Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Do we need a new finder?

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Do we need a new finder?

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:47 PM   #2
hob
macrumors 68020

I agree with that guy 100% - finder has bugs! Try clicking on file save on my PM G5 and it hangs for about 10-40 seconds whilst all the disks spin up...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Erendiox
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Erendiox
I dunno. I can see how there's plenty of nitpicking to be done about the finder, but I personally find it to be MUCH more enjoyable to use than windows. Thats enough for me.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 01:21 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Why, for example, can't you add items to the Sidebar?
Erm... I don't have problems adding items to the Sidebar at all. Is this guy clueless?
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 01:32 PM   #5
mkubal
macrumors 6502a

About the only thing I dislike is when I right click an icon to get a contextual menu and then go to "open with," I have to wait 10 seconds or so for it to spool all the disks and figure out what can open that file. Why can't this be cached in some way?
mkubal is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 01:38 PM   #6
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
Hmm.. The only prob I'm having with finder atm, is clicking on one of my mov files that I've rotoscoped lightsabers into. As soon as I click it once, it starts to load the preview thing at the right, then finder crashes.
iEdd is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 01:44 PM   #7
simX
macrumors 6502a

OK, to the writer of this "newsletter", say it with me, together now...

"IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THE FINDER IS WRITTEN IN CARBON OR COCOA!"

Seriously, tell us specifically what bugs you want fixed, NOT that you think the bugs are there simply because of the programming language the Finder is written in. News flash: the same bad decisions and bad programming will lead to a similarly buggy Finder, whether or not it was programmed in Carbon or Cocoa.

... and that little comment in the newsletter pretty much makes me ignore everything else that was said.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Umm heck yes.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 02:56 PM   #9
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Sure, Finder has some limitations and room for improvement, but show me an application that doesn't. Also, sometimes these types of "complaints" are subjective, as different people use the Finder for different things/in different ways. Or, some people simply don't know how to use it properly, or are unaware of all the functionality that exists which might make things easier for them. Finder can't be all things for all people all the time. And for my needs, it's definitely more than adequate.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 03:14 PM   #10
Spectrum
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
Erm... I don't have problems adding items to the Sidebar at all. Is this guy clueless?
I think the author means when you are in the middle of a save dialogue box. The drop down window looks like a standard finder window (albeit aqua, not brushed metal), but you cannot drag things around,etc.

My opinions :-)

I for one merely humour the OSX finder in comparison to the way I embraced late stage OS9. I find it less intuitive, and very buggy.

Why, for example, are viewing preferences constantly changing from how you last left them?

Why don't file/folder icons change colour like they used to when you alter their label? e.g. is that file RED? or did I select it? (if red is your highlight colour that is)

How come you have to do different things to edit file/folder titles in the different views? - column/list you need to click, then click again. icon view you just need to click and then wait (the old way).

Ever since it was born the OSX finder has seemed slower to navigate than OS9 (as used on a g3/450 powerbook). Finally with my 1.67Ghz PB and Tiger, it is approaching a similar level of snappiness.

Finally, I much preferred the way that a file/folder could only exist in one place EVER on OS9. Thus duplicate finder windows in OSX should be disabled (or at least disableable). They are confusing, and make me feel like I'm using Windows. For me, it was the flexibility and ease of use of the OS9 Finder that won me over. Now I have to remember the path/path/path/path/ etc to get somewhere.

I yearn to be able to navigate there visually like the way I did in OS9.

Finally, the brushed metal look has dated rapidly, and IMO is very wasteful of screen space.

rant over. :-)
Spectrum is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 04:02 PM   #11
SummerBreeze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erendiox
I dunno. I can see how there's plenty of nitpicking to be done about the finder, but I personally find it to be MUCH more enjoyable to use than windows. Thats enough for me.
I agree. It is far superior to the Windows explorer (which inexplicably quits almost every time I run Windows), and I don't really have too many gripes with it.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:03 PM   #12
ethernet76
macrumors 6502a

I want smart management of network disks.

My powerbook has a **** fit every time I close the lid and wake it when I'm connected to network disks.

This simple problems shouldn't be able to bring the finder to a halt for over a minute.
ethernet76 is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:17 PM   #13
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000

I'd definitely like finder to be more like windows explorer (braces for flamings).
PCMacUser is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:38 PM   #14
khammack
macrumors regular

Am I missing something here?

Close all finder windows, then open one (gets your home dir).

Click on the little bubble in the upper right corner. The brushed metal disappears.

Go to Finder -> Preferences -> General, check "Always open folders in a new window"

Is this not how pre-OSX finder worked? I could be wrong, I haven't used that thing in years and was never an advanced MacOS finder user. But this seems to match the behavior that everyone is describing.

