Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
K this has always bothered me so maybe I will get your opinions. What is the most efficient way to take photos on my iPhone 5? I have photo stream turned on on my devices. It seems whenever I take a photo I have to delete it twice if I do not like it. Once from camera roll then once from photo stream. This is HIGHLY annoying. I would just like to go through and delete unwanted photos one time. I can not figure out anyways to do this. I really do not understand the way that Apple has set this up. There is really no need for "camera roll" as I see it. I could just delete my unwanted photos from "photo stream" and I would be set.......Any ideas?

fw221

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
If you take photos with the Camera+ app you can save the ones you like and delete the rest.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Doesn't make it more efficient though. Because then I have to save the ones that I DO want....and to my photo stream if I want it on my computer.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Unless you turn off photo stream really no real answer I just don't use photo stream because I don't want all my pics pushed to all my iOS devises nor my MacBook for the reason you stated. I may delete a pic I took because I didn't like or need it. Then once and a while I do a back up to my computer and then I haves back up of the pics I want and not have to go back through just to delete the bad ones. Just my thoughts hope that helps.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
OK but.....Even if you have Photo Stream turned off.....If you take a pic that you don't like you still would have to delete it from both the Photo Stream and your Camera Roll would you not? (two times)

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
OK but.....Even if you have Photo Stream turned off.....If you take a pic that you don't like you still would have to delete it from both the Photo Stream and your Camera Roll would you not? (two times)

Here's my workflow:

- take said picture
- let it upload to photostream (I take advantage of Power Nap on my MacBook and let the photos upload to iPhoto while it sleeps)
- keep (and face tag if you're like me) the pics you want and delete from there.
- plug iPhone into MacBook and delete camera roll with one click of a button.
- sync your photos (albums) through iTunes.

Basically all your albums and no camera roll.

EDIT: I reread your original post and I see what you're saying. I don't really pay attention to my normal photostream. I use shared photostreams with my wife... You'd have to delete both your photo and the copy in photo stream.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If photo stream is off you only need to delete it from your camera roll. I never turned it on and don't have duplicates.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Here's my workflow:

- take said picture
- let it upload to photostream (I take advantage of Power Nap on my MacBook and let the photos upload to iPhoto while it sleeps)
- keep (and face tag if you're like me) the pics you want and delete from there.
- plug iPhone into MacBook and delete camera roll with one click of a button.
- sync your photos (albums) through iTunes.

Basically all your albums and no camera roll.

EDIT: I reread your original post and I see what you're saying. I don't really pay attention to my normal photostream. I use shared photostreams with my wife... You'd have to delete both your photo and the copy in photo stream.

how do you delete your whole camera roll with one click from a computer?

I rarely connect with a cord because itunes syncs wirelessly...

Last edited:

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Another thing that I just realized is that iPhoto shows videos taken on your iphone....but will not play them...it has somehow turned my videos into a 1 frame photo of them....ruined....this system needs work.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I hardly ever pay attention to Photostream.
I treat it as a photo backup. Once you get past 1000, older photos are deleted. Just doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

The alternative is to use Dropbox. Upload your pics using the Dropbox app. Then just delete your camera roll when you're done with one click when you plug your phone into your computer.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
the thing is photostream automatically deletes photos after 1 month or if you've reached the 1000 limit so you don't need to worry about them

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Deletes them? Oh that's good haha (sarcasm).... So if I am traveling my wonderful photos might just be gone when I get home? Sweet

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Doesn't make it more efficient though. Because then I have to save the ones that I DO want....and to my photo stream if I want it on my computer.
Yes it does. What happens is that the pictures you take are being saved in Camera+'s so called Lightbox (which is comparable to its own camera roll). You can scroll through the pictures and delete the ones you don't want to keep. After that, you hit "save all" and that will save those pictures you liked to the camera roll - which means they're also sent to your Photo Stream.

This is how I do things, because I had the same issues as you and I must say it's really simple. I just shoot away like crazy, then when I have the time I go through the pictures to get rid of the bad ones. The fact that you have to hit "save all" to save them to the camera roll is definitely easier than having to delete the bad pictures twice :)

No, because if you have Photo Stream turned off, the photos aren't sent there.

Another thing that I just realized is that iPhoto shows videos taken on your iphone....but will not play them...it has somehow turned my videos into a 1 frame photo of them....ruined....this system needs work.
This is simply not true. The only way iPhoto turns your video into a single picture is if you export it to a .jpg. When you import videos from your phone, it imports the videos and it will play them. But if you want to export a video, you have to choose "Original" in the "Kind"-option. This means if you want to export for instance a few pictures and a video, but you don't want to export the full sized or original pictures, you need to export them separately.

Deletes them? Oh that's good haha (sarcasm).... So if I am traveling my wonderful photos might just be gone when I get home? Sweet
Photo Stream isn't supposed to be anything but a temporary storage, so if you're travelling and expecting to use Photo Stream as the place to store your vacation photos, you're simply not informed about what Photo Stream is.

---

All in all, I recommend that you read up on what Photo Stream is, what it does and how it works. Because to me it seems you don't really know, which could mean you're going to lose pictures you'd really want to keep...

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I take pictures and upload them to my Dropbox account.

That seems to be a much better option for the guy who started the thread. Turn off Photo Stream and open the Dropbox app when on wifi from time to time...

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
how do you delete your whole camera roll with one click from a computer?

I rarely connect with a cord because itunes syncs wirelessly...

(Within iPhoto) All of my photos were uploaded via Photostream. If you click on your iPhone in the left hand column, it'll have a button right in the middle of iPhoto that says "delete all photos from iPhone" or something to that nature.

Even if you have a photo that didn't go through Photostream, once you upload from your device, it'll ask if you want to keep it on your phone or delete.

If you go back to photos and then back to device it'll have the option to "delete all"

Hope this helps.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
3 good pieces of advice here...

1 - I will try Camera+ for sure
2 - Dropbox might also be a good idea..although I don't know how to get a photo to it from the phone but Im sure it will make sense...
3 - You are right I do need to read up on photostream. I do NOT know how it is supposed to work. That is why I wrote this thread....I would love to see some explanation from Apple but...I haven't seen one...

Thanks guys I will try all of these...

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

You do realise that people don't HAVE to reply to this thread and help you don't you?

So when somebody takes time out to reply and offer advice you should show some respect and cut down on the sarcasm.

Anyway, for people in this thread trying to delete the entire camera roll in one click on a computer, you can actually do this on the phone.

Go to Settings - General - Usage - Camera Roll

Here you can swipe to delete everything in one.

Might come in handy! :)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
3 good pieces of advice here...

1 - I will try Camera+ for sure
2 - Dropbox might also be a good idea..although I don't know how to get a photo to it from the phone but Im sure it will make sense...
3 - You are right I do need to read up on photostream. I do NOT know how it is supposed to work. That is why I wrote this thread....I would love to see some explanation from Apple but...I haven't seen one...

Thanks guys I will try all of these...

You download the app from App Store, open the app, set it up to automatically upload the photos. Then you just have to open the app (you can press the home button to close it immediately if you want) and it will upload the pictures in the background.

Very simple.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So the reason I normally have photo stream on is because I rarely connect my phone to the computer with the cable... So it made it easy to get my photos onto the computer... But I think I will do as you guys suggested and just turn photo stream off on my phone.... So what will be the easier way to get photos and videos to the computer now? I guess ill have to connect with the cable?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
So the reason I normally have photo stream on is because I rarely connect my phone to the computer with the cable... So it made it easy to get my photos onto the computer... But I think I will do as you guys suggested and just turn photo stream off on my phone.... So what will be the easier way to get photos and videos to the computer now? I guess ill have to connect with the cable?

Dropbox or cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.