Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
It might be more secure but how are they supposed to take cash payments?

DollFaceDork

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Narnia
Unless they're carrying copious amounts of notes and coins in their pockets all day they do have tills, just not front of store.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
They do have tills, they're actually hidden away under most of the tables.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I avoid them on weekends as well. They do have tills, but hide them. I think that is to discourage cash sales, but they do accept cash.

Unless you're buying a cheap accessory the benefit of purchase protection with a credit card (or prepaid card) far outweighs any perceived advantage of a cash purchase. I think that advantage alone would discourage cash sales.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Unless you're buying a cheap accessory the benefit of purchase protection with a credit card (or prepaid card) far outweighs any perceived advantage of a cash purchase. I think that advantage alone would discourage cash sales.

Credit card sales only work if you not only have a credit card but also if the CC people will allow your purchase. I've tried calling the CC people the day before I wanted to buy a MBP, went through all the security questions and identified myself, told them where I was going (The Apple store in xx location), how much I was going to spend ($1800), etc and they said "OK, I will mark it, but the system may still reject your purchase." Went to Apple store the next day and Surprise! Even though I called and had more than $ 6,000 of available credit and never carried a balance they still declined the purchases (and of course blocked my card as well). I knew what was coming so I paid cash and the store people had no problem accepting $1800 in $100 bills although they did need a manager to check the bills. When I got home I called the CC people and said "Why did you decline the purchase? They told me it was because the system flagged it as unusual and probably fraudulent or a stolen card and the system could see no reason to allow it and also because I had not called in advance to let them know! Then after I identified myself again and went through all those hoops again, they said "OK, we'll remove the block and you can use your CC again so you can go back and buy the computer." I told them "haha I knew you would reject it so I was prepared and paid cash." they said "Why pay cash? You could charge it!" Dumb cc people. Never figured out why they keep doing this to me. They don't seem to keep records long enough for me to make my bi-annual Mac purchase legit. Maybe they hate people who don't carry several thousand dollars in balances every month?

Every time I make a purchase more than $100 in an Apple store I have cash just in case. It seems that Apple stores are huge targets for stolen credit cards since the products can easily be resold for a good amount.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Every time I make a purchase more than $100 in an Apple store I have cash just in case. It seems that Apple stores are huge targets for stolen credit cards since the products can easily be resold for a good amount.
It sure sounds like you need to find a different credit card to use.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
They do have 'tills' they have 'EasyPay' terminals which are basically iPod Touches which are modified to become a POS system which has a built in card reader.

images

If you pay by cash staff will create a bill using EasyPay and the Cash Draws are located under the wooden tables out of sight.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
They do have 'tills' they have 'EasyPay' terminals which are basically iPod Touches which are modified to become a POS system which has a built in card reader.

If you pay by cash staff will create a bill using EasyPay and the Cash Draws are located under the wooden tables out of sight.
Actually by strict definition, they do have tills... from the dictionary on the Mac "a cash register or drawer for money in a store, bank, or restaurant." And obviously they do have money drawers.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Actually by strict definition, they do have tills... from the dictionary on the Mac "a cash register or drawer for money in a store, bank, or restaurant." And obviously they do have money drawers.

I used quotation marks around tills because they're till isn't the average till register system.

... I don't understand what you added to my point. Nothing significant that I didn't mention already.

Guess you just want to keep your post count up.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I used quotation marks around tills because they're till isn't the average till register system.

... I don't understand what you added to my point. Nothing significant that I didn't mention already.

Guess you just want to keep your post count up.
Actually it was a misread. I read your "do have" as "don't have". I guess I didn't have enough caffeine yet when I made that post.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It sure sounds like you need to find a different credit card to use.

This. I have never had any of my banks deny large purchases at the Apple Store (or anywhere) even without me calling in advance. The only time I call to tell them of unusual usage is when I plan on using my card out of the country. You definitely need to find a new bank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.