Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 20, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
doadam
macrumors newbie

Installing OS on SSD and storage on HDD

Hello,

I've purchased a new Mac mini and I decided I won't fuse the hard disk (I heard it is not stable enough) and therefore I decided I am going to install the OS on the SSD (so save boot time and maximize performance) and the 'User' directory (if there's one in OS X), straight to the HDD. So the SSD will contain the OS and the HDD will be the storage.

I didn't receive it yet, but once I do, what are the steps required to install the OS on the SSD and the User on the HDD?

A tutorial (even without a video) would be perfect.

Sincerely,
a newbie OS X user.
doadam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

There is a walkthru here that should help you.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by doadam View Post
I decided I won't fuse the hard disk (I heard it is not stable enough)
"Citation required." I haven't read anything that might suggest that, and I've followed it pretty extensively.

The "fusion" is software: the stability of the hardware remains the same as for two un-fused devices.

It's no different from RAID (in terms of using two devices as one logical volume).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion