Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevefox42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
I've searched around but haven't heard of something like what I'm seeing on my iPhone 5 before. I've seen reports of pink hue on the entire screen.

There is a pink rectangular box on my iPhone screen with a white border. Its most visible when the screen is showing white. The screenshot I've taken is using one of those screen flashlight apps to show full screen white.

At first I thought it was my eyes or my new glasses but other people see it too.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

EDIT:
Ok, I just noticed the green also shows a similar defect. The blue and black screens looks totally uniform.

Last edited:

beckylynn

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
pink hue.

Hey ! I work for a Telus dealership and I seen this once before. it is a defect in the LCD. If your phone is still under warranty i'd just go in and get a replacement !

stevefox42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
I got on apple chat. They say I can get a new phone cross shipped for $29 or I can take it to an Apple retail store. I just gotta back up and wipe it so I can take it to the Apple store. When I find some time.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Dammit. Just noticed today that my iPhone 5 is displaying this red tint, too, and is a couple months out of warranty. Should've got AppleCare when I had the chance. Hmm. =/

Thanks for posting this + the photos, stevefox42.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Dammit. Just noticed today that my iPhone 5 is displaying this red tint, too, and is a couple months out of warranty. Should've got AppleCare when I had the chance. Hmm. =/

The iPhone 5 came out Sept. 12th, you still have a few weeks left.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa

2 launch-day iPhone 5 units here. Both showing the same thing.

But honestly I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't inspected closely after reading this thread.

We're keeping them. They're perfect in all other ways, and I don't want to exchange for one that might have a bad camera or other issues. We're riding on AC+ anyway, so if it becomes really bad, we'll exchange next year.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
are others having this problem after the iOS 7 update?
i brought my iPhone in to the Apple Store and the genius said it must be a "feature" of iOS 7 since the few other phones at the store that had been updated showed the same problem. i witnessed one other employe's iPhone had the problem, but the only other iPhone's with iOS 7 were in the back.
it didn't show up on the display iPhone's but they had iOS 6 still.

i said that was ridiculous since a) it doesn't make sense and b) it didn't come up in any of the many reviews that are now out on iOS 7.

Thongjy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Hey i seems to only notice this after upgrade to ios7. Anyone have any idea what is happening. I got the same issue

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
sorry to hear it. really not sure what is the cause, but i didn't notice it before iOS 7 either.
i did end up getting mine replaced through Apple support online. i sent a picture of my iPhone showing the screen issue and explained everything. my replacement is in the mail and then i send my old one back. if you are still within your warranty, i'd recommend getting in touch with Apple support and getting it replaced. as Apple gets more of these returned, they may figure out why it is happening.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It's one of those things where once you see it, it's almost impossible to un-see it. I'll bet it affects quite a lot of iPhone 5 units, but it's subtle at first so maybe people don't notice. Almost seems like it's where the touch part of the screen is.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
the screen on my replacement 5 is clear.

too bad there are more nicks in the bezel on this new unit than my year-old one i just sent back. :/
but, better to have a clear screen, imo.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
the screen on my replacement 5 is clear.

too bad there are more nicks in the bezel on this new unit than my year-old one i just sent back. :/
but, better to have a clear screen, imo.

Glad you got a new phone. My iPhone had the same issue but they replaced the display on my iPhone instead of replacing it with a refurb.

nilzi

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2013
Hey ! I work for a Telus dealership and I seen this once before. it is a defect in the LCD. If your phone is still under warranty i'd just go in and get a replacement !

Yeah, you are correct. One of My friend's iPhone 5 had ever encountered this problem, and I helpd him replace a new LCD, then the pink hue disapperared.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Me too!

Just noticed this on my iPhone 5 which is ten and a half months old. I think it has just developed this fault as I am a designer and even though the issue is quite subtle I would surely have noticed it before now.

A faint pink stripe vertically down the whole centre of the screen, with a small white (greenish due to the pink) stripe at each edge.

Hopefully I can get a replacement before the warranty runs out!

I am still running iOS6 so it's not to do with iOS7, my wife's iPhone 5 is on iOS7 and has a uniform screen colour and brightness.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Just noticed this on my iPhone 5 which is ten and a half months old. I think it has just developed this fault as I am a designer and even though the issue is quite subtle I would surely have noticed it before now.

A faint pink stripe vertically down the whole centre of the screen, with a small white (greenish due to the pink) stripe at each edge.

Hopefully I can get a replacement before the warranty runs out!

I am still running iOS6 so it's not to do with iOS7, my wife's iPhone 5 is on iOS7 and has a uniform screen colour and brightness.
Thanks for this info, may help me at my Genius appointment tomorrow.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Got my iPhone replaced today. Seems it's definitely a screen defect. If you're in the UK, you don't need to be in warranty for this issue. Any arguments, you can claim your Consumer Protection rights and request a repair or replacement up to six years after purchasing. For the rest of the EU this can vary but is a minimum of 2 years. Quote the Sales of Goods Act 1979.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Genius

Quick update, had Genius Bar appointment today, replacement phone offered straight away.

Not sure if it was a refurb, but it looks brand new to me! Very happy with the outcome.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I've searched around but haven't heard of something like what I'm seeing on my iPhone 5 before. I've seen reports of pink hue on the entire screen.

There is a pink rectangular box on my iPhone screen with a white border. Its most visible when the screen is showing white. The screenshot I've taken is using one of those screen flashlight apps to show full screen white.

At first I thought it was my eyes or my new glasses but other people see it too.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

[url=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/stevefox42/IMG_2128.jpg]Image[/URL]

EDIT:
Ok, I just noticed the green also shows a similar defect. The blue and black screens looks totally uniform.
[url=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/stevefox42/IMG_2132.jpg]Image[/URL]

I would like to see if my iPhone 5 is doing the same thing. What app do I use or a screen shot to see if I have the defect. I would like a free replacement:)

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
Why is this happening to everyone else only now? Why have our screens been fine and suddenly everything has gone like this?

Oh my god I really want my money back now. I think every iPhone 5 carries this defect it just takes time for them to start showing it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.