Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old May 26, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Ipad 3 - Run out of Power - Now Bootlooping

Ipad 3 on 6.0.1 Jailbroken.

The battery run out and I am charging it. However when it starts up, it goes onto home screen for less than a second then shuts down due to low battery and repeats. This happens every roughly 2 minutes, as though it gains 1% then loses that 1% when turning on, then shuts off again and repeats.

When the apple logo is on during the repeat process, I hold down lock and home button to get it to shut down manually but then after few seconds it comes back.

EDIT -

1. Volume up, down and headphones clicker do not allow it to go into safe mode.
2. I can turn it off when its on apple logo by holding home and lock, but then it goes onto the very low battery icon and reboots itself without me pressing anything. It then goes onto home screen for a second, has no battery and shuts off as already described.

Update
3. For 1hr 5m I performed constant hard shutdowns by pressing home and lock together when it was boot loooping and apple logo was on screen. I thought this may increase battery, It did not. I dont think its a battery issue with charging but a jailbreak error.

Thoughts please?

----- Update ----- 29.05.13

So I fixed it.

1. I drained the battery as much as I could, constantly pressing buttons to get the low battery sign screen up for about a day whenever I was near the ipad.
2. Then I left it in DFU mode for a night and a day without charging.
3. Then I left it charge for another night while in DFU mode.
4. It turned on first time this morning and it was 4% battery.

It seems to be working as before and is now charging.

Last edited by Jakebrown; May 29, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Jakebrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Almost the same happened to my 6.1.2 iPhone 5 yesterday.

Starting at 100% battery level, I've run quite a bit (80 minutes) with the iPhone. I basically do interval training, meaning I run quite fast for about a minute or two, then, I start walking (and reading on the iPhone), then, I take down the iPhone again and start running etc. During all this, I listened to a radio play (HGTTG), which was constantly on and almost at full volume, and have read some threads here at MR in Safari, after disabling f.lux.

After the running, the battery was around 60%. (Dunno why it has decreased this fast. The backlight needed to be on a quite high level as the gym where I run was pretty well-lit by the Sun.)

Then, I went out to a restaurant to have lunch with the wife. There, I continued browsing and also took a short video with my full sensor tweak (which makes use of the CPU at 100%, as it downsamples the entire sensor). When we finished lunch, the battery was at 48% - all this, from 100%, in some 3 hours. I slid the iPhone in my pocket and only took it out (switched it on) in about 10 minutes.

To my horror, it wouldn't start. Putting it on charger didn't help. The DFU mode was all I could reach - but not always. Now and then, the Apple logo would be displayed - but, then, it faded away after 4-5 seconds. On Saturday, I was able to switch the phone to recovery mode too (not any more today, that is, Sunday - dunno why. Today, iTunes doesn't even see the phone being in DFU mode any more, not even when the black screen is backlit, showing it's in DFU mode). Kicking out of recovery mode by TO resulted in the same "fading Apple logo" problem.

iExplorer and other file tools don't see anything.

Posts on the Net stated the fading Apple logo is because of the low battery charge. Given that, on Saturday, the battery level decreased quite fast, it may indeed be the case. Those posts also recommended keeping the phone on charger for some time and only after that re-trying. I've tried this too- to no avail.

Hope I'll be able to save the JB...
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Boot it up holding down the volume button. I think it's the plus button. U can then un install the tweKs
Old May 26, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Boot it up holding down the volume button. I think it's the plus button. U can then un install the tweKs
I wish it was this easy...
Old May 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #5
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I wish it was this easy...
the new substrate allows it.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
BumpyFlatline
macrumors 68030

Quote:
FYI, Menneisyys2 is a jailbreaking veteran. He is pretty technical too. He has written some fantastic articles posted in this forum. You should check them out. Good stuff!
BumpyFlatline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
This will not work. You can not start it up by holding the volume up button and get into safe mode. It just doesnt work. The boot loop keeps going and going and going. Really dont know what to do.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Are you usi the recommended power brick?
Do you get enough time to power it off after boot so it stays off??
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Are you usi the recommended power brick?
Do you get enough time to power it off after boot so it stays off??
I can boot it off when its on apple logo. But it turns itself back on and repeats (while being charged). Its as though turning itself back on once charged back to 1% then losing that 1% when it turns itself back on.

