Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlee08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
I purchased a iPhone 5 today locally only because the deal was just too good to pass on. However, the phone was issued from a local CDMA carrier. I have a signed contract with AT&T and I've been reading for hours on the A1429 device and it's capabilities with both CDMA & GSM. However I haven't seen where anyone has actually used the A1429 model on the AT&T network yet, even though I've read that it's possible, but you won't get LTE speeds, only HSPA+.

Question is, has anyone tried this or will I just need to resale this phone and not worry about getting my AT&t micro-sim trimmed to a nano?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
It will work fine for H+ speeds and 3G/EDGE. However it doesn't have the LTE bands for AT&T, only domestic CDMA providers and euro LTE I believe. If you can live with that, you will be fine. If not, resell it and get the AT&T version of the phone.

As for the SIM card, you can either cut yours or ask AT&T to provide you with nano. That can usually be done at no charge in store.

charlee08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Thanks for the quick response.

I actually don't have AT&T LTE in my area, however we do have HSPA+ which is completely fine for me.

Another question, can the this model be carrier locked or is the model unlocked already?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
The Verizon branded iPhone 5 is already sim unlocked from the factory. Sprint ones and most regional cdma providers aren't. If its currently a Verizon model, just pop in your AT&T SIM card and go. You will likely need to get it unlocked first since you say it's from a local provider.

charlee08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Well I'm not sure they'll even unlock them.

Anyway I could possibly unlock the device?

Thanks for the quick responses again!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Not sure. Start searching the forums, as there are tons of threads with links to unlocking sites. What carrier was it locked to? Some US CDMA phones only allow unlocking for foreign SIM cards. The Verizon one is the only one I'm sure of that comes unlocked already and accepts domestic SIM cards with no issues.

charlee08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Appalachian Wireless

I took my buddies Verizon sim card and stuck it in the phone earlier and it popped up and showed extended LTE for a moment then it showed no signal.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Hmmmm. If its showing extended it probably means that the phone thinks its roaming but really not. May need to verify that it's fully unlocked by getting a code somewhere online or asking Appalachian to unlock for you. You can try calling Appalachian to ask for the current lock status of the device.

charlee08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
Well I don't think that App Wireless will unlock the device.

I'll check and see tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.