Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I'm moving from a mountain bike to a road bike. I currently have a GT Tequesta bought around 1995 and I'm looking at a Trek 1.1, my goal is primarily fitness and weight loss.

I'm looking at a new bike computer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 for GPS tracking but want a computer for real-time monitoring. I have my eye on the Cateye Strada wireless series, debating between the single and double (double adds cadence which I don't need but might want the chainstay-mount if I pick up an indoor trainer for the winter).

Are there other computers I should consider?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I haven't, yet, and may not. I just felt like I'd be able to ride further on a road-oriented bike. On top of that, the bike was 15 years old and was bought while I was still a teenager so I felt a bike sized better for my current self would also help with that.

Bought the new bike yesterday, a Trek 1.1, but only really had time for a short jaunt yesterday due to weather coming in.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I've tried the iPhone in a bike holder thing. Wasn't for me. Too much drain on the battery and too much glare from the holder. I now use a Garmin Edge 500. Gives me speed/cadence as well as heart-rate monitor. I've thought about going to the Edge 510 (with live tracking, i.e. others can track you as you ride on the web) but it's not the best-reviewed. Any questions? Shoot!

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Garmin Edge 500 with cadence/speed sensor.

Decent amount of money but worth it in the end.

ben123456

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2012
I just got the Joule by CycleOps and love it. It also comes with a year MVP membership on map ride.com and app. Haven't had a whole lot of time with it but so far so good

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Brand new cyclist, so take it for what it is worth, but with my new road bike, I purchased Sigma's BC 1609 computer. I knew I wanted something with cadence, because, as a new rider, I would otherwise have really no idea how fast or slow I was spinning, and this model had great reviews on Amazon (not that Amazon is the be-all/end-all of reviews, but in general they get it right) for less than $30.

51iANabuqlL._SX385_.jpg

I'll be happy with this for a long time...until I'm so into biking that I need something with GPS capability.

In addition to this small computer, I also have Strava running on my phone in either my saddle bag or my jersey pocket.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I'm moving from a mountain bike to a road bike. I currently have a GT Tequesta bought around 1995 and I'm looking at a Trek 1.1, my goal is primarily fitness and weight loss.

I'm looking at a new bike computer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 for GPS tracking but want a computer for real-time monitoring. I have my eye on the Cateye Strada wireless series, debating between the single and double (double adds cadence which I don't need but might want the chainstay-mount if I pick up an indoor trainer for the winter).

Are there other computers I should consider?

I have a CatEye Mity 8. I don't think they make it anymore, but it's a basic wired computer with 8 functions. No cadence, no GPS, no calorie count, heart rate, etc. All I need it for is current and average speed, and odometer. I just ride for fitness, I don't care what cadence I'm at I just pedal what seems comfortable, and I can feel my heartbeat just fine on my own. I like going fast and I like pushing myself so the speeds are important. And it's good to know how many miles are on the bike.

Looks like their Velo 7 is their current, equivalent product.

Then to record my rides, I use an app called Strava on my iPhone. I just launch it, hit start, then lock the phone and put it in my jersey pocket. It uses the GPS. When I get back I can check out my route, my speed, elevation changes, elapsed time... And I can shame myself by seeing how long its been since my last ride!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks. I was leaning toward a Cateye Strada Wireless, will have to look at the ones mentioned here.

As noted, I have a ForeRunner 110 GPS watch for recording the track for upload to Runkeeper. I have an Android phone and have found (after only a couple workouts with the watch) that the phone really wasn't that great as far as accuracy. I'm not looking for "iPhone would be SOO much better" posts, the phone I have is GREAT for navigation, just not for tracking walking/biking.

I agree with the glare concerns having the phone on the handlebars, can't use the thing for EVERYTHING. In fact, I have a handlebar mount for my phone on my MTB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.