Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IamMarcoPolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Hello folks,

Looking for some advice here. I have had my 27inch Imac for 8 months now, and up until a few weeks ago, the screen started dimming, up and down (although the brightness was registering, max). Furthermore, over the last week, myself and my family have been using my Imac, and randomly when I am surfing, doing work, the screen goes 'black' (while the computer remains on), but I cannot rescue the screen by clicking on the mouse or keyboard pad, I have to 'hard restart' to get the screen back up. Moreover, this seems to happen randomly. The last time I used my imac, it was happening every 3 minutes.

As a result, I sent the Imac back to the store and they sent it off for repair. However, I rang them today and they told me they couldn't find the problem. They said ring back on Wednesday to see if they had found the fault. But to me, this is a major problem. Unfortunately I have to start work in a few weeks and i haven't got time, to keep packaging up and transporting Imac's around, I also haven't got time to be without my Imac.

To me it seems that they wont repair anything, until they have 'physically' seen the problem, which is a problem for me, because I just don't have the time to wait around until the problem happens again. It is certainly a hardware fault, but I am not prepared to wait around using a faulty Imac that I know, is faulty, and have to send the Imac back again.

Indeed, it is a known problem of a 'random black screen' when the computer remains on, but both the apple store and the repair guys, are unaware of the problem, which tbh, I find, 'crap'.

I was just wondering where I stand with this. If the repair guys are refusing to 'fix' the problem and they are going to send it back in the same condition, leaving me with the uncertainty of using a 'broken problem' which in time will only get worse, I am not sure where this leaves me, in terms of 'consumer rights'.

I was wondering, what you guys/gals would do, in this situation or what I should tell them on Wednesday when I enquire again. I dont want to find myself in a situation where I have to keep sending my Imac back and forwards, waisting my time and theirs.

Many thanks

IamMarcoPolo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
These kind of faults need to be demonstrated in person. I would take it to an Apple store. Where do you live?

So, what apple are saying is, if they cant see the problem at that time, its not broken? and I am stupid?

PJM82

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
United Kingdom
So, what apple are saying is, if they cant see the problem at that time, its not broken? and I am stupid?

Thats exactly what they are saying. Don't forget the level of training they have wouldn't even qualify them as 'technicians'. For many its just a way of getting the uni fees paid.

Unless you can demonstrate the fault they won't do anything. However, most companies are like this or worst.

andydckent

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Or why not make a video of it to show them on your phone (assuming you have one)?

It could be a bad graphics card?

Or maybe something to do with the light sensor if you say the brighness sometimes turns itself down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.