Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
So, today my ioSafe Rugged Portable external hard drive started acting funny...I did a successful repair in the Disk Utility but I have 300+GB of video and files from Logic that I'd like to backup safely somewhere. (It has done this once before)

I've checked out Backblaze since it was recommended to me first. That seems to be ok except I use my external as my primary TimeMachine device and according to the FAQ, I'd have to partition it to protect my files...I'm currently awaiting response from them to see if there's a way I could work around that since I don't want to partiton my drive.

In a nutshell, I want to protect my videos and Logic files only. Nothing else is of concern.

I'm basically looking for something that won't break my pockets for a temporary fix and do what I mentioned above. I'll be buying some upgrades later this year and I'm just trying to hold off until I can purchase another external device that will be used to backup my current drive.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well with videos I would rethink online backup. Video files are HUGE at backing up online may take forever.

You have to be honest with yourself, do you live a disaster prone area (Tornado Alley, Burning California or Shaky breaky West Cost or Flood Prone Area)? Then online backup might be a good option.

Plus shop around because like I said earlier video files are HUGE! Maybe a NAS (like something like a Drobo or a Synology) using a RAID 5 or better to make sure you don't loose your video work.

PS- If you do get a NAS make sure your home network is 1000 (CAT 6 cables (like from (Monoprice). Plus use a switch (I recommend the D-Link Gigabit Switch (I use two of these and they have been running great for over 3 years). This way you get the quickest network speed possible for a NAS.

Last edited:

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Here is a screen shot of the Exclude menu from Backblaze Setup. You can set it to exclude specific folders, file types, or files over a certain size.

It sounds like Backblaze would be a great option for you to backup your video files. Since it is unlimited, I use it to backup everything on my computer including video files.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 11.38.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 11.38.41 AM.png
    136.1 KB · Views: 101

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"…but I have 300+GB of video and files from Logic that I'd like to backup safely somewhere. (It has done this once before)"

"Online backup" isn't going to work for this.
You had better start re-thinking your options.

With 300gb of data, I'd suggest:

1. Get a USB/SATA docking station
and
2. One or two "bare" drives
3. Use CarbonCopyCloner to dupe the contents of your existing data drive onto a "docked drive".
With a docking station, you can also just swap the bare drives, and create a SECOND backup. Now you have three copies of what's important.

The idea is to have multiple copies of the data.

Again -- you aren't going to get 300gb up into the clouds without a lot of time and trouble, or without spending a lot of money.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Crashplan.

It's unlimited.
It's relatively cheap (and can even be free).

Look into setting up a backup to an external hard drive. Once you've seeded the drive (backed up all your files at least once), ship it to a friend or relative--preferably someone not local. They can set up crashplan on their computer and you can continue backing up your files to your drive.

Their website does a little better job explaining it.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
So, today my ioSafe Rugged Portable external hard drive started acting funny...I did a successful repair in the Disk Utility but I have 300+GB of video and files from Logic that I'd like to backup safely somewhere. (It has done this once before)

I've checked out Backblaze since it was recommended to me first. That seems to be ok except I use my external as my primary TimeMachine device and according to the FAQ, I'd have to partition it to protect my files...I'm currently awaiting response from them to see if there's a way I could work around that since I don't want to partiton my drive.

In a nutshell, I want to protect my videos and Logic files only. Nothing else is of concern.

I'm basically looking for something that won't break my pockets for a temporary fix and do what I mentioned above. I'll be buying some upgrades later this year and I'm just trying to hold off until I can purchase another external device that will be used to backup my current drive.

Another option besides backblaze is Arq + Amazon's Glacier service which is cheap (until you need to actually restore the files from backup when it gets a little pricier).

daviesgeek

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
USA!
I would highly recommend Backblaze. I've heard really good things about it. However, I haven't used it personally. I heard about it after I signed up for Crashplan. A third alternative is also Carbonite.

Here are the pros and cons of each:

Crashplan: (I use this and I'm moderately satisfied with it)
If you don't get a good backup server, it will take forever to upload your data. I had to restart the backup of my computer twice before I got a good fast server. Crashplan is not a native app; it runs in Java, which can have some odd issues. It backs up all your files. Every single one.

Backblaze: (highly recommended by people I know)
Very fast upload speeds. iOS application. Mac specific application. If I were signing up again I would use Backblaze rather than Crashplan.

