Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I just got home with my new Magic Mouse (AND LOVING IT) but I suspect that device I brought home is an open box item.

1. When I paired the device with my Mac, it says "Reneaz's Mouse" is connected. My name is not Reneaz.
if2wax.png

2. The black plastic bits on the bottom of the device are already scratched and worn.
3. It came with Energizer batteries (Is this typical?).

Should (or can) I request an exchange? If the item was returned, I do not want to take any changes that the device is faulty.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Yup, it's used, and I don't even remember the batteries it came with (if any at all?), but if yes they weren't energizer.

Just return the thing.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Just got back from exchanging it. This time, it automatically renamed the device to the correct name, so I am certain that the first one was an open box. The second one did however still come with Energizer batteries. I will probably invest in some rechargeable Apple batteries in the future.

All is well. Crisis averted.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
My new Magic Mouse also came with Energizer batteries. They do not come with apple rechargeable batteries.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I just got home with my new Magic Mouse (AND LOVING IT) but I suspect that device I brought home is an open box item.

1. When I paired the device with my Mac, it says "Reneaz's Mouse" is connected. My name is not Reneaz.
2. The black plastic bits on the bottom of the device are already scratched and worn.
3. It came with Energizer batteries (Is this typical?).

Should (or can) I request an exchange? If the item was returned, I do not want to take any changes that the device is faulty.

You could have changed your name to Renea and saved a lot of time...

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.