Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, we have a problem. I have just been looking at the rankings + it is obvious to see that we have just HIT a very large wall!!! There are many more teams that can pass us compared to ones we can pass!!!

We need that eMac lab + a few other computers if we are to make any progress!

Any ideas? The altivec client may help + a program to control 2 cpu's would also help.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
We'll be passing the following teams at our current output (assuming their output stays the same):
Hotmail, Team MacPhilez, OcUK, University of Alabama, Team Alberta, Mods4Me

We'll have the new eMac lab up in mid-January so we should see a good jump in output to a new plateau. I'm really happy with our current ouput, considering the number of active CPUs we have going.

mc68k and I are planning on working on an app in January but who knows how that will go. We do have a system for running 3.12 console on 2 CPUs that works well, but you need to be comfy in the Terminal to do it...

Overall, keep up the good work everyone! :D

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Im leaving my powerbook G4550 folding 24 hours a day and my PowerMac DP 1 Ghz folding around 16 hours a day. In January or February I'll add an Xserve DP and 2 iMacs... some more processors to help our team! I wish I could afford an IBM server with some 16 Power4 processosr to really give us a push... LOL :)

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
I'll be adding three new proceessors to the group (total of five) by the start of the new year. Of course, 24 hours a day.

Go MacRumors (and the cure of deadly diseases)!

Chad4Mac

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i remeber when our weekly output was ~1900 just a couple months ago. now it's ~3600. we've had a steady increase in active folding members/processors in the last few months. i have no doubt (with the size of our community) that we haven't reached our full potential. more people will join us now, just for the fact that we have a top 40 ranking.

now does that mean dramatic increases in overall output? no. but it does mean that our ouput will gradually go up as members add steady output to replace others who can't.

since this is a mac-based team, a greater percentage of the machines used here are macs. so to overcome this weakness, (relatively speaking) our greatest strength is steady output from lots of machines. we obviously can't be in the top 10, but we can strive to be the top mac team. i've never really seen our ouput go down like other teams, i've only seen it go up. how long this trend can continue is anyone's guess, but needless to say, i think this team is destined for a much higher ranking, possiibly due to its cohesiveness. many members have pledged future machines and labs to "the cause" which gives me a feeling that people here are looking to the future and really do care about what we're doing to say such things.

labs obviously contribute greatly, but are complemented by a vast grouping of machines (which could be considered a "lab" in a sense).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, it feels very steady these days.

When I first switched, there were only about 86 names in the list, now there are over 120. Many of them aren't active apparently because my G3/400 couldn't pass so many and get to #32 without some passive help from those not participating.

In the past three months, things have changed and it's nice to see others climbing the ladder. Now, if we each had a rack of 48 XServes... :)

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I am just a bit worried about the number of teams catching us up at them moment :

Asusboards.com, AthlonXP, Maximum PC Magazine, LITTLEWHITEDOG, Russia. To name a few.

The most annoying one is ATHLONXP!! I bet many have P4's, but, we cant have that!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Falleron
I am just a bit worried about the number of teams catching us up at them moment :

Asusboards.com, AthlonXP, Maximum PC Magazine, LITTLEWHITEDOG, Russia. To name a few.

The most annoying one is ATHLONXP!! I bet many have P4's, but, we cant have that!

Do you really think a team called Athlon anything has Pentium processors? I doubt that seriously. :D I'd think it more likely that they have Athlon processors which are also way faster than Motorola G-anything processors, except when they're powered off.

We'll get through it, we just need more members to contribute.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by bousozoku

Do you really think a team called Athlon anything has Pentium processors? I doubt that seriously. :D I'd think it more likely that they have Athlon processors which are also way faster than Motorola G-anything processors, except when they're powered off.

We'll get through it, we just need more members to contribute.
I bet they have some P4's in there!!! They are PC people! They are a strange bunch! :)

Lol

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Because you guys are worried and thos Xp's are catching up I'll throw my Dual ghz into the ring...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by W-_-W
Because you guys are worried and thos Xp's are catching up I'll throw my Dual ghz into the ring...
hey thanks for the support, every machine helps. how the hell do you say your name?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Falleron

I bet they have some P4's in there!!! They are PC people! They are a strange bunch! :)

Lol

Come now. That's what you say about those of us living in the states. :D It's probably true though...not the part about the P4s...the other part.

W-_-W:

Excellent!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK

Come now. That's what you say about those of us living in the states. :D It's probably true though...not the part about the P4s...the other part.

W-_-W:

Excellent!
I'm only joking about PC users being a strange bunch :) . Some are I am sure though. I wish there was a way I could prove that there are P4 users in the Athlon group! Could always find a P4 system and add some units to it (not).

Nah, I have nothing against people in the States. I want to come over sometime. However, I will always live here in the UK, its great.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i'm just curious about some things...is it bad to have a laptop running all the time cpu at full doing folding? and i notice when i fold my battery goes dead like 8x quicker...is that bad for the battery life?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by howard
i'm just curious about some things...is it bad to have a laptop running all the time cpu at full doing folding? and i notice when i fold my battery goes dead like 8x quicker...is that bad for the battery life?

That's because of all the disk access. As Rower says, keep it on AC.

W-_-W:

Hey, it's okay...I understand. :D I'm sure you'll get to Orlando some day. It would seem to be a big destination for the English.

Over Achiever:

One thing to note: They're Macs, not MACS. Thanks. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programme, already in progress. :)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001

W-_-W:

Hey, it's okay...I understand. :D I'm sure you'll get to Orlando some day. It would seem to be a big destination for the English.

Over Achiever:

You've lost me... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
Im leaving my powerbook G4550 folding 24 hours a day and my PowerMac DP 1 Ghz folding around 16 hours a day. In January or February I'll add an Xserve DP and 2 iMacs... some more processors to help our team! I wish I could afford an IBM server with some 16 Power4 processosr to really give us a push... LOL :)
You guys are buying macs just to get them into folding? Wow... :p
I would help but my poor 350 MHz doesn't help much :(
Anyway, I'll be happy if you give me some spare 1gig Powerbook so I can fold :D

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Hey, any help is welcome.

I'm folding on a 200 MHz Pentium MMX PC...look how far it's gotten me;)

And no, we're not buying computers to run F@H (at least I'm not). It just so happens that when we need a new computer, its conveient to run folding on it. I'll run folding when I get my GHz powerbook.;)

You should do the same when you get yours.:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Megaquad

You guys are buying macs just to get them into folding? Wow... :p
I would help but my poor 350 MHz doesn't help much :(
Anyway, I'll be happy if you give me some spare 1gig Powerbook so I can fold :D

Although I think about buying machines for folding, I don't. What Tiago can do, I don't know. :)

I would have my dad's iMac running folding but he's still on Mac OS 9.x and he can barely use that right now.

That 350 MHz can help. My older machine is a PM G3/400 and it's at position # 33, so you too can achieve.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Well lets just say we have PCs running in a Mac team...so Pentiums in an athlon team doesn't mean much :p IMO.

[EDIT]Edited the spelling[/EDIT]

I 100% agree! ;) I know I don't have any Macs yet! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.