-kev
khammack is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:42 PM   #15
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser
I'd definitely like finder to be more like windows explorer (braces for flamings).
Not flaming at all, but can you explain what specific features of Windows Explorer you would like to see in Finder?
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:43 PM   #16
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by simX
OK, to the writer of this "newsletter", say it with me, together now...

Seriously, tell us specifically what bugs you want fixed, NOT that you think the bugs are there simply because of the programming language the Finder is written in. News flash:
News flash: READ THE ARTICLE.

"To some, the fault lies in the fact that the Finder was programmed in Carbon rather than Cocoa. I won't even begin to tackle programming issues and the logic behind Apple's choices. I just want it fixed."
123 is offline   0
Old Oct 31, 2005, 05:44 PM   #17
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

not a new one, but an improved one would do just fine i think
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:03 PM   #18
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
not a new one, but an improved one would do just fine i think
Absolutely - as I said above, there's always room for improvement. That being said, you can't please all the people all the time, so there will always be people who would like to see things done a bit differently, but hey, what can you do?...

I'll be interested to see what Jobs has in store for Leopard's Finder. Or Leopard itself, for that matter...
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:12 PM   #19
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shard~
Absolutely - as I said above, there's always room for improvement. That being said, you can't please all the people all the time, so there will always be people who would like to see things done a bit differently, but hey, what can you do?...

I'll be interested to see what Jobs has in store for Leopard's Finder. Or Leopard itself, for that matter...
i agree, and am looking forward to what is in store for us....

i think the finder has a lot of wasted space right now, things need to be tightened up and made a bit more visual orientied. better view options, and remembering settings etc.

its not bad by any means, but could certainly use some work.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:15 PM   #20
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis
i agree, and am looking forward to what is in store for us....

i think the finder has a lot of wasted space right now, things need to be tightened up and made a bit more visual orientied. better view options, and remembering settings etc.

its not bad by any means, but could certainly use some work.
Yes, remembering folder settings is a big pet peeve of mine - they could definitely improve that in the future!
Old Oct 31, 2005, 06:53 PM   #21
simX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123
News flash: READ THE ARTICLE.

"To some, the fault lies in the fact that the Finder was programmed in Carbon rather than Cocoa. I won't even begin to tackle programming issues and the logic behind Apple's choices. I just want it fixed."
I did read the article. He already began to tackle the "programming issues" simply by bringing it up. He could have easily just said "OMG there are too many bugs in the Finder and I want them fixed" but he has to mention the Carbon vs. Cocoa thing in passing.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 09:35 PM   #22
Eric5h5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by simX

Seriously, tell us specifically what bugs you want fixed, NOT that you think the bugs are there simply because of the programming language the Finder is written in. News flash: the same bad decisions and bad programming will lead to a similarly buggy Finder, whether or not it was programmed in Carbon or Cocoa.
News flash: neither Carbon nor Cocoa are programming languages. They are application environments. Cocoa is largely tied to Objective-C, while Carbon is pretty much language-independent. Cocoa is more high-level, whereas Carbon requires more low-level housekeeping with such things as mouse clicks and so on. Therefore, the Finder being Carbon is theoretically more bug-prone since there's more for the programmers to keep track of.

--Eric
Eric5h5 is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2005, 05:19 AM   #23
frogbat
macrumors newbie

i use windows at work and os x at home and would definitely love a hybrid of both ( tho admittedly i/'m still on panther so i havne't enjoyed the benefits of spotlight yet)

- windows has an excellent thumbnail mode
- the ability to view data by their meta data in details view
- i'd love to be able to filter files according to filetype, date created etc in any mode esp column mode - ( i often have to switch between column and list)
- column mode needs to be a bit more intuitive as there's little feedback at times - i get confused as to which folder i'm actually in
- i'd like the views to be able to support keyboard input better - if i start typing the name of the files it should find them - so far it does a half arsed job
- the file requestors should like, windows afford the functionality of the finder with perhaps some mac nanny-ing like enabling an advanced mode or asking multiple times if i'm sure i'd like to delete a file

one thing apple should never do though is to confuse the web broswer with the file browser.

i've found a couple of utilities such as pathfinder and some file requestor replacement sw but i've found them too slow to use on a daily basis
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:18 PM   #24
sjk
macrumors 6502a

shidoshi's 10.5 Finder mockup (via a post in Mac OS X 10.5 Details?) is pretty cool.
sjk is offline   0
Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:23 PM   #25
dubbz
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk
shidoshi's 10.5 Finder mockup (via a post in Mac OS X 10.5 Details?) is pretty cool.
Ok, that one looks great!

The Finder doesn't really have to be replaced, but definitely need a little work.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion