Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
adnbek
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Problem with "reopen windows when logging back in" in 10.8.4?

Anybody else having problems with this feature every since the 10.8.4 update? With 3 and below, I can be sure that when I leave it unchecked, I get a clean start with no apps running. Ever since the 4 update, I occasionally get applications launching up again even though I've left the box unchecked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 6.43.14 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	413294  
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Anybody else having problems with this feature every since the 10.8.4 update? With 3 and below, I can be sure that when I leave it unchecked, I get a clean start with no apps running. Ever since the 4 update, I occasionally get applications launching up again even though I've left the box unchecked.
Heh. That was a problem with with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 I believe. Took them forever to fix it.

So... it's back, huh?
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
w0lf
macrumors 6502a
 
w0lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Anybody else having problems with this feature every since the 10.8.4 update? With 3 and below, I can be sure that when I leave it unchecked, I get a clean start with no apps running. Ever since the 4 update, I occasionally get applications launching up again even though I've left the box unchecked.
Have you tried shutting down with the option checked and then unchecking it again the next time you shutdown.

I had this issue before and that fixed it for me.
w0lf is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 06:42 AM   #4
adnbek
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
Have you tried shutting down with the option checked and then unchecking it again the next time you shutdown.

I had this issue before and that fixed it for me.
Of course. I already came up with that fix. And it works temporarily. But the problem comes back seemingly at random.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
But the problem comes back seemingly at random.
Go to this folder:

1.) You/Library/Saved Application State/
2.) Delete everything inside it.
3.) "Get info" on the Saved Application State folder
4.) Change the permissions of the folder to "Read Only".

Unless 10.8.4 has done something differently OSX won't be able to write to it thereby neutering the Resume feature. I've been using this tweak since Lion.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
adnbek
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Go to this folder:

1.) You/Library/Saved Application State/
2.) Delete everything inside it.
3.) "Get info" on the Saved Application State folder
4.) Change the permissions of the folder to "Read Only".

Unless 10.8.4 has done something differently OSX won't be able to write to it thereby neutering the Resume feature. I've been using this tweak since Lion.
But I don't want to stop the resume feature. I actually like it. I just want that damn checkbox to work properly.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
HectorCC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Problem with "reopen windows when logging back in" in 10.8.4

Hi, I have the same problem for over a year now. But it only happens on network users. I am running 10.8.4 on server and clients. I have done fresh installs of everything and created new test users and it still happens. I have tried setting application state folder to read only and nothing works. It may work for a few logins and then stops working for a few and then back again. I have tried it with a fresh install and no other apps installed to rule out other software as being the problem. Does anyone have any other idea on what to try next? It is very frustrating and even locks up mail and computer for a few seconds before I can use it when all the apps try to reopen.
HectorCC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any way to make it so the "back" and "forward" buttons in a Safari never disappear? TH55 iOS 7 57 May 10, 2014 04:31 AM
How to turn on "automatically reopen all programs and windows" on every startup Misskitty MacBook Pro 11 Jan 28, 2014 12:02 PM
iPad: Back of box says "Black" not "Space Gray" vistokid iPad 32 Dec 5, 2013 10:01 AM
Problem: Need to "paint back" screen after wake from sleep MacFro iMac 0 Sep 29, 2013 09:55 AM
GeekTool: "Send to back" problem EParila OS X 0 May 30, 2013 11:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC