Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Just seen the Flickr update this morning and I have to say I am very impressed.

For those not on Flickr here is an example of the new profile layout (my account).

In terms of finding new content Instagram has been my go to app as I found Flickr very clunky and cumbersome.

I think the new profile is great as it annoyed me having to bother with changing pages every couple of photos.

Getting back some of the photos I haven't seen in a while is nice as well! 1TB is going to take a lot of time to fill up too!

The one thing that has me slightly confused is the new photo view which feels more clunky to me. Portrait photos actually appear smaller than in the older interface!

Also I don't understand how they are going to generate any revenue from the current price points. Are people really that worried about ads to pay $49 a year? And who needs an extra TB for $499? I would just open up another account!

At the moment I can't seem to find out if we can view stats on photos. Is this the case for anyone else?

Anyway I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread to have a little discussion about some of the new features and quirks and gauge how the community feels about the changes.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I think that Yahoo has really hit a home run with this one. The new design is fantastic, and much better on an iPad display. And 1TB of space is huge, not to mention basically giving all the pro features away for free - so glad I didn't upgrade!

Can't seem to find stats myself acearchie, but then again I don't have 1 million views for one photo to admire so I'm not too bothered!

I think Yahoo at the moment isn't trying to make money on this, at least for now - it's all about rebranding itself and trying to win people back.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Can't seem to find stats myself acearchie, but then again I don't have 1 million views for one photo to admire so I'm not too bothered!

I think Yahoo at the moment isn't trying to make money on this, at least for now - it's all about rebranding itself and trying to win people back.

Ha! I'm a stickler for details so I want to see where people were viewing from etc.

I can understand about Yahoo trying to seriously ramp up their user base and get more content on the site but even if they are not trying to generate a profit and focus on users (which the recent purchase of tumblr would suggest) the prices still seem absurd.

I'm just not sure what the benefit of paying the extra is!

venusian

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
^ found stats
on the left hand side, under the member since there's a button with three dots, clicking that brings up the menu which includes stats.

does anyone know if it will still be there if I switch from Pro to free?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
^ found stats
on the left hand side, under the member since there's a button with three dots, clicking that brings up the menu which includes stats.

does anyone know if it will still be there if I switch from Pro to free?

That's what I was worried about. It doesn't seem to be there for me (always been a free user)

nb0Js3B.png

I did however find this:

VCUjt1x.png

But it just loads up this:

hNOUn61.png

I am crossing my fingers hoping that the functionality it just lost in the transition and stats will be made available for everyone. Here's to wishful thinking!

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
It seems that if you use the three dots thing and select popular, it then displays the "show stats" dialogue box at the top. But same for me in that it just takes you to an error page - might just be a bug, or something they haven't quite implemented yet.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I am pro user and I still have my stats. I was wondering if I switch to free am are my uploads limited monthly.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I am pro user and I still have my stats. I was wondering if I switch to free am are my uploads limited monthly.

According to what I've heard going around, and from what I've read on their new FAQ, it seems that the new free account has no limits other than 200Mb per photo, and having 3 minutes of 1080p HD video.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I do not think you will be limited to uploads but you are limited to size of the upload. To me, 200 MB is plenty per image. 3 minutes of 1080p video is not. There is still not a great replacement for YouTube I suppose.

Part of me is happy to have let my pro account expire on May 1, but then again, to get ad-free, I need to pay $50 and not the $25 I could have paid. Such is life.

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
I'm another long time 'pro' account holder with Flickr who likes the new UX.

What I'm scratching my head over is the pricing. It isn't worth $50 simply to get rid of ads. Whereas before it was worth $25 to have all my images. Seems to me that Yahoo again are making some pricing mistakes. I could have swallowed $50 for meaningful storage improvement, features, etc. but with 1 TB free, I am unlikely to pay $50 just to get rid of ads.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I'm another long time 'pro' account holder with Flickr who likes the new UX.

