Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitter.jpg
Twitter has updated its Mac app today, adding notification support. When a Direct Message or mention is received, users will now be alerted with a popup notification. This option can be configured in the app's Preferences window.

The update also brings a number of bug fixes:
- Fix for Growl notifications not working in Lion and Mountain Lion
- Fix for bug that prevented un-favoriting tweets
- Fix for missing account switcher in composer
- Fix for error message when posting a tweet with a pasted image
- Fix for enlarged avatar when dragging a tweet into an email
- Fixes for crashes and various other bugs
Twitter has been making an effort to improve the performance of its Mac app in 2013, releasing its first update in two years in April to add Retina display support, new photo sharing options, and additional languages.

Twitter for Mac is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for Mac Updated with Notification Center Integration, Bug Fixes

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
It's things like this that make me wish I had a purpose for my Twitter account. I never quite figured out if it is useful or not.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
It's things like this that make me wish I had a purpose for my Twitter account. I never quite figured out if it is useful or not.

I used to have fun with mine when I had 400 followers. Once I got over 1,000 it was not fun anymore because it was so hard to find my favorite people's tweets. I don't even know who half the people are anymore.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
I wonder (hope, but doubt) if the Notification Center notifications will take the place of the OS X Twitter notifications that take you out to the website...

hp.

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I can't seem to get Growl notifications to display. I have Twitter enabled in Growl, and Growl enabled in Twitter. I even tried disabling Twitter from Notification Center.

Any ideas?

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I wonder (hope, but doubt) if the Notification Center notifications will take the place of the OS X Twitter notifications that take you out to the website...

I believe you gotta disable to the OS X Twitter notifications and enable them in the Twitter app alone (to avoid duplicate alerts). Clicking the app alert will then open the app. Would be nice to only use OS X system alerts and have them open the app rather than the web (so you don't have to leave the app running) but I guess that's a fairy tale.

----------

I can't seem to get Growl notifications to display. I have Twitter enabled in Growl, and Growl enabled in Twitter. I even tried disabling Twitter from Notification Center.

Any ideas?

People still use growl? :p

hp.

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
I believe you gotta disable to the OS X Twitter notifications and enable them in the Twitter app alone (to avoid duplicate alerts). Clicking the app alert will then open the app. Would be nice to only use OS X system alerts and have them open the app rather than the web (so you don't have to leave the app running) but I guess that's a fairy tale.

----------

I'm not much of a person, really.

MACRM32

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Portugal

Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue. Notification Center seemed to work just fine, tough.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I used to have fun with mine when I had 400 followers. Once I got over 1,000 it was not fun anymore because it was so hard to find my favorite people's tweets. I don't even know who half the people are anymore.
You can use lists or smarter Twitter clients to manage that--or just follow only who you want to. TweetBot offers a fairly simple way to only see tweets from those you want to see.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

----------

I'm having the same issue. Notification Center seemed to work just fine, tough.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get notifications to work! I have Growl installed and the settings configured but they don't work. I made sure the settings in the Notification Center were turned off for Twitter but I get nothing. I then turned off notifications for Twitter in Growl and turned them on in the NC but still nothing shows up.

All this with Tweetbot installed so I know when the notifications are coming in. I just can't stand it because it's much slower to navigate than the official app and I don't use all the added features.

The funny thing is at some stage notifications worked for the official app but then I started using Tweetbot. Now that I'm back to the official app I've noticed they don't work and I don't know why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.