Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I have an old flat panel G4 iMac that I just have in my kitchen for email and music but my wireless no longer works. I bought and installed an airport card a few years back and it worked but now I can no longer access my wireless network. I have an airport base station for my wireless network and my iMac G5, Macbook Pro and iPhone connect fine but the iMac G4 cannot connect.

Do I need to upgraded to an AIrport Extreme card or is there an alternative method to get it to connect to my wireless network? :confused:

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I haven't changed anything on my end, the airport card is working because it recognizes my network but it won't connect. It tells me "There was an error joining the Airport network "network name" ".

Aameiel

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
If your imac is using an old airport card it cant use network security that high,but you can get a usb dongle to fix that problem.

Aameiel

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
Cape Coral, FL
Depends on the model, I mite be wrong here but i think that only the 20 inch imac g4's can use a airport extreme. I know for sure that a 15 inch imac g4 can only use the old airport cards.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Depends on the model, I mite be wrong here but i think that only the 20 inch imac g4's can use a airport extreme. I know for sure that a 15 inch imac g4 can only use the old airport cards.

Only the 15 inch with a 1.0 ghz, the 17 inch in the 1.0 and 1.25 ghz and lastly the 20 inch can use a airport extreme card, now because the op said that you already have a airport card (not airport extreme) you must have a older iMac g4 and as the two cards aren't interchangeable then you need a dongle. Airport should work up to wpa, airport extream for wpa2. Hope that helps :)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Intell, I wouldn't say that if I wouldn't work. With mixed WPA/WPA2 setting + b/g/n mode it works perfectly. I have AP Express set this way and my Clamshell connects to it without problems.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Can you explain the process a little more? I tried changing the settings but couldn't get it to connect. I checked and it's only the 700MHz G4 so an Airport Express card won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.