Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpp71

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Where you live
Hello Guys, I recently acquired a dual G5 2.3gz 4gb ram xserve, a 7tb xserve raid array, and a new copy of Mac OS 10.5 server... Now I have been using Macs since 1994, however I am a server noob. I want to setup an FTP server and something local I can toss all kinds of stuff, I'd like to only use half of the array space and the rest as a backup of the info stored there.

Anyone know a step by step guide, or have any advise. :apple:

Thanks ;)

----------

Oh also it should be noted that I don't plan to get much traffic on this server, maybe 1-10 users at most at time. I am currently using dreamhost, I wouldn't mind using my server as a web server/ mail server too... But again, that part might be to much for me to achive.

I am willing to buy extra software/parts to make this happen

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Hello Guys, I recently acquired a dual G5 2.3gz 4gb ram xserve, a 7tb xserve raid array, and a new copy of Mac OS 10.5 server... Now I have been using Macs since 1994, however I am a server noob. I want to setup an FTP server and something local I can toss all kinds of stuff, I'd like to only use half of the array space and the rest as a backup of the info stored there.

Anyone know a step by step guide, or have any advise. :apple:

Thanks ;)

----------

Oh also it should be noted that I don't plan to get much traffic on this server, maybe 1-10 users at most at time. I am currently using dreamhost, I wouldn't mind using my server as a web server/ mail server too... But again, that part might be to much for me to achive.

I am willing to buy extra software/parts to make this happen

In all honesty you'd be far better off with an Intel Mac Mini and a far newer version of OS X Server. Unless this is a project for nostalgic reasons, which can be fun of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.