Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollyann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Hi.

Bit embarrassing to be here as a lot of what I've read is pretty meaningless to me and makes me feel quite thick! But I'm a quick learner and willing to take whatever advice is offered, and a little patience will help a lot...

I've inherited an old iBook with OS X 10.2.3. I've been using it for pretty basic utilitarian purposes, but have been wondering about all the interesting stuff I read about and whether or not they are or could be made compatible with my little ol' Mac, specifically the bits of kit which interest me are iPods and the Freeview things that allow you to watch telly on your monitor.

The 'About this Mac' bit tells me this: Memory 192 MHz, Power PC G3.

Any ideas (in simple language) about how I could cheaply upgrade and enjoy whatever is left in the old girl?

Also, any recommendations for some cheap speakers? I like to listen to Radio 4 on the laptop - and would listen to music if it sounded good enough.

Many thanks - I feel infantile as if I'm learning to speak a new language - any help is most welcome!

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I would try selling it and getting a newer iBook... from what you told us you have a G3 iBook with 192MB of RAM. You could get a couple hundred bucks for it on eBay and get a brand new iBook G4. :D

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hey, she just wants to make the old iBook work. Gotta admire that. I'd do the same if I was newbie.

Get thee some memory. I suspect it takes 144pin pc100 chips. I may have one lying around here somewhere myself but better than that, get one on eBay for about 30 bucks. Get two. You can resell the memory if you do decide to sell the laptop.

so then you'll have 512mbs on a G3 machine. Not bad. Then, I'd update it to Panther, 10.3.9 you are on Jaguar OS 10.2. whatever. (Hey in meantime, there may be software updates for Jaguar. I'm not sure, but check the "software update" under the "Apple' icon at the top menu. IF you are on the internet, that is.) You can pick up Panther discs for another 20 25 bucks on eBay or Craigslist if you are lucky. Again, not a horrid investment -- you can resell later if you're not happy.

If it doesn't have an airport card, you can hook it up to the internet via a ethernet wire or (horrors) dial up -- but I'd invest in an airport card. I bought one new a few months ago for 70 bucks but I see they are going for more on eBay these days. If you already have one, great.

Then you are set for the internet. If you want to do word processing, you'll have to have Microsoft Word for the Mac, but it may be installed already. Check it out. The final thing I personally would do is get a new faster hard drive as your old iBook's drive is probably just that -- old. The machine will work speedier with a newer faster hard drive, but you don't NEED to do this now.

All of the above is IMHO, of course. Good luck. I love breathing new life into old Macs. Keep us posted.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Have you ever used a mac before? My suggestion would be to play around with it for awhile, get used to the operating system. It might be a good idea to stop by your local Apple store and pick up 10.4 (Tiger), which isn't really an expensive update. If you can do everything you want to do with it, that's great. If not, you can think about buying more RAM. If you want to watch TV on your iBook, eyeTV is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.