Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 21, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer Testify In Front of Senate Committee on Tax Strategies [Hearing Over]

After jostling in competing memoranda yesterday, Apple and a group of U.S. Senators are prepared to go head-to-head in a committee hearing examining the tax avoidance strategies of Apple and other multinational corporations.

CEO Tim Cook, CFO Peter Oppenheimer, and Apple's head of tax operations Phillip A. Bullock will appear in front of the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigation in the second part of a committee hearing running now.

The hearing is streaming live on the subcommittee's website and below. We will be liveblogging the hearing at the bottom of this post.

Update: iOS users can view the hearing at NBCNews.

Apple yesterday released a statement laying out some of its international operations and financial strategies, noting that it paid $6 billion in federal income tax in 2012 and that it has created hundreds of thousands of jobs in the United States.

A bipartisan group of Senators responded with a statement of its own, accusing Apple of using several offshore subsidiaries to avoid paying income taxes. Said Senator Carl Levin (D-MI), "Apple sought the Holy Grail of tax avoidance. It has created offshore entities holding tens of billions of dollars, while claiming to be tax resident nowhere."

Earlier today, the Irish government -- where a number of Apple's subsidiaries are headquartered -- said that it was not responsible for the tax rates Apple pays in other countries and that its system was transparent.

Liveblog

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer Testify In Front of Senate Committee on Tax Strategies [Hearing Over]
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Here. We. Go.

Old May 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Screw. The. Feds.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
japanime
macrumors 65816

Another colossal waste of taxpayer money. Rather than hold hearings that amount to little more than political posturing, the lawmakers should actually do their jobs and close the loopholes.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
applesith
macrumors 68000

Listening to Levin talk is painful. What a drip.
applesith is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Cool story bro. Except tax avoidance is COMPLETELY LEGAL, and practiced by any large firm with common sense.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:50 AM   #7
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
Another colossal waste of taxpayer money. Rather than hold hearings that amount to little more than political posturing, the lawmakers should actually do their jobs and close the loopholes.

GM and Ford will tear Carl Levin a new one before they allow him to close the loopholes
alent1234 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
1080p
macrumors 68000

These dirty liberals are just drooling at the thought of getting a chunk of that 100 billion. What a shame. This isn't what our founding fathers wanted when they formed this government.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:54 AM   #9
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

Just stop for one minute and think about what's happening. Apple has been summoned to explain themselves for avoiding as much of our government's overbearing tax as possible (in a completely legal way). Our government wants to punish them anyway (or perhaps make an example of them), but since they have committed no crimes, all they can do is smear and harass Apple like this. Insanity. How long can we go on with a government like this?

Last edited by GoldenJoe; May 21, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
GoldenJoe is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #10
ECUpirate44
Banned

Not sure what all the fuss is about, Apple is practicing tax avoidance just like every other American company. Levin going one and on about all the bad things that are happening because Apple is not paying the outrageous American taxes.... How politely can Apple say "Up yours?"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Cool story bro. Except tax avoidance is COMPLETELY LEGAL, and practiced by any large firm with common sense.
Beat me to it.
ECUpirate44 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #11
tremlock
macrumors 6502

Flash player required? Really?
tremlock is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #12
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremlock View Post
Flash player required? Really?
hahah this is one of the worst video players I've ever seen.
ECUpirate44 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #13
tremlock
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenjoe View Post
just stop for one minute and think about what's happening. Apple has been summoned to explain themselves for avoiding as much of our government's overbearing tax as possible. Our government wants to punish them, but since they have committed no crimes, all they can do is smear and harass apple like this. Insanity.

How long can we go on with a government like this?
+1
tremlock is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:00 AM   #14
joshhedge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
These dirty liberals are just drooling at the thought of getting a chunk of that 100 billion. What a shame. This isn't what our founding fathers wanted when they formed this government.
Your founding fathers aren't alive anymore and shouldn't determine whom you are. Move with the times and define your own future.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:01 AM   #15
organerito
macrumors 6502

Quote:
According to you, the republicans are the answer, right?