Volume up, down and clicker on the headphones does not allow safe mode either.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebrown View Post
I can boot it off when its on apple logo. But it turns itself back on and repeats (while being charged). Its as though turning itself back on once charged back to 1% then losing that 1% when it turns itself back on.

Volume up, down and clicker on the headphones does not allow safe mode either.
Ok you had the same issue I did. I kept doing a hard reset the second it showed the apple logo managed to get to 3% charge then it booted fully and I turned the screen off. Took 10 minutes but was worth it
Old May 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
Ok you had the same issue I did. I kept doing a hard reset the second it showed the apple logo managed to get to 3% charge then it booted fully and I turned the screen off. Took 10 minutes but was worth it
Ive tried that and it wasn't giving me luck. I also put it in recovery mode and DFU mode to charge and left it for half hour. Came back and it was boot looping again. Trouble is iPads take a long time to charge.

I guess i'll keep trying it an hour or so, Just cant lose jailbreak. Ive got snowbreeze on my iphone 4 so I can always do a restore to my saved ISPW and shsh but ipad 3 doesnt have this option :/
Old May 27, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Ive tried that and it wasn't giving me luck. I also put it in recovery mode and DFU mode to charge and left it for half hour. Came back and it was boot looping again. Trouble is iPads take a long time to charge.

I guess i'll keep trying it an hour or so, Just cant lose jailbreak. Ive got snowbreeze on my iphone 4 so I can always do a restore to my saved ISPW and shsh but ipad 3 doesnt have this option :/
You could if your that crazy take the front off and disconnect the screen as that's the biggest power drain its a pain to do tho lol
Old May 27, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
You could if your that crazy take the front off and disconnect the screen as that's the biggest power drain its a pain to do tho lol
Dont think thats gona be an option, but i will youtube a few videos so see how easy it is. 31 minutes into this constant hard shutdown. Its now restarting every 20seconds or so, so it gives me hope that its actually charging a bit. But ive had boot loops before that they are demoralizing lol.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Dont think thats gona be an option, but i will youtube a few videos so see how easy it is. 31 minutes into this constant hard shutdown. Its now restarting every 20seconds or so, so it gives me hope that its actually charging a bit. But ive had boot loops before that they are demoralizing lol.
Should always remember to charge as and when, there is no ill effects from charging from 90,70 or whatever percent.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Well I kept doing it for 1hr 5minutes. When it loaded onto homescreen it still said 1% then shut off and its boot looping again. This is defo a weird jailbreak error, Otherwise it would be listening to my button commands and staying shut off.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Well I kept doing it for 1hr 5minutes. When it loaded onto homescreen it still said 1% then shut off and its boot looping again. This is defo a weird jailbreak error, Otherwise it would be listening to my button commands and staying shut off.
Sounds more like you've managed to kill your battery. If you drain the battery past a certain level it can't be brought back from death.

If you have saved your blobs try a duff restore if you can't get it to even do that then apple store for a new ipad.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
Sounds more like you've managed to kill your battery. If you drain the battery past a certain level it can't be brought back from death.

If you have saved your blobs try a duff restore if you can't get it to even do that then apple store for a new ipad.
duff restore? ive got the blobs and ispw

Last edited by Jakebrown; May 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #18
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
duff restore? ive got the blobs and ispw
iPad spell check seems to have Simpsons on its mind lol

Dfu restore
Old May 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Jakebrown
macrumors member

Quote:
iPad spell check seems to have Simpsons on its mind lol

Dfu restore
How do i do a DFU Restore? Redsnow is not compatible with Ipad 3, I think it uses a5 chip

Also going into DFU mode, then itunes then pressing shift to manually select ISPW does not work it gives an error

Last edited by Jakebrown; May 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #20
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
How do i do a DFU Restore? Redsnow is not compatible with Ipad 3, I think it uses a5 chip

Also going into DFU mode, then itunes then pressing shift to manually select ISPW does not work it gives an error
http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode
Old May 27, 2013, 12:24 PM   #21
darricksailo
macrumors 68040

Quote:

As far as I'm aware of, you can only dfu restore to 6.1.3
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #22
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
As far as I'm aware of, you can only dfu restore to 6.1.3
Correct, you will loose the JB.

