Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Take out the money and build quality factors, and tell me which one would you buy and why.

Ready. Set. Go! I want to hear your opinions :)

(Remember price and build stays out of this :) )

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
By taking price and build out of the discussion this becomes a meaningless exercise

Because those two things are mentioned by everyone all the time and those are the things i usually consider last when doing shipping for a smartphone that i plan to keep for a while.

Meaningless or not, what is your answer? :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
By taking price and build out of the discussion this becomes a meaningless exercise

Agreed. This comparison is no contest unless you account for price. The S4 has a better display, LTE, much better battery, more storage, superior camera and is faster. The crucial question--is all of that worth an extra $300 (or whatever the price difference is your country)? And the answer to that question is going to vary widely between individuals.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Take out the money and build quality factors, and tell me which one would you buy and why.

I'd stick with my Nexus. I don't care for physical buttons, and I do like having wireless charging. That's my answer leaving out money. When including everything into the equation, it doesn't make sense to pay nearly twice as much for a phone that really offers nothing more than the Nexus, but does not have wireless charging.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Getting price and build quality/materials out?

The GS4 GE hands down no contest.......

The absolute ONLY reason to consider the N4 at that point IS price (if you want to save the money or not).

Hardware wise, the GS4 is better in every respect and the thing that kills Sammy devices (IMO) - SuckWiz - is absent.

Essentially you have to look at it this way:

Software:
-Tie

Camera
-GS4 GE

Display:
-GS4 GE

Battery Life:
-GS4 GE

Storage:
-GS4 GE (because both go to 16 GB internally, but the GS4 GE has the micro SD slot).

CPU/GPU
-GS4 GE

Essentially, the decision here is whether or not a better camera, display, battery life, storage space and CPU/GPU are worth an extra $300.

For me, the answer is yes. Especially since I've always wanted to try a Samsung device, but TouchWiz and the greatness of the HTC One kept me from doing so.

----------

I'd stick with my Nexus. I don't care for physical buttons, and I do like having wireless charging. That's my answer leaving out money. When including everything into the equation, it doesn't make sense to pay nearly twice as much for a phone that really offers nothing more than the Nexus, but does not have wireless charging.

I guess I hadn't though about wireless charging and the physical home button.....

1 feature the N4 has, that the GS4 GE doesn't and another which is solely preference (I actually prefer the button layout of the GS4 and HTC One....doesn't take up screen real estate).

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Agreed. This comparison is no contest unless you account for price. The S4 has a better display, LTE, much better battery, more storage, superior camera and is faster. The crucial question--is all of that worth an extra $300 (or whatever the price difference is your country)? And the answer to that question is going to vary widely between individuals.

So you would buy it if you had $700? Do you think the 1080p AMOLED panel is better than 720p LCD?

Great, someone who put some thought. You make interesting points about the buttons and charging.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Because those two things are mentioned by everyone all the time and those are the things i usually consider last when doing shipping for a smartphone that i plan to keep for a while.

Meaningless or not, what is your answer? :)

If price isn't a significant concern, I really don't see the need for comparison, should be fairly self evident. Without taking into account price, what benefit advantage, if any, does a Nexus 4 have over a Google edition S4? Unless you really don't like plastic, I can see a single one.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

I got beat to it....

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have a S4 and a Nexus 4, I prefer the screen size and vibrant colours on the S4, I also like the extra storage facilities, I have a host of battery charging devices and opportunities so the changeable battery wouldn't be a reason for me, but to others, certainly.

I am planning/thinking about selling my S4 and N4 if they release the Google variant in the UK because I like vanilla Android and like the updates coming in a timely fashion direct from Google.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Getting price and build quality/materials out?

The GS4 GE hands down no contest.......

The absolute ONLY reason to consider the N4 at that point IS price (if you want to save the money or not).

Hardware wise, the GS4 is better in every respect and the thing that kills Sammy devices (IMO) - SuckWiz - is absent.

Essentially you have to look at it this way:

Software:
-Tie

Camera
-GS4 GE

Display:
-GS4 GE

Battery Life:
-GS4 GE

Storage:
-GS4 GE (because both go to 16 GB internally, but the GS4 GE has the micro SD slot).

CPU/GPU
-GS4 GE

Essentially, the decision here is whether or not a better camera, display, battery life, storage space and CPU/GPU are worth an extra $300.