LOL and LOL
organerito is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:02 AM   #16
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

I think the tax code should really be redone. No reason Apple should pay income taxes in the country where it made the income and then again to bring it to the US. Only time Apple should pay taxes again is for sales tax. Heck, maybe take away income tax all together and just do sales tax. I'm no economist so I don't know how that'll work, but it might be worth looking into it.

However, I feel people are so focused on maximizing profit nowadays, people & corporations need to really learn how to better themselves & other people more. Apple probably doesn't need all that money just sitting around. Why not pay higher salaries to all its employees (not just executives), invest in better machinery, training, whatever, or other reinvestments?
guzhogi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:03 AM   #17
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 601

Just stop for a minute and see what's really happening: Apple has not quietly tossed enough money into campaign re-election coffers. As soon as the money changes hands, the "investigation" will shift to others and/or quietly fade away.

AT&T made the same mistake a couple of decades ago, thinking the Gov would never come down on them. So the Gov flexed to teach all a lesson and AT&T is just recently getting itself re-assembled back into approx. the same level of muscle it had back then. What's different now? I bet if there was complete transparency in the books, you'd see that AT&T aggressively contributes to both parties and key campaign coffers. I'm guessing Apple might have a mindset similar to the old AT&T. And this could get bad if they don't figure it out soon.

If the Gov was serious about this problem, the solution is simple: tax money stored out of the country higher than if the companies imported the money and paid the tax. Base the taxation on the accounting reported for Wall Street rather than the set of books prepared for the IRS. If the tax was more expensive on revenues stored overseas than importing the money, it would be imported.

Instead, we just get this public posturing (with, I presume, a shakedown behind the scenes of some politicians trying to "educate" Apple on how things shall work).

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; May 21, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
HobeSoundDarryl is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:03 AM   #18
KentuckyHouse
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to KentuckyHouse
Quote:
I love how Teabaggers and Conservatives use "liberal" like it's a dirty word. I wear it proudly as a badge of honor. At least in the end, I'll know I was on the right side of history when the books are written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
Just stop for one minute and think about what's happening. The Obama Administration has been summoned to explain themselves for a terrorist attack on our embassy in Benghazi. Teabaggers and Republicans wants to punish them, but since they have committed no crimes, all they can do is smear and harass President Obama like this. Insanity. How long can we go on with a government like this?
Fixed that for you. Funny how if you change just a few words, it describes an entirely different atrocity.
KentuckyHouse is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #19
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by organerito View Post
According to you, the republicans are the answer, right?

LOL
I call out liberals and i'm not a Republican. I don't see liberals as "dirty". The truth is, this is a tax and spend government (from both parties, mind you) that needs more money.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #20
mactastic
macrumors 68040

This oughta be interesting.
mactastic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #21
ECUpirate44
Banned

There we go! McCain with the 100B dollar in cash mention
ECUpirate44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #22
Mackan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
Just stop for one minute and think about what's happening. Apple has been summoned to explain themselves for avoiding as much of our government's overbearing tax as possible (in a completely legal way). Our government wants to punish them anyway (or perhaps make an example of them), but since they have committed no crimes, all they can do is smear and harass Apple like this. Insanity. How long can we go on with a government like this?
Ok, so Apple isn't doing anything illegal. Neither is the government. Just sayin', since it's such a focus on legal and illegal here! How about letting some ****ing moral lead the way instead. Why do everyone have to be an ass in this world, as long as the law allows it?
Mackan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #23
starbird
macrumors 6502

Ugh. So glad THIS is what is setting the stage

"Levin says domestic companies that are not in a position to offshore their tax burden are at a competitive disadvantage. He accuses Apple of being partially responsible for the sequester and other budget cuts because of its tax avoidance strategies."

HOW? Apple, as far as I know, DID NOT submit the idea to the POTUS, who then SIGNED IT INTO LAW!!!

Morons
Old May 21, 2013, 09:06 AM   #24
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
From the article: "A bipartisan group of Senators"

But nice job running into an article, shouting whatever political ideology you probably developed in fourth grade, and running out.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:06 AM   #25
ghostface147
macrumors 65832

Quote:
And there are no conservatives on the committee? There sure are.
ghostface147 is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion