Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 22, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Logitech Targets Schools With New $60 Wired Keyboard for iPad

Logitech today announced the upcoming launch of its Wired Keyboard for iPad, a $60 accessory specifically targeted at schools. The keyboard is available in both Lightning and 30-pin varieties and aims to eliminate the complexity of pairing numerous Bluetooth keyboards with their respective iPads in a classroom setting.
Quote:
"Schools are increasingly purchasing iPads for use in the classroom," said Mike Culver, vice president and general manager of mobility at Logitech. "While tablets are enabling new ways of teaching and testing, there's a challenge when a teacher needs to simultaneously pair multiple iPads with multiple wireless Bluetooth keyboards. We developed the Logitech Wired Keyboard for iPad to specifically solve this problem, so students can now simply plug it in and start typing."
Logitech has also given the keyboard a sturdy design to support the demands of classroom usage, with spill resistance and key lifespan of over five million strokes. The keyboard also includes a dedicated row of function keys to provide easy access to shortcuts for Siri, copy/paste, search, media playback, and more.

The Logitech Wired Keyboard for iPad with Lightning connector is expected to launch in August, with the 30-pin connector version following in October.

Article Link: Logitech Targets Schools With New $60 Wired Keyboard for iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:16 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
$60 is just a bit too much.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
amerdian
macrumors newbie

This is actually a very good idea, and it does meet a need. Steep price though, especially if schools are to purchase those in volume.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Would be cool if it had a dock port on it so it could daisy chain with your charger and keep your iPad charged while in use.
BruiserB is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

$60? Aimed at schools? Good luck with that Logitech. I can see $40, but $60 just seems outrageous.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
$30 would be more like it.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
onirocdarb
macrumors regular

Why would any school buy a $60 wired keyboard when they could get a great wireless one for half that?
onirocdarb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
bushido
macrumors 601

lol my HS is probably still using the books of 1996
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Borinthas
macrumors newbie

For $60? Cool story bro.
Borinthas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 09:45 AM   #10
nagromme
macrumors G4

Good idea--most portable keyboards are flimsy because weight is put ahead of ruggedness.

Since portability is not the goal here, it seems like it ought to have at least a stand built in--if not an actual iPad charger even. Maybe that's another product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onirocdarb View Post
Why would any school buy a $60 wired keyboard when they could get a great wireless one for half that?
Durability (saving money in the end?) is the question. IF it truly holds up, that's worth something.
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Oh come on, we ALL know how "durable" the iDevice cables are. They aren't. I wouldn't trust a bunch of kiddos with them either. My dad finds the cables all over the school every summer and brings them home for us to use since we go through so many.

I would have to agree that bluetooth keyboards would be much cheaper in the long run. Especially with large groups of students. The keyboard I have right now lasts for 1000 hours even, so it lasts you pretty much all semester with one charge. So there's not really a battery issue. Nor do you have to deal with the wires.

Wireless keyboards can be used on different devices too. So if a student happens to need one to use with a Nexus 7/10 or Kindle Fire HD, they could go ahead and borrow it with no issue.

Schools have to think long-term when buying hardware, so this is definitely a no go IMO.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #12
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
$60? Aimed at schools? Good luck with that Logitech. I can see $40, but $60 just seems outrageous.
While I agree $60 sounds much, considering its for still a relatively small market and a more durable custom design, it may be a fair value.
PracticalMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #13
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
While $60 is pretty expensive, the problem I find with wireless devices is you keep having to buy new or recharge the batteries batteries.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Kevin L.
macrumors member

More than being targeted at schools, this should be aimed at frequent fliers who can't use a bluetooth keyboard while in the air.
Kevin L. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 10:57 AM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh come on, we ALL know how "durable" the iDevice cables are. They aren't. I wouldn't trust a bunch of kiddos with them either. My dad finds the cables all over the school every summer and brings them home for us to use since we go through so many.

I would have to agree that bluetooth keyboards would be much cheaper in the long run. Especially with large groups of students. The keyboard I have right now lasts for 1000 hours even, so it lasts you pretty much all semester with one charge. So there's not really a battery issue. Nor do you have to deal with the wires.