For me, the answer is yes. Especially since I've always wanted to try a Samsung device, but TouchWiz and the greatness of the HTC One kept me from doing so.

----------

I guess I hadn't though about wireless charging and the physical home button.....

1 feature the N4 has, that the GS4 GE doesn't and another which is solely preference (I actually prefer the button layout of the GS4 and HTC One....doesn't take up screen real estate).

I am just afraid of losing that beautiful LCD screen. Wonder how well stock android will make the 1080p AMOLED look like. Hmmmm.

----------

If price isn't a significant concern, I really don't see the need for comparison, should be fairly self evident. Without taking into account price, what benefit advantage, if any, does a Nexus 4 have over a Google edition S4? Unless you really don't like plastic, I can see a single one.

Well, there is that IPS LCD in nexus 4...

Hmmm....and on screen buttons?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So you would buy it if you had $700? Do you think the 1080p AMOLED panel is better than 720p LCD?

Well, I got rid of my Nexus 4 and bought a Developer Edition HTC One for $650 and the S4 is arguably even better. So, me personally, yes without hesitation--and I dislike the extensive use of plastic and feel of the device. Performance is just do much better and once you've used LTE, tough to go back.

I'm generally not a fan of AMOLED displays but the S4's is the best I've seen of this type (I'm sure the 1080p helps) and while the Nexus 4's was very good, I find both the iPhone 5 and HTC One's to be better. Basically what I'm saying is if there's a difference between the Nexus and S4, it's subtle if anything. Just my opinion though--I'm sure many here prefer the AMOLED for the vibrant colors/deep blacks.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I am just afraid of losing that beautiful LCD screen. Wonder how well stock android will make the 1080p AMOLED look like. Hmmmm.

----------

Well, there is that IPS LCD in nexus 4...

Hmmm....and on screen buttons?

I'm a big fan of IPS LCD over AMOLED.....but

Coming from a guy who doesn't root his phones (so i wouldn't re-calibrate my N4 display), I've never been terribly impressed with the N4's display. Its nice and all, but no where near the quality of the iP5 and HTC One IMO.

I've been told if you re-calibrate it, you can make it a ton better, but I don't care to figure all that out. I'd rather have the display look great right out of the box.....

I also read some pretty in depth reviews on the GS4's display and while its still AMOLED and suffers from the same "cartoonish" colors, its much closer to the LCDs temperature wise with white and overall, the new diamond matrix gives a much sharper image than previous pentile displays.

Would I take the GS4 display over the iP5 or HTC One? Heck no.....but the N4, I'm willing to because of all the other added benefits.

I also plan on keeping this GS4 GE for a long time as my stock Android......latest and greatest hardware will only increase the longevity.

----------

Well, I got rid of my Nexus 4 and bought a Developer Edition HTC One for $650 and the S4 is arguably even better. So, me personally, yes without hesitation--and I dislike the extensive use of plastic and feel of the device. Performance is just do much better and once you've used LTE, tough to go back.

Amen - another reason I would use the GS4 GE over the N4.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have the S4 (i9505) running an unofficial build of CM on it and my Nexus 4 is running official CM. I prefer the S4 in every way except the dev support.

- It feels better in the hands (ergonomics not quality)
- Screen looks better
- More storage space
- Bigger battery + I bought 2 extra batteries with a charger for them (even though I haven't found myself needing them yet)
- Haptic feedback feels nicer IMO
- I prefer the LED on the S4

I would definitely go with the S4 Google edition.

----------

I am planning/thinking about selling my S4 and N4 if they release the Google variant in the UK because I like vanilla Android and like the updates coming in a timely fashion direct from Google.

Might do the same if I can get a reasonably priced one! The Nexus 4 wasn't sold in Ireland so I had to get one from eBay. I'm guessing the S4 won't be available in Ireland either :(

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i might be the only person in the world who likes the n4's screen over the galaxy s4's. colors have never looked right on any amoled screen i've seen, and it's something i just can't get past. i picked up an s4 last week just to try out, and it had to go back a couple days later. touchwiz didn't help its case either. so i'd pick the n4, but i wouldn't pay $650 for it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Isn't wireless charging also going to be available for the S4, just requires replacing the standard back plate on the device?