Carbonite: (another recommendation)
Carbonite is recommended by a lot of people. However, the main problem I had with it is that it doesn't back up files that are bigger than 4GB (4GB I think, but there is a limit)

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I am looking into one of these options as well have have it down to Crashplan and Backblaze. Seems like splitting hairs. I do have one friend that has Crashplan and he's happy with it so far, but he hadn't heard of Backblaze at the time.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
One additional thing I forgot to mention, that I really like about Crashplan is that it uses a single interface to backup data to multiple locations.

I don't have time machine enabled, so I'm not running 2 backup processes on my machine.

Currently, I have Crash Plan set not only to back up to their servers (which is the paid portion), but also to my desktop computer over my home LAN and to an external hard drive when I remember to plug it in (free).

That's 3 backups (2 local & 1 remote) from a single program.

Another feature I really like is the weekly emails from Crashplan that let me know the status of all my backups. It let's me know that things are functioning properly, and reminds me to plug in the hard drive occasionally.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
One additional thing I forgot to mention, that I really like about Crashplan is that it uses a single interface to backup data to multiple locations.

I don't have time machine enabled, so I'm not running 2 backup processes on my machine.

Currently, I have Crash Plan set not only to back up to their servers (which is the paid portion), but also to my desktop computer over my home LAN and to an external hard drive when I remember to plug it in (free).

That's 3 backups (2 local & 1 remote) from a single program.

Another feature I really like is the weekly emails from Crashplan that let me know the status of all my backups. It let's me know that things are functioning properly, and reminds me to plug in the hard drive occasionally.

So wait, Crashplan can also backup your drives locally? Kinda like Carbon Copy Cloner included for free???

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
So wait, Crashplan can also backup your drives locally? Kinda like Carbon Copy Cloner included for free???

Carbon Copy Cloner (and SuperDuper!) create bootable clones, while Time Machine and CrashPlan do not.

Both Time Machine and CrashPlan can back up entire drives (including system files).

I think the interface for specifying what gets backed up is easier on CP; rather than excluding specific files as with TM, the user is presented with a heirarchy of folders which can be checked. I think that restoring from TM machine is easier though.

I'm also not as worried about losing versioning with TimeMachine because CrashPlan does some versioning in its backups and Dropbox handles it as well.

Also, if you don't want to pay for offsite backup, you can do that with CrashPlan too. Just set everything up on a friend or relatives computer and send them a hard drive. Your files are encrypted so no worries about prying eyes. And if you have a catastrophic data loss, just have them send you the disk.

I have my mom's computer set to back up to my desktops 2TB drive. I worry a lot less about her losing their pics.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Carbon Copy Cloner (and SuperDuper!) create bootable clones, while Time Machine and CrashPlan do not.

Both Time Machine and CrashPlan can back up entire drives (including system files).

I think the interface for specifying what gets backed up is easier on CP; rather than excluding specific files as with TM, the user is presented with a heirarchy of folders which can be checked. I think that restoring from TM machine is easier though.

I'm also not as worried about losing versioning with TimeMachine because CrashPlan does some versioning in its backups and Dropbox handles it as well.

Also, if you don't want to pay for offsite backup, you can do that with CrashPlan too. Just set everything up on a friend or relatives computer and send them a hard drive. Your files are encrypted so no worries about prying eyes. And if you have a catastrophic data loss, just have them send you the disk.

I have my mom's computer set to back up to my desktops 2TB drive. I worry a lot less about her losing their pics.

For my setup, I use TimeMachine to backup my main system (Mac Mini) drive to my TimeCapsule.

My Mac Mini also has a USB 3.0 external hard drive attached which has just files on it (music, photos, videos). This external drive is all that I am interested in backing up to Crashplan/Backblaze.

Currently, in addition to TimeMachine, I use CCC to clone that external USB drive to a dedicated folder on the TimeCapsule hard drive. For this use condition, since it's not intended to be bootable for the external drive backup, I think Crashplan has this same CCC capability built in, right?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Online backup recommendations?

Has anyone got any experience with the WD Mybook Live Duo drives? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Cloud-Storage-Drive-Mirroring/dp/B006TADRD2 They look quite interesting, as they can be setup as raid drives and have quite a high capacity. They can also be setup as cloud drives making them accessible through any web browser. I have tried a similar setup before using a pogoplug, but that was just far too unreliable to continue using, however this looks quite interesting.

I would be interested if someone has any experience with how reliable these work as nas drives and their reliability as backup drives.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
My Mac Mini also has a USB 3.0 external hard drive attached which has just files on it (music, photos, videos). This external drive is all that I am interested in backing up to Crashplan/Backblaze.

