Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2013
What features would you like to see included in Google Hangouts, in the future (Besides SMS integration)? What features/functionality would you add to it?

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
"Dumb" phone, BlackBerry, Symbian, whatever OS support. Just get it on all devices.

Oh, and SMS integration. That's actually all I want.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
SMS Integration (replace app on Android)
Online/Custom statuses
Read receipt
Unify all google services

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Online/Custom statuses
Read receipt

This is my single biggest complaint. How did they leave that out of hangouts? That seems like a horrible oversight, or maybe the beta testers never used it so never noticed it was missing.

Also, it is way choppier on the desktop than talk ever was. I think it looks clean on a phone, but the desktop version is ugly as sin and the whole layout's text is too big.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I can't think of anything they haven't said they're doing that I want.

They're integrating SMS and Google Voice "in the future".

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Online/Custom statuses
Read receipt

There already are read receipts. The little icon of the person you're talking to moves to the last message they read. It's also highlighted when they're in your chat (sense of presence is amazing) and it dims when they leave the chat.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Tea & coffee making facilities would be nice.....

I always like a brew when I'm chilling and hanging out .... ;)

---

But in seriousness, more integration of other messaging services so that they can either be redirected or tunnelled through hangouts meaning we only had 1 app to do all rather than the myriad we have at the moment.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Tea & coffee making facilities would be nice.....

I always like a brew when I'm chilling and hanging out .... ;)

---

But in seriousness, more integration of other messaging services so that they can either be redirected or tunnelled through hangouts meaning we only had 1 app to do all rather than the myriad we have at the moment.

Like AIM and Yahoo?

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Users.

Michael

...they're already there..

----------

Would that really be such a good idea? We don't want this thing to become too bloated.

I don't think that would be a good idea at all. As a matter of fact, I'd go as far as to say that would be a move backward. Doing that would require adding screen names and such, whereas you don't need to do any of that now.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

----------

I don't think that would be a good idea at all. As a matter of fact, I'd go as far as to say that would be a move backward. Doing that would require adding screen names and such, whereas you don't need to do any of that now.

Part of me really likes the idea of this being a combination of all the Google things. Now if only they'd make a WP version.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
I use GTalk to call back to my Obi Auto Attendance box that I set up oversea to make international call through local POT line. :mad:

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Let me be invisible on my phone again.

With Hangouts, the idea of availability has changed, so there won't be any "invisible" anymore. The idea with Hangouts is a similar concept to texting (as availability is concerned). Basically the idea is, even if you aren't in front of your computer or with phone in hand, you will eventually get the message the next time you have the phone (or are in front of a computer).

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I wish that were the case. But hardly anyone I know uses it. Even those showing up in my Hangouts contact list have this message: "Craig is not currently on Hangouts. You can still send messages that they will see later."

Sent a message to two people like that and they never got messages.

This thing has a long way to go. Methinks it should have debuted with SMS integration.

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.