do the same job.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Ok. But which one should I buy? Spyder4Elite, i1Display Pro or something else?
After you buy your color calibrator, could you, please, share the profiles you created? I don't know if I will get a LG and, even if I do, if I'll be happy with the colors. But I can't afford to buy a color calibrator and it would be really nice if you could just share it. Thank you and good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.