And the S4 offers nothing more than the Nexus 4? You really believe that? Put the specs of the two side-by-side and I don't see where the Nexus 4 keeps up with the S4.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
I have the S4 (i9505) running an unofficial build of CM on it and my Nexus 4 is running official CM. I prefer the S4 in every way except the dev support.

- It feels better in the hands (ergonomics not quality)
- Screen looks better
- More storage space
- Bigger battery + I bought 2 extra batteries with a charger for them (even though I haven't found myself needing them yet)
- Haptic feedback feels nicer IMO
- I prefer the LED on the S4

I would definitely go with the S4 Google edition.

----------

Might do the same if I can get a reasonably priced one! The Nexus 4 wasn't sold in Ireland so I had to get one from eBay. I'm guessing the S4 won't be available in Ireland either :(

Off topic.. But was there a particular guide you followed to do this. Tempted to go for it on my GS4 but I've never rooted or flashed ROMS before. I've lurked on XDA for years but always been too paranoid I'll end up with a brick.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Isn't wireless charging also going to be available for the S4, just requires replacing the standard back plate on the device?
Sure, an official solution MAY come...but there's no telling when that would occur. In the meantime, the N4 has it today (and I use it every day), and that is something I am not willing to give up.

And the S4 offers nothing more than the Nexus 4? You really believe that?
The only thing that stands out is expandable storage, which for me adds no value as I am heavily invested in the cloud, and currently have not even used a quarter of my available storage on my N4.

Put the specs of the two side-by-side and I don't see where the Nexus 4 keeps up with the S4.
No offense, but that is a message board answer. I'm not sure if you've used an N4, but simply put, the thing flies. You talking about specs means absolutely nothing, unless you're someone who likes looking at benchmark scores. In real world performance, the difference in specs would translate into it possibly doing things a split second faster. In other words, the specs does not mean there is a discernable difference between the two.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sure, an official solution MAY come...but there's no telling when that would occur. In the meantime, the N4 has it today (and I use it every day), and that is something I am not willing to give up.

The only thing that stands out is expandable storage, which for me adds no value as I am heavily invested in the cloud, and currently have not even used a quarter of my available storage on my N4.

No offense, but that is a message board answer. I'm not sure if you've used an N4, but simply put, the thing flies. You talking about specs means absolutely nothing, unless you're someone who likes looking at benchmark scores. In real world performance, the difference in specs would translate into it possibly doing things a split second faster. In other words, the specs does not mean there is a discernable difference between the two.

As for the last, I've experienced hiccups and stutters on my N4. I'm not saying its a laggy device, but in my experience the experience hasn't been as "smooth" as my iP5 or evern my HTC One.

That being said, the added CPU/GPU power also adds the benefit of being relevant longer. As I plan on keeping a stock Android phone, the GS4 GE seems like the perfect solution I can keep for quite a long time.

I really do like the N4 - it was my first Android and a great smartphone. Taking price into account, its a tough decision - but between the two (price out of the equation as the OP said), its really not even close.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

Agree on the physical buttons. If I got the Google Edition GS4, I'd probably go ahead and root + disable the capacitive buttons and remap the home button to just wake and sleep. I've seen some of this on xda, but until I have the phone physically in my hands I'm not going to dwell too much on it.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
As for the last, I've experienced hiccups and stutters on my N4. I'm not saying its a laggy device, but in my experience the experience hasn't been as "smooth" as my iP5 or evern my HTC One.
I have not had the same experience. As someone who has had all 3 (and still currently has the HTC One and N4), I'd say the N4 is as smoother or smoother, than those devices. I have spent a significant amount of time with the One and the N4 side by side and I will say the N4 is a faster device than the One. That was one of the reasons (it wasn't a major one, but one of the reasons nonetheless) I decided to use the N4 as my daily driver over the HTC One.

That being said, the added CPU/GPU power also adds the benefit of being relevant longer.
I definitely disagree here. While the additional power is a good thing, it isn't significant to the point it will keep one device relevant longer than the other that has a cpu from the same generation. When that generation becomes obsolete, it will be too (because it's a part of it).

I really do like the N4 - it was my first Android and a great smartphone. Taking price into account, its a tough decision - but between the two (price out of the equation as the OP said), its really not even close.
Of course that is your OPINION. I beg to differ. I can have a stock Android GS4 at no cost, and I choose the N4 over it, and "it's really not even close" for me either.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have not had the same experience. As someone who has had all 3 (and still currently has the HTC One and N4), I'd say the N4 is as smoother or smoother, than those devices. I have spent a significant amount of time with the One and the N4 side by side and I will say the N4 is a faster device than the One. That was one of the reasons (it wasn't a major one, but one of the reasons nonetheless) I decided to use the N4 as my daily driver over the HTC One.

Agree to disagree. Prime example why anecdotal evidence should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt. We both have varying experiences despite using the same two phones extensively. Though I will say the laggs and stutters weren't always there. It wasn't until I added some gestures and features through Nova Launcher and Tasker that I started noticing hangups here and there.

For me, an example of why faster hardware (running the same software) is better and worth the upgrade.

I definitely disagree here. While the additional power is a good thing, it isn't significant to the point it will keep one device relevant longer than the other that has a cpu from the same generation. When that generation becomes obsolete, it will be too (because it's a part of it).

Both the iPhone 4 and 4S continue to be supported, however the 4S holds up better under new features and software than the 4 does.....and the difference between the two in CPU power isn't as large as the difference between the GS4 and N4.

Running the exact same software, the GS4 will most certainly run smoother and faster. I agree though, whether or not its noticable enough to warrant the additional money or not is entirely up to the purchaser.

As I stated earlier, the additional features and gestures I added to my N4 introduced some lag and stuttering. A faster CPU would diminish these.

Of course that is your OPINION. I beg to differ. I can have a stock Android GS4 at no cost, and I choose the N4 over it, and "it's really not even close" for me either.

Agreed, that is my opinion and I respect yours.

I will also mention, LTE is a big determining factor for me. Of course, for some its completely useless as LTE isn't rolled out in many areas. Something another poster mentioned and I failed to, but I completely agree.

The main reasons I'll be going for a GS4 GE over the N4 are:

-I've always wanted to pick up a Samsung device - the primary reason I never did (TouchWiz) is now absent.
-LTE
-Faster internals
-Better Camera
-Better battery life
-Display quality
-Despite my love for my HTC One, I'll definitely use the GS4 GE on a regular basis, swapping out my SIM card. Even though I like the N4, I just don't use it as it offers nothing over my HTC One at this point (IMO).

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

S4 google edition...

I really like the S4 hardware wise and even the feel and build. I'd buy the google edition in a heartbeat if it was available here, but it wont be.

----------

a phone that really offers nothing more than the Nexus, but does not have wireless charging.

You can buy the wireless charging back for the S4 however.

Shadow Puppy

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
For me, an example of why faster hardware (running the same software) is better and worth the upgrade.
But yet, an example for me of my somewhat faster hardware does not necessarily add anything to the experience. I think the faster hardware is good for phones like the One, that have bloatware and OEM skins running on top of it. When it comes to stock Android, I don't think the difference in performance is even noticeable at all.

Both the iPhone 4 and 4S continue to be supported, however the 4S holds up better under new features and software than the 4 does.....and the difference between the two in CPU power isn't as large as the difference between the GS4 and N4.
An iPhone comparison? I fail to see how that is in any way relevant to this conversation. iOS updates differ from Android updates, and thus comparing the two probably isn't the best way to go.

As I stated earlier, the additional features and gestures I added to my N4 introduced some lag and stuttering. A faster CPU would diminish these.
Not necessarily. If "lag" and "stutter" occurs because of an app being coded poorly, a slightly faster cpu would not necessarily make a difference at all. There is no replacement for good coding.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Overall, Samsung's Galaxy S4 is a better device than Google/LG's Nexus 4. It has better/fast hardware (CPU, GPU), LTE (for certain markets, not all), bigger (but not better, IPS is still the best) display with more pixels and higher density, better cameras and bigger battery. That alone justifies the significantly higher price.

Nexus 4 still has several advantages:
- better display panel (IPS>AMOLED)
- no buttons to wear out (like Home button on iPhone and certain Android devices)
- significantly cheaper
- lack of LTE may not impact you if your market hasn't deployed it yet or will in next year or two, or simply don't care/want
- better build quality (cheap plastic vs glass)

S4 is a high-end smartphone. Nexus 4 is now relegated to mid-end smartphone. There are sizable markets for both. Personally, I'd pick the Nexus 4. For a developer, it generally doesn't matter that much. It's not like the Android user base will suddenly be populated with high-end devices enough to warrant the S4 over Nexus 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.