Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stateof2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
I want to get a single frame of a DVD in a format that I can use in other applications. For example I want to take "screen shot" of a SNL skit to put on a flyer, what do you guys recommend I do. I have a new Powerbook.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
What DVD player program are you using? Many DVD player programs will NOT allow you to take a screenshot, because they use video overlay to display content on the screen and the OS is therefore totally ignorant of what's being shown... trying to get a screen capture sometimes results in a green or purple rectangle where the video is supposed to appear.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
don't bother with third party software...

Terminal can handle this very easy.

1. open Terminal
2. type screencapture -c
3. You're done...the screen caputre has been saved to your clipboard. You can now paste it where you like.

Also if you're more advanced type man screencapture for a lot more options.

Enjoy.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
I've always used DVD Capture. It works great if you want to take Full Screen snapshots of a DVD, but if you are viewing the DVD on a smaller scale it seems to take a snapshot a little larger than the viewing area, including whatever you have behind the DVD screen area (ie background/open window whatever). But it still does work great.

stateof2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I got my pb in feb and have not updated to tiger yet. I have just been playing the DVD's in dvd player? I am trying some of the stuff yall suggested. I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.