Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22, 2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Financial Times writer says Apple should focus on devices not iOS

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/62b7a...#axzz2U4fD8I2S

I disagree. I think software (and services) is where Apple is lagging at the moment. Farhad Manjoo mentions shrinking margins. How does releasing a cheaper/mid-range phone increase margins? Part of the reason Apple's margins have shrunk (from an abnormal high) is because of how well the iPad mini and iPhone 4/4S are selling. Also why does he assume all Apple is doing is throwing a new coat of paint on iOS? Or that re-designing the UI is nothing more than a new coat of paint?

Last year most of Apple's releases were hardware focused (aside from maps). I think it makes sense to focus on software/services this year.
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013, 08:42 AM   #2
The Phazer
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, UK
Apple either need to focus on software or get out of software.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
beaniemyman
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
no! iOS also needs focus and currently iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, iOS doesn't even have many basic features, it has got all those same old apps and theme, android is doing everything it can to snatch apple's customers and that guy is telling that apple should focus on devices, wow.
beaniemyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4
otismotive77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemyman View Post
no! iOS also needs focus and currently iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, iOS doesn't even have many basic features, it has got all those same old apps and theme, android is doing everything it can to snatch apple's customers and that guy is telling that apple should focus on devices, wow.
agreed, although the idevices need more focus but you can't deny the fact that iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, if apple doesn't comes up with a great new version of iOS, apple's position is going to get worse.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Risco
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United Kingdom
That is why he writes for the Financial Times and not a tech site....
__________________
15" Macbook Pro 2012, 2.3ghz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD | iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey
Risco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 01:29 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Sounds like the article is more focused on short gains. Like OMG Samsung got a new phone, Apple must release another to counter! Apple been always on a longish term outlook.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 06:26 PM   #7
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a
 
tmanto02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Well Financial Times is WRONG!
__________________
iPhone 5 for on the go|iPad Air for on the couch|Mac mini for Plex Home Theatre
MacBook Pro w/ Retina display
for everything else
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 09:23 PM   #8
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
"Financial Times writer"

There's your problem. Hardware makes significantly more money than software.

Investors want profit margins, not pretty UIs.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9
tee-tz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I think the writer is overestimating the work, or rather 'paint job', going into iOS7. The new UI is not the only thing Apple is - or should be - doing. But it's a good part of their overall strategy.

In my opinion, what makes the iPhone so appealing is beautifully designed casing around intuitive and user-friendly software. It's difficult to quantify that experience per se, but it's suffice to say that experience is what generates the billions in sales. Therefore, if Apple is to keep their edge, then surely it must continue to invest in paint jobs that enhance the experience. It's as - if not more - important than the annual hardware redesigns.

The second part regarding margins is however true. Apple will need to look at where they can improve; but services are an area where additional revenue can be derived from. And it's only down to 'paint jobs' that Apple can differentiate their web services from the other host of competitors. So I think it's a necessary step, albeit not the only one, which will continue to make Apple competitive.

So basically, redesigning iOS is not the only thing Apple should be doing. But it's the least they should be doing.
tee-tz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
jbenkelman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
I've never heard anyone say that they were leaving the iPhone because they found a better working phone, or a nicer looking one at that. It's not the hardware. Is it always superior? No. The bar a higher now as more competition has entered into the game. That to me makes me feel confident that apple knows that they need to continue to do to be the best.

On the other hand, I have heard people leave their iphone for another phone because of software. There is room for improvement here from the second after a new OS will be announced. Our software needs are changing daily. What once was cool and needed, can be useless and old, and something fresh needs to be developed to fill that void. I think apple has neglected to stay on top of this in the last few years. I'm confident ios 7 will put writers like this to rest.

My device and hardware is beautiful. I need my operating system to make me feel that same thing again.
jbenkelman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:36 AM   #11
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
The retina display is really sharp, and vibrant. The A6 is really fast. The battery life is good enough to last more than a day. And it's very thin and very, very light. I really can't ask for more from mobile hardware.

I find that the hardware is more than capable of delivering a good experience. They should focus on software. I like my iPhone, and the only thing lacking is iOS. If they give it a facelift and improve features, then I can comfortably say that the iPhone is easily the number one phone to buy.

But right now, I have to think twice because there are phones like the HTC One.
I sincerely hope that the rumours are true.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 06:54 AM   #12
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenkelman View Post
I've never heard anyone say that they were leaving the iPhone because they found a better working phone, or a nicer looking one at that. It's not the hardware. Is it always superior? No. The bar a higher now as more competition has entered into the game. That to me makes me feel confident that apple knows that they need to continue to do to be the best.

On the other hand, I have heard people leave their iphone for another phone because of software. There is room for improvement here from the second after a new OS will be announced. Our software needs are changing daily. What once was cool and needed, can be useless and old, and something fresh needs to be developed to fill that void. I think apple has neglected to stay on top of this in the last few years. I'm confident ios 7 will put writers like this to rest.

My device and hardware is beautiful. I need my operating system to make me feel that same thing again.
True. People don't leave their iPhone because of the performance, or because they don't like the camera, or because it looks ugly. People do because the software is lacking.

I advise you not to listen to the journalists, as they tend to hop onto bandwagons and exaggerate things. They also post link-bait articles to try and attract more people, and thus give them more ad revenue.

For example, look at the iPhone 5. They gave it LTE and a bigger screen. The journalists shifted their approach from "iPhone lacks all of these features. Apple has stopped innovating" to "Apple is catching up. They have stopped innovating". They know that Apple attracts a lot of attention, so these will be perfect.

To prove my point, one of android 4.1's most touted feature was "project butter", which is supposed to cut down lag. People were frothing at those features. Imagine if it was Apple: we'd get the bullcrap that they are playing catch-up.

So, journalists will be journalists. Even if iOS 7 is amazing, all of the new features and new looks will be classified as "Apple is playing catch-up"; and all of the innovative features will be classified by most as "neat, but not useful". Just like reminders, do not disturb, and the others. So don't pay attention to that crap.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Apple either need to focus on software or get out of software.
I don't want the iPhone to get android or windows phone. Yuck.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #13
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
agreed, although the idevices need more focus but you can't deny the fact that iOS needs apple's focus more than ever, if apple doesn't comes up with a great new version of iOS, apple's position is going to get worse.
yep, iOS needs apple's focus more than ever. they need to change it, refresh it, make it more user friendly. the 50% success of apple belongs to iOS, they should never forget this fact.
blitzer09x87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Dmunjal
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzer09x87 View Post
yep, iOS needs apple's focus more than ever. they need to change it, refresh it, make it more user friendly. the 50% success of apple belongs to iOS, they should never forget this fact.
Some say the problem is not the look and feel of iOS or the hardware but the services.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techc...3/9wT4u72cQl8/
Dmunjal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
brendu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
I cant read the article because I am not going to register for the site but if he is really saying they need to focus more on hardware than software right now his guy is a clown. Apple is regarded as having among the best hardware in all categories they compete in. This year is definitely a software centric year for Apple with the possibility of a completely new hardware category but otherwise more refined versions of their current products.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:38 PM   #16
ECUpirate44
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
"Financial Times writer"

There's your problem. Hardware makes significantly more money than software.

Investors want profit margins, not pretty UIs.
This, the money is in the hardware. Consider the source!
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Dmunjal
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
This, the money is in the hardware. Consider the source!
Wrong. Software companies have much higher margins than hardware companies because hardware tends to get commoditized. If you see a hardware company making high margins, it's because they're really a software company in disguise. Apple is a good example of this. OSX and iOS sell commoditized hardware for more than other companies who sell Windows and Android can.
Dmunjal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 10:12 PM   #18
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmunjal View Post
Wrong. Software companies have much higher margins than hardware companies because hardware tends to get commoditized. If you see a hardware company making high margins, it's because they're really a software company in disguise. Apple is a good example of this. OSX and iOS sell commoditized hardware for more than other companies who sell Windows and Android can.
Investors not caring about software was the point.
Apple sells hardware with their software on it.
You buy an iPhone/iPad/iPod, not a device with iOS on it, and Apple doesn't license their OS.
Google is the opposite, you don't buy a Google phone, you buy a phone with Google's OS, although that'll change with the acquisition of Motorola.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC