Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meegosh2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could let me know whether a large amount of network activity could mean my Mac has been hacked.

Yesterday I opened activity monitor and noticed around 440mb of data had been received, I had been watching a couple of videos on youtube but this only came to about 200mb, so there's around another 200+mb that I can't explain.

Does anyone know what this could be? Is there anyway to confirm that I've been hacked?

I have been monitoring today and it seems ok. I hope I'm being paranoid but this is causing me some anxiety.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
That figure in Activity Monitor is cumulative. So it would represent the data since your last boot, AFAIK.

If that is the only "symptom", then do not worry.

In any case, the few pieces of malware that there are, generally, are not designed to glean personal data from your Mac, but usually to be part of botnet. There are things like keyloggers, though that would require physical access to your machine to install.

In short: unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you haven't been hacked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.