What I'm scratching my head over is the pricing. It isn't worth $50 simply to get rid of ads. Whereas before it was worth $25 to have all my images. Seems to me that Yahoo again are making some pricing mistakes. I could have swallowed $50 for meaningful storage improvement, features, etc. but with 1 TB free, I am unlikely to pay $50 just to get rid of ads.

I got a message from flicker saying if your a pro user nothing changes. From my understanding if you are a current pro user you can continue to pay $25.00 a year for no adds and unlimited use. I am still deciding what to do. Is there a way I can preview what the adds will look like?

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
I got a message from flicker saying if your a pro user nothing changes. From my understanding if you are a current pro user you can continue to pay $25.00 a year for no adds and unlimited use. I am still deciding what to do. Is there a way I can preview what the adds will look like?

Start new account? Then check and delete ;)

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South

Correct - through the account management pages, the 'Pro' accounts can still renew at $25 per year or $45 for two years. But I guess all that's really getting you is ad free. Better than $50, but like you I can't see what the ad-burdened pages look like. I think I'll do what Never suggests and create a dummy account just to check it out.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Correct - through the account management pages, the 'Pro' accounts can still renew at $25 per year or $45 for two years. But I guess all that's really getting you is ad free. Better than $50, but like you I can't see what the ad-burdened pages look like. I think I'll do what Never suggests and create a dummy account just to check it out.

The major advantage also of a pro account is access to detailed stats, and unlimited storage.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm debating on whether or not I should cancel my pro account once it expires in July. I don't upload a ton of images, and 1TB is more than enough since I always resize my processed DSLR images for the web anyway.

On the other hand, I do like the redesign a lot. It will certainly take some getting used to as I'm still feeling my way around the new design, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Definitely a huge step in the right direction, despite the 10,000 posts on Flickr's forums saying otherwise.

Some thoughts:

- I do agree an alternative to the justified view would be nice. It really does suck the impact out of portrait shots, especially on smaller screens. A mosaic view would be neat so there would be a little more freedom in the layout. Would not mind a blog/journal view and I can see why others would like their sets visible on the landing page.

- Do not like the icons/text overlaid on photos, it distracts from the composition.

- Not a fan of the pure black background when viewing a single image. It's a little stark.

- Currently much slower and less reliable than before, I'm sure it'll improve.

Overall feels a bit awkward and disjointed, like some new bolted onto the old.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Definitely a huge step in the right direction, despite the 10,000 posts on Flickr's forums saying otherwise.

Some thoughts:

- I do agree an alternative to the justified view would be nice. It really does suck the impact out of portrait shots, especially on smaller screens. A mosaic view would be neat so there would be a little more freedom in the layout. Would not mind a blog/journal view and I can see why others would like their sets visible on the landing page.

- Do not like the icons/text overlaid on photos, it distracts from the composition.

- Not a fan of the pure black background when viewing a single image. It's a little stark.

- Currently much slower and less reliable than before, I'm sure it'll improve.

Overall feels a bit awkward and disjointed, like some new bolted onto the old.

People really don't like change on Flickr!

I personally really like the new design. I've not noticed any slowness either unlike others - perhaps I'm lucky :D

Last edited:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
People really don't like change on Flickr!

I personally really like the new design. I've not noticed any slowness either unlike others - perhaps I'm luck :D

I do hope you're not referring to me and rather to the insane people on their forums.

I love change. As with any update there is always some polishing and tweaking to be done. It certainly isn't anywhere near as terrible as they are making it out to be.

It just feels a little unfinished.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
A bit more playing about:

• I really like the new homepage. It actually makes it worth following people now I can see their photos so big straight off the bat. Being able to interact with them from that page is great too.
  • Where are my settings? Can't seem to see them anywhere! (Just noticed it's top right. I have a very dark avatar that just blended into the black so I just didn't notice it!)
  • Having links at the bottom of "endless scrolling" page is not a good idea. It's actually a really bad idea.
  • The search in the top right is just for photos. For groups you have to go to the "Communities" header but from there you can search photos anyway!
  • Flickr has changed to B&W but the loading icons are still the familiar pink and blue...
  • Don't like the current photo pages. Portrait pictures seem very small with the giant expanse of black either side and like others I don't like all the overlays on top of them.

