Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old May 24, 2013, 12:28 AM   #1
preyan
macrumors regular

Lightbulb iPod Touch - 128GB?

I've been waiting for this since forever honestly. Do you think it will be out this year? Apples latest revenue figures show that the iPod range contributes now only 2% of it revenue so there is no incentive to push it with fancy features etc.

One thing I can say, I have yet to hear a device come close to the sound quality of the iPod touch!
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:48 AM   #2
7thson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by preyan View Post
I've been waiting for this since forever honestly. Do you think it will be out this year? Apples latest revenue figures show that the iPod range contributes now only 2% of it revenue so there is no incentive to push it with fancy features etc.

One thing I can say, I have yet to hear a device come close to the sound quality of the iPod touch!
Well, Jony Ive has stated that it's not all about making money. If they are convinced that it would make the product better, then it could happen. Whether or not it's a priority, probably not. It's good to dream though. However, if it entered at the current price points commensurate to the 32 and 64 gb, it would cost $500 and that would be too expensive for most people.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
However, if it entered at the current price points commensurate to the 32 and 64 gb, it would cost $500 and that would be too expensive for most people.
I guess it depends whether you need that amount of space or not. I paid NZ$750 (about US$600) for the 32 GB first-gen Touch so $500 is not completely unheard of.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:09 AM   #4
7thson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
I guess it depends whether you need that amount of space or not. I paid NZ$750 (about US$600) for the 32 GB first-gen Touch so $500 is not completely unheard of.
Wow. I thought Apple products were expensive here in America. That is a hefty difference you paid. I think there are many people who would stand in line on launch day to buy a 128 gb touch, but most would settle for a 32. I know it's best to always get the most storage that you can afford, but I wonder how well the 128 would sell at $500. Would Apple make enough money from it? I don't know.
7thson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Nermal

Quote:
That is a hefty difference you paid.
It's not actually as bad as it looks. Looking at the exchange rate at the time (as opposed to the current one I used above), it was about US$530... and it was $499 in the US.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:

It will never happen. For Apple, it's WiFi and the cloud. Apple doesn't see the need or demand for a 128G device.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
.Asa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
It will never happen. For Apple, it's WiFi and the cloud. Apple doesn't see the need or demand for a 128G device.
There's a 128 GB iPad, so I don't see why not an iPod touch. And if they discontinue the classic, a lot of people will need an alternative large capacity iPod.
Also the 3rd and 4th gen touches came in three capacity options, but the 5th gen only has two, which hints that they might add a third.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
There's a 128 GB iPad, so I don't see why not an iPod touch. And if they discontinue the classic, a lot of people will need an alternative large capacity iPod.
Also the 3rd and 4th gen touches came in three capacity options, but the 5th gen only has two, which hints that they might add a third.
Apple will update the 16G Touch to the newest A5 design this fall so you will have 3 options (16/32/64).
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Apple will update the 16G Touch to the newest A5 design this fall so you will have 3 options (16/32/64).
And how did you come across such information?
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
And how did you come across such information?
Look at the past updates all the way back to the 3rd Gen. This year, the 32/64 will only get minor updates while the 16Gb will be updated to the latest A5 design.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

well, 64 GB space is enough for me, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me if apple ever makes a 128 GB ipod touch.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 12:12 PM   #12
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a

With a 128gb I don't think you'd be able to backup to icloud since the max plan option is 100 Gb.
MrMacMack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 10:59 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68000

The 16gb is done, no more. They stopped it long ago.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2013, 11:22 PM   #14
Lior730424
macrumors newbie

Why?

Why do you need 128 GB? Just 3-6 for games, 1 GB for apps, max 0.5 for photos, contacts, notes.
Lior730424 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 01:22 AM   #15
preyan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior730424 View Post
Why do you need 128 GB? Just 3-6 for games, 1 GB for apps, max 0.5 for photos, contacts, notes.
Unlike you, I have a much more active social life
Kidding. I really have about 110GB of music and I'd like one storage medium knowing that I have it all there.

I also have suddent urges to listen to songs from ages ago. It's a random thought randomly but it happens often. I don't like having half my music collection here and the balance lying in limbo

We all have different needs and wants. So yeah, my wish is for a 128GB

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Asa View Post
Good point about the new 128Gb iPad
You give me hope!
preyan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
The13thDoctor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMack View Post
With a 128gb I don't think you'd be able to backup to icloud since the max plan option is 100 Gb.
It doesnt backup the entire iPod to the cloud, just only the settings and data.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
blueroom
macrumors 603

If you have a massive music library and good WiFi, fast ISP with buckets of bandwidth you could make your own music cloud with a Synology NAS running Audio station on your iOS device.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 09:39 PM   #18
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

If you have a massive music collection, perhaps try moving some of it to the cloud? I use Google Music, and its great to have access to all my songs, without them necessarily taking up space on my device (offline songs are good for the ones I listen to often)

But I doubt they'd make an iTouch 128GB, as that'd be clocking in at $500! You can get an iPad for that much, or a 32GB Mini, or a iPhone 4S! The market for iPods isn't that high anymore, and the market for 128GB iOS devices is even lower.
Unless Apple drops the +$100 price curve for each storage increase, I doubt they'll be a 128GB option. Or maybe I'm wrong and Apple wants to push it out.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:15 PM   #19
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Well this is sad for me. My music collection is already 80GB+ so I had to split it between genres(2 iPod Touches both 64GBs) but the main one is already within 9-12 months of maxing out. Apple just doesn't want my money.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:44 PM   #20
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
Well this is sad for me. My music collection is already 80GB+ so I had to split it between genres(2 iPod Touches both 64GBs) but the main one is already within 9-12 months of maxing out. Apple just doesn't want my money.
Might I suggest that an iPod Classic + iPod touch might be a better combination for you? Put all your music on the Classic and put some subset on the touch.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:53 AM   #21
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Might I suggest that an iPod Classic + iPod touch might be a better combination for you? Put all your music on the Classic and put some subset on the touch.
That misses the main point - having the iOS interface.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:05 AM   #22
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

by that logic, they would also have to neglect the Mac......
osx11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:17 AM   #23
jondunford
Banned

Quote:
Wow. I thought Apple products were expensive here in America.
please never say that again i am still raging I'm hvingtrouble typing thsi message
jondunford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:30 PM   #24
smoledman
macrumors 65816

This is nonsense, madness! I'm down to less than 600MB free on my 64GB iPod Touch! Within 6 months I'll be needing more capacity or I'll be forced to divide up my music collection AGAIN!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 03:04 PM   #25
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

Why would the Touch go to 128G before the iPhone?
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Tags
128gb, ipod touch