Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 22, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
putongnihongo
macrumors member

iOS 7 map surprises: throw in your view!

Personally I think one of their biggest talking points will be:

Map tweaks specifically for Asia
Ok before anyone says what is the big deal, remember the latest iOS update had specific updates just for Japanese maps. There will be an announcement that in selective regions users can search for locations not just by street but by the names of the buildings. For users in places like Hong Kong this is of the greatest importance. Asia is a major market for Apple and the crippled mapping has pissed off the users.

Cooperation with various global business registries and related sites to increase accuracy and offerings of POIs
If anyone has been looking for the past 16 months, Apple has spent a serious amount of time recruiting engineers and experts that specialize in backend data pipe lines.

Expansion of voice direction languages
Derp

Night Mode
putongnihongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
rak007
macrumors 6502a

Google maps again becoming default maps app for iOS devices :P
rak007 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
watchthisspace
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
Neevvverrrr!
Old May 23, 2013, 06:24 PM   #4
daviddth
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
At least almost 12 months down the track their data for town is still correct. Apple have done no updates and error corrections at all in town, despite being made aware of over 60 errors
daviddth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

i like the idea
but i think that the new google maps are the best maps i have EVER seen.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
beaniemyman
Banned

Quote:
agreed, google maps should be the default maps app.
beaniemyman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:26 PM   #7
ppeyton1143
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
Neevvverrrr!
agreed, apple maps should make a comeback, they were way better.
ppeyton1143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
ideal.dreams
macrumors 68000

I would love to see Apple Maps get an overhaul but I don't think it's going to happen. I've submitted over 50 changes to many places in my area and not a single one has been corrected. Like many other things Apple has done recently, it's half baked. They talk it up to be this great new addition to iOS and then don't touch it again. Siri is STILL in beta and STILL needs improvement. Passbook isn't nearly as useful as Apple made it out to be when it was first released (note that there are less than 50 apps that support Passbook).

Just recently I used Apple Maps to navigate and the app wouldn't load visual navigation after using it for a few minutes. I had to stop navigation and then start it back up. It got so annoying that I had to use Google's maps. What a nice change that was. It was so nice seeing places where they should be, along with numerous other things that Google has perfected.

I gave Apple Maps a fair try, honestly. The aesthetics are outstanding but the data is ****. And to add insult to injury, it seems as though Apple isn't doing a damn thing to fix it.
ideal.dreams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 02:57 PM   #9
VulchR
macrumors 68000

The 'surprise' is that the information in my area will still suck. The problem seems to be that Apple has contracted with the wrong partners in my part of the UK, and doesn't seem to want to use its large overseas stash of cash to hire somebody to do things properly in Scotland. I pay no less for my iPhone than somebody in New York. I get why Apple released Maps when it did, but it should be focusing on rectifying things. Google has been by my town several times this year judging by the pictures, whereas Apple still hasn't corrected business POI information that I have been submitting since the first day Maps came out.
Old May 24, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

I expect to be surprised they can still include it with a straight face.
The Phazer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 03:47 PM   #11
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
The number 1 "feature" I'm looking for in iOS 7 is the ability to change the default app.

Damn I'd love to use the gmail app, but it's too much hassle since its not at all "baked in" to the OS... same goes for maps. Especially when google realise their new iPhone app!
MasterHowl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 03:52 PM   #12
spacehog371
macrumors regular

I have Google maps on my phone but rarely use it. I use Apple's most of the time, and some of the time I use Waze. Apple maps rarely lets me down. International support may suck, but this just isn't an issue in the U.S. for most people.

The majority of people here don't even realize that the maps are different. Most of my friends and family still think they are using Google maps.
spacehog371 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by putongnihongo View Post
Personally I think one of their biggest talking points will be:

Map tweaks specifically for Asia
Ok before anyone says what is the big deal, remember the latest iOS update had specific updates just for Japanese maps. There will be an announcement that in selective regions users can search for locations not just by street but by the names of the buildings. For users in places like Hong Kong this is of the greatest importance. Asia is a major market for Apple and the crippled mapping has pissed off the users.

Cooperation with various global business registries and related sites to increase accuracy and offerings of POIs
If anyone has been looking for the past 16 months, Apple has spent a serious amount of time recruiting engineers and experts that specialize in backend data pipe lines.

Expansion of voice direction languages
Derp

Night Mode
Like now when I triple click home button?
Old May 28, 2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Apple will never admit they made a mistake and reverse course, remember the Antennagate issue with the IP4, Jobs never and Apple never admitted they did something wrong and reversed their course, they fixed the issues and moved on with the 4S. So they will do the same with Apple Maps, personally I use them and never have an issue, they will only get better from here, but if you like Google Maps, just download the app, simply solution
Old May 28, 2013, 10:26 AM   #15
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

All I want is the Google or Apple maps to offer the offline caching that Google Maps offers on Android. You simply draw a box around the region you want to download and hit save. That simple. Not sure why it's absent in Google' iOS offering.
fivedots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 11:41 AM   #16
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
. Not sure why it's absent in Google' iOS offering.
It could be because Google may think if you like it so much you should buy and Android powered device
Old May 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #17
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
It could be because Google may think if you like it so much you should buy and Android powered device
Ha, maybe, but it's one of those features that you'd only know existed if you had already used an Android device.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Really, Apple needs to do more to improve their maps using the submissions people are making.

Just looking at central London - University College Hospital (one of the most important hospitals in London) has its pin in totally the wrong place.

In fact, they've put the pin at University College London across the road (which doesn't actually have its own pin). It's confusing enough for people who don't know the area!

According to Apple, this is a hospital:

and this building is of no importance whatsoever:

I've submitted corrections like a hundred times. It's been like this since the beta.
Saladinos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 01:00 PM   #19
netpositive
macrumors newbie

the maps are lacking
but the users are willing
closed api holds you back
netpositive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2013, 11:10 PM   #20
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Just night mode will be enough for me. I downloaded Waze because I drive half the time at night and really prefer not being blinded by my own phone.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:18 PM   #21
flux73
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the complaints. What are people using it for that it's so critical? I've used it like maybe, twice ever since I got my iPhone 5. The only time I could see really finding maps all that important is if I traveled a lot. I know my own town pretty well, and my own car has built in GPS with voice navigation.

And Google Maps is available if you prefer it, so what's the problem?

Now a new keyboard - THAT I would like to see.

Last edited by flux73; May 29, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
I don't understand the complaints. What are people using it for that it's so critical? I've used it like maybe, twice ever since I got my iPhone 5. The only time I could see really finding maps all that important is if I traveled a lot. I know my own town pretty well, and my own car has built in GPS with voice navigation.

And Google Maps is available if you prefer it, so what's the problem?

Now a new keyboard - THAT I would like to see.
New IME is a must.

I have an HTC One and an iPhone. Its no contest. Seriously, not even close. Especially now that I can use emoji on Android
Parise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 09:48 PM   #23
xcvista
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to xcvista Send a message via MSN to xcvista
I wish this is true - Google Maps serves perfect in my place (Municipality of Shanghai) but Apple's and Bing's are **** here. (Bing's are double ****).
xcvista is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7