Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Im starting a thread similar to what i started for nexus 7 vs mini. I Purchased a mini eventually and am very happy with it.

Can people who have used both compare it with respect to

(i) Battery life- I have researched on this and consensus is ipad 4 has better battery life. Another thing that really irritates me abt android is , the idle percentage battery drain is huge ( 1% per hour and sometimes more). That means after 24 hours i would have lost more than 24% charge on my android phone(even tho data/wifi/gps is turned off) while in case of my mini i lose 1% every 24 hours.

Does Nexus 10 face similar problems. How is general battery usage and idle battery drainage?

(ii) Longevity- I recently saw a thread in ipad section where everyone's experience with ipads longevity has been very postive( People still have their ipad 1 functioning very well). This aspect i want to get clarified with someone who owns nexus 10.

Does the nexus slow down after some months of usage? Any other issues crop up?

(iii) Nexus 10 has better dpi. But is that really noticeable in real world usage?

Im very confused. Any pointers would be appreciated and please only if u have used the devices , then comment. I dont want specs comparison. Sorry if this sounded rude and thanks in advance.

:)

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
The very design of android's multitasking will result in less battery life. Its probably possible to minimize it by turning off things in the background.

Another thing to note is the vast number of tablet optimized apps on the ipad.

Watch the twit before you buy nexus 10 review, it is really informative.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The nexus 10 is definitely much faster on the web and apps due to the true cortex a15. It also has blazing fast flash storage and I prefer the soft touch backing material to hard aluminum. Its stereo front facing speakers and wolfson DAC are excellent as well. The OS goes down to your personal preference. You can't go wrong with either but you get a 32gb nexus 10 for 499 vs only a 16gb at the same price. The nexus 10 flash memory is over 100MB/s which is pretty much unheard of in any arm tablet/phone device. This makes android much more responsive as it is literally 4-5 times faster than the flash storage in the nexus 7. Compared to the transformer prime/tf300t/tf700 the flash memory is like 8-10 times faster. You won't have to worry about updates with either, but expect more functionality to be added by updates with the nexus 10 as android updates tend to be more substantial than iOS and google doesn't tend to leave features out on older devices like apple.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Honestly, the one reason to get an iPad is app support. The iPad is and always has been light years ahead of Android tablets in terms of tablet-supported apps, though that gap is quickly being closed. I would say if scaled phone apps that don't look as nice are fine with you, by all means, I would go with the Nexus 10. There's much more customization options with it and the fact that it's a Nexus device means quick software updates directly from Google unlike some other OEM tablet. It also means the tablet is very hackable if you're into or looking to try custom ROMs, etc...

There are also a few other benefits to the Nexus 10 such as its front-facing stereo speakers which are very nice. I also find that holding the Nexus 10 feels much better than any tablet I've ever tried. The plastic back may a bit of a turn-off but the device itself feels very nice in the hand.

In terms of battery life, yes, the iPad does have the edge here. My Nexus 10 seems to last around an hour less than my iPad does but that's to be expected since it's Android. The Nexus 10 won't slow down after months of use, not sure where you would get that from. Finally, the screen...while the Nexus 10 does indeed have a higher density and resolution than the iPad, it won't be noticeable. Both look just as good and I personally don't prefer one over the other. The Nexus 10 screen is .4 inches larger than the iPad and has about 36 more ppi but again, not noticeable.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Im starting a thread similar to what i started for nexus 7 vs mini. I Purchased a mini eventually and am very happy with it.

Can people who have used both compare it with respect to

(i) Battery life- I have researched on this and consensus is ipad 4 has better battery life. Another thing that really irritates me abt android is , the idle percentage battery drain is huge ( 1% per hour and sometimes more). That means after 24 hours i would have lost more than 24% charge on my android phone(even tho data/wifi/gps is turned off) while in case of my mini i lose 1% every 24 hours.

Does Nexus 10 face similar problems. How is general battery usage and idle battery drainage?

(ii) Longevity- I recently saw a thread in ipad section where everyone's experience with ipads longevity has been very postive( People still have their ipad 1 functioning very well). This aspect i want to get clarified with someone who owns nexus 10.

Does the nexus slow down after some months of usage? Any other issues crop up?

(iii) Nexus 10 has better dpi. But is that really noticeable in real world usage?

Im very confused. Any pointers would be appreciated and please only if u have used the devices , then comment. I dont want specs comparison. Sorry if this sounded rude and thanks in advance.

:)

My nexus 7 with a much smaller battery than the nexus 10 lasts more than a week in idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.