Personally, I don't have any external drives that I back up, but I can select an external drive to add to the backup. After a quick check, it appears that CP and backblaze support backing up external drives.

Currently, in addition to TimeMachine, I use CCC to clone that external USB drive to a dedicated folder on the TimeCapsule hard drive. For this use condition, since it's not intended to be bootable for the external drive backup, I think Crashplan has this same CCC capability built in, right?

I think CP will do what you want, if I understand your question correctly. You want to know if CP will copy the files from your external drive to your Time Capsule. Just mount the TC drive on your Mac and use that as the destination for the backup.

Which brings me around to another cool feature of CP: Backup Sets. You can create different backups that go to different devices. So you could have your main backup set be your user files that go onto the CP server, and a second backup set be your external media that goes to the CP server and the TC.

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
iDrive

I've been using iDrive. It's a little more expensive ($14.95/month), but like the interface. I am, however, considering moving to backblaze - just to save money.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I've been using Crashplan since 2009 (4 years) and it is flawless. I still have over 3 years left on my most recent 4 year subscription. I work for a major corporation, which as standardized on Crashplan Pro as their enterprise backup solution for all Macs.

I have the unlimited family plan... and we are backing up 8 computers (4 iMacs, 4 MBAs). The total cost (for all 8 computers) in my case is $6/month. The largest single backup is 1.5 TB.

I recently needed to do a restore to my daughter's MBA. Typically, I would have restored using Time Machine local backup, but she had turned off TM a year ago while in grad school and never re-enabled it. Hence, I was forced to do a cloud restore. Bottom line... it was flawless. I wrote a report on it somewhere here in MR recently.

I would strongly recommend Crashplan+ based on extensive personal experience.

/Jim

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I keep going back and forth looking at Crashplan and Backblaze. For what I want them to be, which is a cloud backup in addition to my local external HDD backup, they really seem to do the same thing. Backblaze just seems to be a little lower cost.

Backblaze:
1-yr: $50
2-yr: $95
3-yr: $145 (w/1-yr re-up)
4-yr: $190 (w/2-yr re-up)

Crashplan:
1-yr: $60 ($10 more)
2-yr: $115 ($20 more)
3-yr: $165 ($20 more)
4-yr: $190 (even)

jerirat

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Backup locally and Online

For many years I've kept both a local and an offsite backup. Back in the day that meant I'd backup to my server (local) and then burn key files to floppies, and later CDs. Those would be deposited in my safe deposit box. Online storage is so cheap now that my offsite backup is with Crashplan. The family plan allows me to backup 5 windows machines (including my Win8 media server running WHS 2011 in virtualbox), and 2 mac machines. My windows machines backup nightly via WHS 2011 and I use CC to backup my mac machines to a network share. The local backups have saved headaches when hard drives die.

And when my local dies (which happened late last year) the online backup was very helpful as I lost some of my data when my server died (motherboard took a couple of drives with it.)

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Sounds like a lot of good endorsements for Crashplan over Backblaze. I'll hopefully get it uploaded to their server in the next week...taking forever!

Netlinked

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Online backup alternative to Crashplan and Backblaze

Another option is www.allbackup.com, they offer unlimited backup starting at $36 yr and have an option to add USB or NAS drives to your backup. I have been using them for a couple of years and it works great (over 350GB there already)..

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Well, in the end I decided on going with Crashplan. After the week to upload ~550 GB of data, it's been pretty automatic and I like being able to backup to their servers as well as to my TimeCapsule using the same software. Going with the 1-year plan for now.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Well, in the end I decided on going with Crashplan. After the week to upload ~550 GB of data, it's been pretty automatic and I like being able to backup to their servers as well as to my TimeCapsule using the same software. Going with the 1-year plan for now.

I use CrashPlan but backup to a family member's computer for free....and its encrypted.

miblk1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Still not that cheap

Crashplan is great but unless your ready to drop $479 for a 4 year plan then its 13.99 for 10 pcs unlimited data a month.

A new site I found that has been working for me is http://www.kisercloud.com.
Its cheaper than crashplan and you have more options as well. You can get to all your backup files from your iphone and ipad as well, which is pretty cool.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Crashplan is great but unless your ready to drop $479 for a 4 year plan then its 13.99 for 10 pcs unlimited data a month.

You know, it's interesting how you say that. $14/month seems like a lot of money. But really, what is cloud backup if not insurance for our digital stuff. Most people have either homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance to cover their physical goods, but few people think about their digital stuff. And actually, going digital, it's easier to save some of the irreplaceable things (photos & videos) that regular insurance can't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.