Have you tried a wall charger, different computer, different USB

Tried TinyUmbrella?
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 01:39 PM   #23
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyFlatline View Post
FYI, Menneisyys2 is a jailbreaking veteran. He is pretty technical too. He has written some fantastic articles posted in this forum. You should check them out. Good stuff!
oh, ok cool. ill check it out
Old May 27, 2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Almost the same happened to my 6.1.2 iPhone 5 yesterday.

Starting at 100% battery level, I've run quite a bit (80 minutes) with the iPhone. I basically do interval training, meaning I run quite fast for about a minute or two, then, I start walking (and reading on the iPhone), then, I take down the iPhone again and start running etc. During all this, I listened to a radio play (HGTTG), which was constantly on and almost at full volume, and have read some threads here at MR in Safari, after disabling f.lux.

After the running, the battery was around 60%. (Dunno why it has decreased this fast. The backlight needed to be on a quite high level as the gym where I run was pretty well-lit by the Sun.)

Then, I went out to a restaurant to have lunch with the wife. There, I continued browsing and also took a short video with my full sensor tweak (which makes use of the CPU at 100%, as it downsamples the entire sensor). When we finished lunch, the battery was at 48% - all this, from 100%, in some 3 hours. I slid the iPhone in my pocket and only took it out (switched it on) in about 10 minutes.

To my horror, it wouldn't start. Putting it on charger didn't help. The DFU mode was all I could reach - but not always. Now and then, the Apple logo would be displayed - but, then, it faded away after 4-5 seconds. On Saturday, I was able to switch the phone to recovery mode too (not any more today, that is, Sunday - dunno why. Today, iTunes doesn't even see the phone being in DFU mode any more, not even when the black screen is backlit, showing it's in DFU mode). Kicking out of recovery mode by TO resulted in the same "fading Apple logo" problem.

iExplorer and other file tools don't see anything.

Posts on the Net stated the fading Apple logo is because of the low battery charge. Given that, on Saturday, the battery level decreased quite fast, it may indeed be the case. Those posts also recommended keeping the phone on charger for some time and only after that re-trying. I've tried this too- to no avail.

Hope I'll be able to save the JB...
Literally exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Had to go to the apple store for a replacement phone. They didn't know it was jailbroken since it couldn't be turned on.

Jailbreak is now gone, pretty disappointing.
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 03:15 AM   #25
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac7 View Post
Literally exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Had to go to the apple store for a replacement phone. They didn't know it was jailbroken since it couldn't be turned on.

Jailbreak is now gone, pretty disappointing.
That's very bad news. What did the Apple folks tell you? Was it a faulty battery? I noticed very fast drain - and not because of stale processes consuming 100% CPU time. (I routinely check my JB'n iDevices with top to find stale processes / daemons using the CPU.) Or, was it overheating? I keep my iPhone5 in an Otterbox Defender (with the original screen protector). Given that there was quite warm in the gym (around 28C degrees) and I've kept the iPhone in my hand half of the time further heating the device, this may have contributed to the battery dying on me - dunno.

BTW, I'm still trying to "kick in" the iPhone to save my JB. Yesterday, I got very desperate and tried to restore when the phone was detected by iTunes - was presented the 1600 error. Keeping it on a charger (with different, all-official, cables) didn't help. Now I'm trying to completely drain the battery (with the device in DFU mode with the backlight on) to see whether it helps.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks