Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 21, 2013, 05:45 PM   #1
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Problem with "reopen windows when logging back in" in 10.8.4?

Anybody else having problems with this feature every since the 10.8.4 update? With 3 and below, I can be sure that when I leave it unchecked, I get a clean start with no apps running. Ever since the 4 update, I occasionally get applications launching up again even though I've left the box unchecked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 6.43.14 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	413294  
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Anybody else having problems with this feature every since the 10.8.4 update? With 3 and below, I can be sure that when I leave it unchecked, I get a clean start with no apps running. Ever since the 4 update, I occasionally get applications launching up again even though I've left the box unchecked.
Heh. That was a problem with with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1 I believe. Took them forever to fix it.

So... it's back, huh?
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
w0lf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Have you tried shutting down with the option checked and then unchecking it again the next time you shutdown.

I had this issue before and that fixed it for me.
w0lf is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 06:42 AM   #4
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
Have you tried shutting down with the option checked and then unchecking it again the next time you shutdown.

I had this issue before and that fixed it for me.
Of course. I already came up with that fix. And it works temporarily. But the problem comes back seemingly at random.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
But the problem comes back seemingly at random.
Go to this folder:

1.) You/Library/Saved Application State/
2.) Delete everything inside it.
3.) "Get info" on the Saved Application State folder
4.) Change the permissions of the folder to "Read Only".

Unless 10.8.4 has done something differently OSX won't be able to write to it thereby neutering the Resume feature. I've been using this tweak since Lion.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Go to this folder:

1.) You/Library/Saved Application State/
2.) Delete everything inside it.
3.) "Get info" on the Saved Application State folder
4.) Change the permissions of the folder to "Read Only".

Unless 10.8.4 has done something differently OSX won't be able to write to it thereby neutering the Resume feature. I've been using this tweak since Lion.
But I don't want to stop the resume feature. I actually like it. I just want that damn checkbox to work properly.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
HectorCC
macrumors newbie

Problem with "reopen windows when logging back in" in 10.8.4

Hi, I have the same problem for over a year now. But it only happens on network users. I am running 10.8.4 on server and clients. I have done fresh installs of everything and created new test users and it still happens. I have tried setting application state folder to read only and nothing works. It may work for a few logins and then stops working for a few and then back again. I have tried it with a fresh install and no other apps installed to rule out other software as being the problem. Does anyone have any other idea on what to try next? It is very frustrating and even locks up mail and computer for a few seconds before I can use it when all the apps try to reopen.
HectorCC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion