Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
Hey, Everyone. I have on old ('07) Plastic Snow Leopard Macbook and I am thinking of attaching a large external HDD & using it as a media server for my ATV3.

Anyone know of any problems that may arise?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That should be fine, SL supports the current iTunes. The only thing that might cause issues is downloading HD content from the iTunes store, it might not want to do so because the laptop isn't capable of playing HD content. If you download the content onto a different computer & copy it over, it'll store the files & serve them up to the ATV just fine though.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
That should be fine, SL supports the current iTunes. The only thing that might cause issues is downloading HD content from the iTunes store, it might not want to do so because the laptop isn't capable of playing HD content. If you download the content onto a different computer & copy it over, it'll store the files & serve them up to the ATV just fine though.

I have Snow Leopard and I can download and play 1080P HD on my Macbook just fine.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That Macbook will make an excellent server. Even serving 1080p content to multiple sources will work nicely.

I have Snow Leopard and I can download and play 1080P HD on my Macbook just fine.

But do you have a 5 year old laptop?

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
That Macbook will make an excellent server. Even serving 1080p content to multiple sources will work nicely.

But do you have a 5 year old laptop?

Nope, buy my wife's is and also plays 1080P from iTunes just fine. I have the aluminum Macbook.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
Thanks, All.

To clarify.. I plan to hook a 3tb external WD Drive to my newly purchased Airport Extreme, which will be connected via ethernet to the old Macbook, and to a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem.. With iTunes on the old Macbook using my usual Apple ID, for the Apple TV.

Then, mine and my Wife's <newer> Macbook Pros also using that external drive as a shared drive, on the network.

Make sense?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
To clarify.. I plan to hook a 3tb external WD Drive to my newly purchased Airport Extreme, which will be connected via ethernet to the old Macbook, and to a Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem.. With iTunes on the old Macbook using my usual Apple ID, for the Apple TV.

Then, mine and my Wife's <newer> Macbook Pros also using that external drive as a shared drive, on the network.

Make sense?

Yes, and it should work. I'd have the Apple TV hit the Airport Extreme's WiFi network directly, but have the Motorola cable modem be the DHCP master.

Last edited:

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Thanks, All.

Make sense?

I assume if you are connecting the macbook via ethernet that it will be a fixed server. In that case you'd improve performance by connecting drives directly to the laptop. And if it has FW800, you'd gain a significant performane boost using firewire drives. You also might consider hooking another drive to it as a Time Machine host for all the computers in the house.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Even if I can't download HD content with the old machine, I should still be able to DL it with my newer machine, and save it to the same library.

Right?

Correct. According to the Apple specs 2.4GHz is required for HD but clearly some machines lower than that will still allow content to download, but if it doesn't, just download it with another machine and copy it into the library on that Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.