Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Looking to dip my toe in the Android world...am on Verizon. What is the least expensive phone to experience vanilla Android 4.2, Google Now (full, not iOS)? Looked at used Samsung Galaxy Nexus but that is still $100 at least.

Thanks for suggestions, rather spend around $50 or less if possible for now, just looking for something to play around with really

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Looking to dip my toe in the Android world...am on Verizon. What is the least expensive phone to experience vanilla Android 4.2, Google Now (full, not iOS)? Looked at used Samsung Galaxy Nexus but that is still $100 at least.

Thanks for suggestions, rather spend around $50 or less if possible for now, just looking for something to play around with really

Good luck. 4.2 requires certain specs if you want to run a stock variant of Androif, and I doubt you'll find a cheap phone running the latest OS. Especially with Verizon!

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
You could either buy a Nexus 7 tablet, or buy an old Verizon Galaxy Nexus, bare in mind it is a last gen device.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I did consider the Nexus 7, but I need something more portable. May have to go with the Gnex I guess

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

After android 4.3 or whatever the next version is it likely won't get anymore updates from Google so keep that in mind.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
No it doesn't. Mine barely lasted a day and it was the GSM version. The VZW version is even worse than that.

My Verizon one lasts more than a day no problem. The gsm one should have no problem doing a day.

I have 64% left with 13 hours off the charger, 90 minutes of screen on, about an hour of phone calls, and playing music through my car stereo for about an hour.

Last edited:

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Battery life on the Galaxy Nexus is good. Anyone who says different either:
1. has a crap-ton of apps idling in the background
2. keeps their screen on all the time
3. lives in an area with bad reception (meaning the radio is drawing extra power).

I have both a GSM and CDMA (Sprint) Galaxy Nexus.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
The GSM GNex has fine battery life. I'm presuming you have the CDMA/lte version?

I would still call it poor compared to other android phones. It just does not have the power effiency and handling of others. The running theory on this is because it is open source it does not have access to the property stuff that might increase it.

There was a huge difference in battery life when I went from a Galaxy Nexus GSM to a Galaxy S4. That being said teh Galaxy Nexus is a great phone and I really do like it.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
He did use the word "likely" indicating that it was his speculation...

Its not like he said this:

Easy there tiger...I was seriously asking if there was a source for his notion or if it was just speculation. I saw his reply below.

I'm just speculating. But it lines up with what Google has done in the past with their updating. They typically only support their phones for around 2 years so the galaxy's days are probably limited.

Thank you. I wasn't trying to be smart...I was really wondering if I'd missed something.

I too have heard this recently. I don't remember it was through a news article or just on the forums.

Thanks. :D

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Truthfully, TRUTHFULLY, you are missing very little with Google Now. I have already disabled it as it didn't really seem to add any real value.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
On the subject of the GNex battery life, I am presently running my own little experiment on my GNex. I got fed up with the 2 hours of screen time I was getting on just about any ROM.

So I did a fresh install of Rassaber ( no specific reason for choosing it) and flashed the Rasbean Gapps. With just one app installed - K9 mail set to sync hourly with Yahoo mail and Gmail push mail - I am getting close to 18 hours of battery with 3.5-4 hours screen time (OST).

Subsequently, I installed Facebook, Google Maps , and Google Search ( Google Now). My battery life dropped back to the aforesaid 2 hours screen time. I uninstalled Google Now, and my battery life is back up to 3 hours OST. I plan to run this setup for the next few days, reinstall Google Now and see if anything changes.

To the OP- if you can live with the battery life, the GNex is a great value at $100.

----------

Truthfully, TRUTHFULLY, you are missing very little with Google Now. I have already disabled it as it didn't really seem to add any real value.

I am missing Google Now . I love having all my team scores, my stocks all a swipe away.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA

Really? I love the watered down version in iOS. I figured I'd REALLY love the 'full' version in Android. Plus I am considering moving to an Android phone along with iPad mini in the future.

I suppose the sensible thing would for me to buy a Nexus 7 and use my iPhone's hotspot. Then I'll at least have a tablet I can share with my kids (I have an iPad as well)

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Battery life on the Galaxy Nexus is good. Anyone who says different either:
1. has a crap-ton of apps idling in the background
2. keeps their screen on all the time
3. lives in an area with bad reception (meaning the radio is drawing extra power).

I have both a GSM and CDMA (Sprint) Galaxy Nexus.

So says you.

My question is how much screen time do you get?

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Truthfully, TRUTHFULLY, you are missing very little with Google Now in my opinion. I have already disabled it as it didn't really seem to add any real value in my opinion. YMMV.

Fixed that for you.

While it's all well and good that Google Now isn't for you, that doesn't mean it's not for the OP or me or anyone else. Especially when the OP is specifically asking about Google Now and how he can experience the full version of it.

What may be your truth isn't necessarily every other user's truth.

For example, I really like Google Now. I like how it's predictive rather than reactive. But I also realize OP may get to experience it and not care for it or find it useful. And you know what, that's OK. I'm not going to get all offended when someone doesn't like something that I do. But I'm also not going to try and dissuade someone from trying it and finding out for themselves either.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I'm enjoying Google Now. Today, it showed me a brand new album by one of my most favorite bands that just came out today. I clicked on it and it took me to Google Music where I listened to the entire thing.

It's always showing me things I never expected.

My user name here is from one of their songs.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I'm enjoying Google Now. Today, it showed me a brand new album by one of my most favorite bands that just came out today. I clicked on it and it took me to Google Music where I listened to the entire thing.

It's always showing me things I never expected.

My user name here is from one of their songs.

Awesome. Even on the watered down iOS version, i googled a movie theater this weekend for Hangover 3 show times...bought tickets, etc. few minutes later I opened the google app and the directions popped up for me without me even asking. This, I love. This is why I want to try the full version to see what I'm missing, like better reminders and push notifications.

Hangover 3 is good, fwiw. My opinion :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.