Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katdebrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2013
We were robbed and two macbook pros (both running snow leopard) were taken, but they were both backed up with Time Machine. I did not have "Find my Mac" enabled (dumb...) One was a work computer, and contained most of my entire work life.

I've ordered a new macbook pro, and finally updated to Lion. I have three questions:

1) can I migrate the Time Machine backup data from a snow leopard system to a Lion system?

2) will my Time Machine backup include all my Thunderbird email files and preferences and my Firefox bookmarks and passwords?

I relied too heavily on Firefox's security device to remember and secure passwords. I've changed all the biggies, but there are tons of little sites that don't have loss risk associated with them. I realize I can just reset passwords as I encounter sites I don't know the password to, but I was hoping Time Machine salvaged that info.

3) does anyone have any suggestions about software to get for the new computer to make finding the computer easier, and protecting its data better if it is lost or stolen?

Thanks! I'm new, and still reeling from the robbery...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Run Migration Assistant on the new machine as soon as it starts (before making a new account) and it will import your old account along with all your apps and settings you listed.

On the new machine I would enable iCloud's Find my Mac for theft recovery and also turn on Filevault2 full disk encryption.

katdebrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Thanks!

Thank you!

Now, I can get back to just worrying about what the thieves did/are doing with my laptop, making sure we've accounted for everything that's missing, and how to make our house less vulnerable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.