Out of interest as well. What have you guys gone for for your cover photo?

EDIT: From a little more digging it seems like most of the changes are actually just UI changes ontop of the old site as if you click 'edit' next to the favourites tab you are presented with the old fashioned photostream layout to mass change your titles and descriptions.

EDIT2: I have also decided I would really like to see the option to reposition a photo if Flickr decides it wants to display a square crop (Something that Facebook has had implemented for a while). Although I don't use them, I want to start some sets but at the moment it just appears as a bunch of badly cropped faces and crotches! http://www.flickr.com/photos/acearchie/sets/

Last edited:

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
A bit more playing about:

• I really like the new homepage. It actually makes it worth following people now I can see their photos so big straight off the bat. Being able to interact with them from that page is great too.
  • Where are my settings? Can't seem to see them anywhere! (Just noticed it's top right. I have a very dark avatar that just blended into the black so I just didn't notice it!)
  • Having links at the bottom of "endless scrolling" page is not a good idea. It's actually a really bad idea.
  • The search in the top right is just for photos. For groups you have to go to the "Communities" header but from there you can search photos anyway!
  • Flickr has changed to B&W but the loading icons are still the familiar pink and blue...
  • Don't like the current photo pages. Portrait pictures seem very small with the giant expanse of black either side and like others I don't like all the overlays on top of them.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Flickr was definitely due for an update. This is a move in the right direction and they had the right idea in mind by shifting the focus to images, but it needs some fine tuning.

The photostream is by far the weakest point. Too many images crammed in there and the portrait images are too small. On the flipside, I am glad they didn't go with square cropped thumbnails though because those are a whole other mess.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Flickr was definitely due for an update. This is a move in the right direction and they had the right idea in mind by shifting the focus to images, but it needs some fine tuning.

The photostream is by far the weakest point. Too many images crammed in there and the portrait images are too small. On the flipside, I am glad they didn't go with square cropped thumbnails though because those are a whole other mess.

Funnily enough I am ok with the size of the current justified photo stream but I suppose I am biased as it is very similar to my current websites layout.

I agree though that it is difficult to get the optimum height for portraits without landscapes seeming massive!

I hope this is the first of a constant stream of updates rather than just sitting stagnant like this for the next 5 years.

Although I don't really use Facebook as much as my friends I do admire their constant updates and improvements. Little bits here and there but it's still a totally different site from a few years ago.

If changes are made a little at a time it will help the less tech savvy users stay on board and not jump ship as soon as the word 'change' is mentioned!

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I hope this is the first of a constant stream of updates rather than just sitting stagnant like this for the next 5 years.

Agreed. I hope this is more of a commitment to further incremental improvements rather than the final product.

I've always struggled to find the "right" photo host. Feel that Flickr is the closest to what I'm looking for.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
I do hope you're not referring to me and rather to the insane people on their forums.

I love change. As with any update there is always some polishing and tweaking to be done. It certainly isn't anywhere near as terrible as they are making it out to be.

It just feels a little unfinished.

No I wasn't referring to you - I was referring to the people ranting on Flickr :D. It's as though they have totally forgotten the 1TB of space and the effort yahoo have gone to in trying to rebrand themselves.

I agree with you it feels unfinished. Hopefully over time it will all be polished out.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
No I wasn't referring to you - I was referring to the people ranting on Flickr :D. It's as though they have totally forgotten the 1TB of space and the effort yahoo have gone to in trying to rebrand themselves.

I agree with you it feels unfinished. Hopefully over time it will all be polished out.

I have noticed an unusually high number of people complaining about the Flickr redesign. There apparently is a petition going around to get Yahoo to change the Flickr site back to the old design - pretty crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.