Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Removing iPhone 5 cameras

Hello all,

I just accepted a new position at a defense plant that doesn't allow any camera phones into the facility. Has anyone had to remove the cameras from an iPhone before? Is there a software solution that effectively removes camera capability?
pooleman is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 02:03 PM   #2
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Yes, go into Settings, General, Restrictions. Flip off Camera and the Camera will be disabled.
DayOfChaos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

It's almost had to find a smart phone without a camera now a days. I get the security but this will be harder and harder unless they just ban cell phones.
Primejimbo is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 02:19 PM   #4
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Yes, go into Settings, General, Restrictions. Flip off Camera and the Camera will be disabled.
I understand that but it's not secure. I could just turn it back on once I'm in the facility.
pooleman is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 02:29 PM   #5
cynics
macrumors 603

On occasion I work in areas like that. For me there is no solution. It has to be a phone built without a camera or no phone at all.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

If this is as serious as it sounds, THEY ARE NOT going to slowly inspect your phone to go by your assertion that the camera is been removed.

Everybody think whatever makes sense, they will accommodate you. NO. Security doesn't have time to deal with every little exception you may think of. The guard will go by the book, no cellphones and that's that.
Old May 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a

You gave to get a different phone, or no phone at all, unless exceptions are made.
Paddle1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:00 PM   #8
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
I understand that but it's not secure. I could just turn it back on once I'm in the facility.
There are software ways to do it via exchange profiles and that sort of thing but they are all or nothing. No way to set it to only trigger when you are at work. At least that I know of
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a

You said NO camera phones are allowed in the facility, I don't think just turning it off is enough.
Paddle1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #10
localboy28
macrumors 6502a

You could try ....

http://asia.cnet.com/hands-on-apple-...a-62213320.htm

Last edited by dejo; May 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: livened link.
localboy28 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:18 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I've read that companies are able to disable certain features of a phone via software. I assume this is through enterprise settings , or some such? I would ask your IT supervisor. If they allow you to bring your own devices in at all, I am certain they would have an answer for you. Smartphones are very common and they all come with cameras. Hell, it's tough to find even a dumb
Phone without one.

Last edited by lordofthereef; May 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:19 PM   #12
darster
macrumors 68000

Do you need your cellphone at work in a defense plant? Probably not. Leave it at home or in your locked car.
darster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Do you need your cellphone at work in a defense plant? Probably not. Leave it at home or in your locked car.
I can see wanting it for security reasons. Also, immediate family may need to contact the individual. In short, this response did nothing to answer the question. Do you really think the OP couldn't come up with this answer on his own?
Old May 26, 2013, 03:29 PM   #14
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I can see wanting it for security reasons. Also, immediate family may need to contact the individual. In short, this response did nothing to answer the question. Do you really think the OP couldn't come up with this answer on his own?
How did people function 5 years ago without smartphones? They were able to work. People were able to contact them. You do know they do have landlines at these plants. If someone needs to get a hold of you, they can. I have worked at places where cameras on phones were not allowed. After a few days without having it on you, you don't even miss it.
darster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
pooleman
macrumors 65816

At this point I pretty much live on my iPhone. My wife has no cell at all but she sends me iMessages from her iPad. Yes i can live without my phone at work, I just like having it on me. I found a company that will remove your phones camera for $19. When i start on June 3rd I will ask security specifically what i have to do to be allowed to bring in my iPhone.
Old May 26, 2013, 05:05 PM   #16
quite98
macrumors newbie

I've experience of two major auto manufacturers that do not allow cameras on-site. The first requires employees wishing to carry cellphones or laptops with webcams to have a non-removable sticker placed over the camera. The second uses a chemical dripped onto the lens. Neither solution is reversible.
quite98 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 05:20 PM   #17
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
How did people function 5 years ago without smartphones? They were able to work. People were able to contact them. You do know they do have landlines at these plants. If someone needs to get a hold of you, they can. I have worked at places where cameras on phones were not allowed. After a few days without having it on you, you don't even miss it.
Certainly, people were able to function before smartphones. We were able to function a few decades ago without airbags in cars (and people still do), but when you have the CHOICE, most generally choose not to. The OP here has a choice, I am almost sure of it (again, assuming his company uses the appropriate software). Telling him to leave the phone at home is unnecessary and unhelpful; I am sure he doesn't need you to tell him that's an option.

Also, depending on where exactly he works, a mobile phone could be a lifeline as well. Sometimes you can't rely on a landline if, for example, there is a risk of attack. Plenty of cases where a well hidden phone has saved a persons's life. Can't exactly do that with a phone tethered to one's desk.

----------

The guide below may provide some useful information...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ment_Guide.pdf
Old May 26, 2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
a persons's life. Can't exactly do that with a phone tethered to one's desk
Good gracious man, ur pulling up the dictionary to quote all kind of reasons. U law student or something? ^)

OP is the employee and will abide to what empleyer asks of him regardless what we say here, unless the guy is disabled in some fashion and the law mandates "reasonable" accommodation.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Then have the security set the code and not tell you what it is.
DayOfChaos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 02:24 AM   #20
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Good gracious man, ur pulling up the dictionary to quote all kind of reasons. U law student or something? ^)

OP is the employee and will abide to what empleyer asks of him regardless what we say here, unless the guy is disabled in some fashion and the law mandates "reasonable" accommodation.
Nope. Not a law student. I'm just pointing out that its redundant and unhelpful to say "just go without your phone". He obviously hasn't been told point blank he cannot bring his phone in otherwise he wouldn't have started the thread. I know for a fact that there are companies that are willing to disable the camera for you. I know about this from another thread and, if I'm not mistaken, the person who mentioned it works for the department of defense. At the end of the day, I was trying to actually five the OP some useful information, which seems to be scarce in this thread.

Last edited by lordofthereef; May 27, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
lordofthereef is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 07:17 AM   #21
SR45
Banned

They should have a place to store ones phone during business hours. Or just leave it in a locked car. Hopefully, they would have security camera's in the parking lot if they are that security minded.
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:18 AM   #22
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Blackberry makes non camera versions of their phones for this reason. You can probably pick up a cheap and used one on the Internet. They are hard to come by, but were indeed offered for situations like this.
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:29 AM   #23
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
At this point I pretty much live on my iPhone. My wife has no cell at all but she sends me iMessages from her iPad. Yes i can live without my phone at work, I just like having it on me. I found a company that will remove your phones camera for $19. When i start on June 3rd I will ask security specifically what i have to do to be allowed to bring in my iPhone.
Or, just buy one of those old and cheap phones that don't have cameras, and enjoy your full iPhone when you're not working. At least you can reduce the risk of potentially ruining your iPhone!
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:37 AM   #24
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Chances are, the company won't accept a software solution to this issue. There's likely no way they will trust that. Don't destroy your phone though of this. Your only option, short of asking them if they will accept software modification, will be you will need a separate cameraless work phone.
dictoresno is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:58 AM   #25
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you're on AT&T, the store on Broad Street can disable the camera using parental controls, and write a letter for security. Bring it to the gate, they will inspect it and give it a sticker. You're good to go. I'm not saying the policy makes any sense whatsoever, but that's what the policy is. My 4S is disabled this way, and is allowed in all of the facilities (I'm in three of the four on a regular or semi-regular basis).

----------

Also, if you remove the case, you have to go back to security and get a new sticker put on the new case, so get whatever case you want to keep (if you're in the trades or deck plate engineering, an Otterbox, Lifeproof or the like might be a good idea).
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone