Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 20, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
DramaLLama
macrumors 6502

Wifi hangs/disconnects randomly...

I've researched and apparently this is a very common issue among many versions of OS X and I cannot for the life of me find a solution.

My wifi will hang and disconnect at seemingly random intervals, usually no longer than an hour or so apart until I turn off/turn on the wifi to reconnect to my network, or ANY other wifi network that I use... have you guys been having this problem and is there a working, permanent solution out there?
DramaLLama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaLLama View Post
I've researched and apparently this is a very common issue among many versions of OS X and I cannot for the life of me find a solution.

My wifi will hang and disconnect at seemingly random intervals, usually no longer than an hour or so apart until I turn off/turn on the wifi to reconnect to my network, or ANY other wifi network that I use... have you guys been having this problem and is there a working, permanent solution out there?
I have no advice. My Wi-Fi won't cut out but if I change hotspots, then go to office or home I need to toggle it off/on before it works again.

This has been going on since my Lion days... never an issue with Snow Leopard. Strangely enough, Windows XP, 7 and Win8 never have a wi-fi problem be it in boot camp or running virtually.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Go into your router and change the channel of the wireless. OS X is just more sensitive to wireless cross talk.

To check download the free iStumbler Beta and see what I mean (it's just a wireless scanner).
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
DramaLLama
macrumors 6502

Bump... changing channels didn't work, lowering MTU didn't work, making a new network location didn't work...
Old May 23, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Bump... changing channels didn't work, lowering MTU didn't work, making a new network location didn't work...
If you have a Mac Book or Mac book Pro or a Mac Book Air then try another wireless point. Then you can see if it is your Mac or the router.

Also try making a test user account and see how that connects.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
DianeK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Same problem here since upgrading to ML and tried same things you did with no resolution.
Diane
DianeK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:06 AM   #7
DramaLLama
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeK View Post
Same problem here since upgrading to ML and tried same things you did with no resolution.
Diane
I have tried EVERYTHING I could find on this subject.. I finally decided to re-format my MBP and start over again with a clean slate of ML.

...since doing so after my last post in this thread, everything is working without any trouble.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
DianeK
macrumors regular

Thanks for posting back. When it comes to OS, now that Jobs is gone, Apple is no better and perhaps even worse than Microsoft. Never thought I would ever utter those words.
DianeK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion