Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old May 21, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

The Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek Dies.

Quote:
Ray Manzarek, a founding member of the 1960s rock group The Doors whose versatile and often haunting keyboards complemented Jim Morrison's gloomy baritone and helped set the mood for some of rock's most enduring songs, has died. He was 74.

Manzarek died Monday in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family, said publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald. She said the musician's manager, Tom Vitorino, confirmed Manzarek died after being stricken with bile duct cancer.

The Doors' original lineup, which also included drummer John Densmore and guitarist Robbie Krieger, was only together for a few years and they only made six studio albums. But the band has retained a large and obsessive following decades after Morrison's 1971 death. The Doors have sold more than 100 million records and songs such as "Light My Fire" and "Riders On the Storm" are still "classic" rock favorites. For Doors admirers, the band symbolized the darker side of the Los Angeles lifestyle, what happened to the city after the sun went down and the Beach Boys fans headed home.

The Doors' vibe "has more to do with Charles Bukowski than it does with Farrah Fawcett," said John Doe of punk band X, a friend of Manzarek's for more than 30 years, referring to the poet and 'Charlie's Angels' star, respectively. "It has more to do with Raymond Chandler and Nathaniel West, and 'Sunset Boulevard' the movie, than it does with 'Beach Blanket Bingo,' right? ... It's a real dark place out in LA."
link

Sad to see him go.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Very sad. I've been a Doors fan since Light My Fire came out so this news hits me pretty hard. RIP Ray
Old May 21, 2013, 02:01 PM   #3
kryten2
macrumors 6502a

When the music's over...
RIP Ray. My regards to the Lizard King.
Old May 21, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

RIP. Doors were my favorite band growing up. Still listen to them a lot.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 02:49 PM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

Interesting guy. Manzarek said he never considered himself a rockstar, considering the idea to be foolish.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:55 PM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors G3

I was lucky enough to see him play the last winter. It was the last two at the time, Doors members with a stand in drummer and the singer from Wild Child. IT was incredible.

Very sad indeed.
Old May 23, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Light My Fire - my favorite organ solo
Old May 23, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Light My Fire - my favorite organ solo
One of mine, too.