Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I have the 2012 model macbook pro retina, 16gb mem, 500 HD.

In last week or so I have been having some difficulty getting my macbook to "wake up" after sleep. Each day I close the lid and after an hour or so when I open the lid but the MB won't start. If I hold the power button for a few seconds it beeps 3 times but still won’t start. Usually after repeating these steps of holding the power button it eventually starts up. Nothing in the console to suggest an error

This issue only occurs when I put the MB to sleep, and only after an hour of sleeping. Less than an hour it starts up fine.

Looking online the 3 beeps appear to be a memory issue, but I use the MB for Development so have a lot of memory hungry apps running and never had an issue. (i shut these apps down when putting it to sleep).

Booked an appointment with Apples Genius, but was wondering if anyone else is having issue. Just find it very strange that it won’t start up after sleep

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have a similar issue with my 2009 MBP. Can you get it to boot up after a hard restart (hold down the power button for 10 secs then press again to turn on)? I hope the Geniuses can help you. I've had this issue for over a year with no solution.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
It certainly works to change the sleep settings in SL. My undertanding is that it was something that came in the MacBook era after PowerBooks. Unfortunately I think my issue may not be related to hibernation. Looking for a solution in another thread.

asif10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
I have a similar issue with my 2009 MBP. Can you get it to boot up after a hard restart (hold down the power button for 10 secs then press again to turn on)? I hope the Geniuses can help you. I've had this issue for over a year with no solution.
Even the hard restart doesn't work all the times, i get the 3 beeps, but eventually it does work after 3-4 attempts

----------

I have been reluctant to change the hibernate setting (which does work if i set it to 10hrs).

What concerns me is when i try to do a hard restart i hear the 3 beeps, which suggests it could be a memory issue.

At least i am not the only who seems to be suffering with this. Will be interesting to see what Apple suggests

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Definitely get Apple to look into it. Try to get them to look at the logic board. I suspect that's where my issue is as I had nearly everything else replaced. I hope you are successful!

asif10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Those suggestions haven't completely resolved my issue, but I'm running snow leopard. Hope it works for OP!

Yup, they did work for me when i set it to 10 hrs (only because it no longer goes into hibernate mode)

----------

Definitely get Apple to look into it. Try to get them to look at the logic board. I suspect that's where my issue is as I had nearly everything else replaced. I hope you are successful!

Cheers, booked in for this Saturday, will report back what response I get from them

asif10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
[UPDATE]
Left the laptop with apple and they reported that the logic board on it had gone, so over the weekend it was replaced. The issue seemed to have resolved but this just introduced more problems. I am now having issues where the macbook wont start up half the time.

So I went back complained to the manager that the fix had made the situation worse. Surprisingly he said, he could try and repair it or because of the issues I have had with the laptop he would prefer just to offer me a new replacement :D

So that turned out well for me, I will get a replacement for my 10 month old laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.