If the iPad and keyboard remains in a classroom then the cables shouldn't be abused too terribly much. Schools are schools though and they have had wired devices since I could remember.
Wireless keyboards can be used on different devices too. So if a student happens to need one to use with a Nexus 7/10 or Kindle Fire HD, they could go ahead and borrow it with no issue.

Schools have to think long-term when buying hardware, so this is definitely a no go IMO.
Did you guys read the article? The entire purpose surrounds the following statement, "the keyboard is available in both Lightning and 30-pin varieties and aims to eliminate the complexity of pairing numerous Bluetooth keyboards with their respective iPads in a classroom setting." Therefore, durability of cables aside, apparently Logitech, by way of research or assumption, believes that paring various BT devices with iPads is "complex." Ergo, wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
While I agree $60 sounds much, considering its for still a relatively small market and a more durable custom design, it may be a fair value.
I didn't say it wasn't fair, I just don't think that's a proper price point for schools.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:21 AM   #16
nsayer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did you miss the part of the story that talked about the hassle of pairing a couple of dozen iPads to wireless keyboards in a classroom full of kids?

I don't know if doubling the price justifies the decreased hassle, but I am still astonished that you asked that question when you were quite literally looking directly at the answer.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Penny wise and pound foolish.

iPads and eBooks are far more durable (even taking breakage into account) and in the long run less costly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerdian View Post
This is actually a very good idea, and it does meet a need. Steep price though, especially if schools are to purchase those in volume.
I would assume that volume purchases would naturally result in a volume discount.
nsayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:22 AM   #17
jumanji
macrumors member

love the idea...too expensive
jumanji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #18
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

i bought a wireless logitech keyboard with stand for 70 but it doesn't look as nice
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

No, no, NO. All those nooks and crannies... I work in a school and let me tell you, it's like a virus frappe. Also, LOOSE? No, 20 bucks more you get a case with a built in KB. I will buy zero of these.
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #20
CReimer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
My high school history book in the early 1980's didn't have the Viet Nam war, the Watergate scandal, or the Iranian hostage crisis. The 1960's and 1970's were taboo subjects. If you wanted to learn something, you really needed to teach yourself and/or go to college.
CReimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 01:18 PM   #21
Banyan Bruce
macrumors member

$60 and aimed at schools...

.......best laugh I've had all day !

Rethink this one Logitech. It is a none starter, I don't care how good it is.
Banyan Bruce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 03:28 PM   #22
topher01
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Logitech's Got It Right!

[QUOTE/]

Wireless keyboards can be used on different devices too. So if a student happens to need one to use with a Nexus 7/10 or Kindle Fire HD, they could go ahead and borrow it with no issue.[/QUOTE]

Jessica Lares, I agree with all of your pro's but the problem is not with the hardware, it's with the teachers.

I've been teaching for thirteen years and have become the unofficial tech at my school sight (never tell anyone you know anything about computers ;-( ). Most teachers wont even check to see if their equipment is properly plugged in before giving up. This is a low-fi, simple solution that each teacher, regardless of tech ability, can implement. 90% of bluetooth keyboards will languish on the shelves and students will never utilize the ipads to their full potential. This keyboard is BRILLIANT at solving the ID-10T errors in our schools.
topher01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 06:39 PM   #23
.Asa
macrumors regular

What's wrong with the on-screen keyboard? I kind of actually prefer it over a physical one.
Old May 22, 2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Did you guys read the article? The entire purpose surrounds the following statement, "the keyboard is available in both Lightning and 30-pin varieties and aims to eliminate the complexity of pairing numerous Bluetooth keyboards with their respective iPads in a classroom setting." Therefore, durability of cables aside, apparently Logitech, by way of research or assumption, believes that paring various BT devices with iPads is "complex." Ergo, wires.

I didn't say it wasn't fair, I just don't think that's a proper price point for schools.
Great way to teach kids tech: just dodge the nagging "hard" parts.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 07:31 AM   #25
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Great way to teach kids tech: just dodge the nagging "hard" parts.

Glassed Silver:mac
I don't think not wanting to pair a bunch of BT devices with an iPad a lesson to dodge the "nagging hard parts." I don't agree that the pairing of a BT device is all that "complex" as the article suggests, but to each their own. There are far worse lessons being taught in school today that outweigh this supposed one.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion