Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've been using my iphone as a streaming music player for a while, but it's annoying to always plug in the cable to my Aux port on my car.

I'm looking for some kind of bluetooth device which plugs into my aux port and I can leave there permanently so when I get into my car it is automatically connected to my iphone with no cables and ready to play music.

Any suggestions ??

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I've been using my iphone as a streaming music player for a while, but it's annoying to always plug in the cable to my Aux port on my car.

I'm looking for some kind of bluetooth device which plugs into my aux port and I can leave there permanently so when I get into my car it is automatically connected to my iphone with no cables and ready to play music.

Any suggestions ??

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Blueto...&keywords=belkin+bluetooth+car+hands-free+kit

It is amazing! It has a built in mic so you can take calls on it and the power plug has a USB port so you can also charge your phone, very worth it

Reactions: saintforlife

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Blueto...&keywords=belkin+bluetooth+car+hands-free+kit

It is amazing! It has a built in mic so you can take calls on it and the power plug has a USB port so you can also charge your phone, very worth it

Yeah I was very much looking at that one, it was between that Belkin and the GrooveOne Bluegate.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
1) How "automatic" is connecting every time you get in and out of the car? Does it stay paired, do you have to turn on the Belkin or does it turn on with the car/power port? Does it connect automatically? This is my issue with the GrooveOne, you have to press a button for 5 seconds every time you get in the car to power it up, and that's kind of unacceptable.

2) When you get a call and put the call into your car speakers, can you use your phones mic instead of the Belkins mic? I'd like to hide the Belkin where the mic will be far away and inside a console so it will be useless, but my phone is up on my vent close to my face so would rather use the phones mic, but the cars speaker.

Thanks much for the reply!!! :):)

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Isn't it a lot easier to just get a car stereo with bluetooth built in?

I've got a Kenwood from a few years back and it works like a charm, you can probably get the same one for around €150

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009

I've got a Kenwood from a few years back and it works like a charm, you can probably get the same one for around €150

Probably, but I wanted to keep my stock setup.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Yeah I was very much looking at that one, it was between that Belkin and the GrooveOne Bluegate.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
1) How "automatic" is connecting every time you get in and out of the car? Does it stay paired, do you have to turn on the Belkin or does it turn on with the car/power port? Does it connect automatically? This is my issue with the GrooveOne, you have to press a button for 5 seconds every time you get in the car to power it up, and that's kind of unacceptable.

2) When you get a call and put the call into your car speakers, can you use your phones mic instead of the Belkins mic? I'd like to hide the Belkin where the mic will be far away and inside a console so it will be useless, but my phone is up on my vent close to my face so would rather use the phones mic, but the cars speaker.

Thanks much for the reply!!! :):)

The belkin is powered by your car so it will turn on and off along with your car. To pair it, you just press the button once, you don't have to hold it down.

You can't use the car speakers to take a call and use the iPhones mic. I don't think that is possible with any Bluetooth receiver of this type.

jayjysmth

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I am curious as to which is the best as well. I tried the HTC bluetooth adapter but what they don't tell you is that it streams audio but phone calls are routed through the phones speaker, not your car speakers. So is the consensus that the Belkin is the one to go with? I have been looking for weeks and keep getting mixed reviews.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I am curious as to which is the best as well. I tried the HTC bluetooth adapter but what they don't tell you is that it streams audio but phone calls are routed through the phones speaker, not your car speakers. So is the consensus that the Belkin is the one to go with? I have been looking for weeks and keep getting mixed reviews.

The belkin will route everything through the car speakers. Music, calls, GPS, everything.

Hands down, it is the best option.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Thinking of getting this for my wife. I will pair it with her phone but can it handle being paired to more than one? It would be nice to be able to have mine paired also when I take her car instead of mine.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
The belkin is powered by your car so it will turn on and off along with your car. To pair it, you just press the button once, you don't have to hold it down.

You can't use the car speakers to take a call and use the iPhones mic. I don't think that is possible with any Bluetooth receiver of this type.

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered the Belkin.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I've used the belkin one, and while it's good, it does NOT auto connect.

When you turn your car on, it will turn on, but you have to press it once in order for it to pair. Mildly annoying.

This one auto connects when you turn your car on. It's MUCH better.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60

This is the same exact thing by a different company but auto connects. Get this one instead of the belkin. This one his a USB, aux, and a built in mic.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Just got the Belkin unit, it's pretty awesome so far, sound output is phenomenal, and it connects reliably. I wish I saw the one that auto connects a couple of posts above, I'm tempted to return it and get that one.

whitlecj

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Anybody know how the second one that auto connects would work in a boat? Would love to have bluetooth for music streaming. Can the puck be mounted under the console? Really wouldn't need it for controls or phone calls.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Anybody know how the second one that auto connects would work in a boat? Would love to have bluetooth for music streaming. Can the puck be mounted under the console? Really wouldn't need it for controls or phone calls.

Im sure it will do the same thing than being in a car:)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

jayjysmth

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I ordered the 2nd one mentioned from amazon today. I will try and postg review/opinion once I receive it Friday.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
I have the Motorola Roadster 2. Love it! Auto pairs as soon as the phone gets close. Takes calls by just saying answer and streams to my car audio with a push of the FM button. Got it for $45

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Well just returned the Belkin and ordered the Kinivo. The Belkin for just streaming audio was superb, but it failed badly in other areas. For some reason music audio which was streamed sounded great, but streaming a phone call was horrible, static, dropouts, and it sounded like they were in a bubble. Also the microphone wasn't too good, and I had it just a bit lower than mouth level about a foot in front of me. The last straw was the annoyance at always having to hit the button to re connect, the Kinivo will be nice with its auto connect.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Well just returned the Belkin and ordered the Kinivo. The Belkin for just streaming audio was superb, but it failed badly in other areas. For some reason music audio which was streamed sounded great, but streaming a phone call was horrible, static, dropouts, and it sounded like they were in a bubble. Also the microphone wasn't too good, and I had it just a bit lower than mouth level about a foot in front of me. The last straw was the annoyance at always having to hit the button to re connect, the Kinivo will be nice with its auto connect.

That stinks! I don't have any of those problems, I don't mind th lack of auto connect.

jayjysmth

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Just got the kinivo in. I must say it works flawlessly except that it is not auto connecting? Could anyone have any ideas as to why?

SBC44

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Thomasville, GA
I've got both the belkin and the kinivo units and the kinivo is definitely the better of the two because of the auto connect feature.

I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet, but these work best on outlets that are only powered when your vehicle is running, otherwise it could drain your battery. And in my case, my office is located close enough to my vehicle where it would stay connected if I forgot to unplug it. What I ended up doing was wiring an outlet that was switched with accessory power in the fuse block, and now it works perfectly.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Depends on what you mean by easier. It takes less skill and experience just to plug a bluetooth receiver in an aux jack. However, it's less clutter to get a head unit with bluetooth. Depending on the vehicle and desired solution (i.e. retain dash/steering wheel controls, etc), the head unit replacement can be tricky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.