Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hi all,

a friend of mine at work has the 1st generation MBA. He had Mountain Lion running on it, but it did not proform well at all. He went to the genius bar over the weekend....they wiped the MBA and reinstalled....i believe Lion. System works fine now, but...and i dont have it his MBA infront of me now...but he said it created two user accounts. One he had to change the name....but when he tried migration assistant...it didnt recognize his old password. I believe he is using the correct username when doing this...but not certain. I thought i had heard about this issue before...but the solution escapes me. Does anyone know of how to correct this, so that he can bring over his old TM stuff?

thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
From your description, it sounds like he created his account on the machine, then afterward used Migration Assistant to import. If he did, MA tries to import the account into itself and creates all kinds of duplicate folders and a big mess.

The best way to straighten this out is create a new temp account (call it temp or whatever), then from inside the temp account delete his real account. Thne while still in the temp account run Migration Assistant again to import his old account and data from the Time Machine backup.

That will recreate the old account and the old PW will work. Once everything is back he can login to the old account then delete the temp account.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
From your description, it sounds like he created his account on the machine, then afterward used Migration Assistant to import. If he did, MA tries to import the account into itself and creates all kinds of duplicate folders and a big mess.

The best way to straighten this out is create a new temp account (call it temp or whatever), then from inside the temp account delete his real account. Thne while still in the temp account run Migration Assistant again to import his old account and data from the Time Machine backup.

That will recreate the old account and the old PW will work. Once everything is back he can login to the old account then delete the temp account.

Did these exact same procedure the other night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.