Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. AppCleaner is one of the least effective of such apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

Using Finder to delete apps takes less than 30 seconds and is quite thorough. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. AppCleaner is one of the least effective of such apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

Using Finder to delete apps takes less than 30 seconds and is quite thorough. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Finder is still playing up for me on ML, so I can't be bothered. If AppCleaner leaves some files behind, no big deal as I have plenty of hard drive space left. Besides, I tested finder and the Appcleaner and I see that Appcleaner finds all files that Finder does in every uninstall I have done so far.

----------

How often do you need to uninstall applications?

Daily, as I always love installing new apps to test them and play around.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Finder is still playing up for me on ML, so I can't be bothered. If AppCleaner leaves some files behind, no big deal as I have plenty of hard drive space left. Besides, I tested finder and the Appcleaner and I see that Appcleaner finds all files that Finder does in every uninstall I have done so far.[
That's not common, unless you're installing very simple apps that don't create much more than plist files. During extensive testing, i found it left behind more than most apps, and rarely found all the files that Finder found. If you prefer to leave files behind, that's your call, as long as you're not expecting all related files to be deleted. In most cases, they'll only consume drive space and won't affect performance.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I'm back to using Finder, as the App didn't remove a lot of files of some Apps I was uninstalling. :mad:

Wheelie4

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
NC, USA
I use Easyfind in combination with Appcleaner. Easyfind fines associated files (like receipt and .bom files) 75% of the time that Appcleaner won't. I don't really need Appcleaner to do it but use it just for the heck of it. Sometime associated files don't use the app's name in the associated file(s) name but will use the developers name in the file name and I can see the developers name easy in Appcleaner allowing me to use Easyfind to search for files with the developers name in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.