Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yofruity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2013
I've used a Macbook Pro for about 18 months, although not exclusively as much of my work still requires a Windows PC.

One of the things that I can't fond on the Mac is the Character Map although there are all sorts of instructions given on various forum sites. Part of the problem in solving my problem is that Apple doesn't seem to have been consistent in it's terminology and menus. For example, one site suggested going to System Preferences/International/Input Menu ...
But not on my Macbook because the International option doesn't exist. Instead there's System Preferences/Language & Text/Input Sources ....

Then some suggestions include holding down some funny squiggle button on the keyboard. After much searching I find that this MAY be the button "alt / option" in the lower left of the keyboard next to the "Command" key. I understand that forums try to suggest solutions that mere mortals can understand but if Apple keeps changing the terms used then how can anyone follow instructions?

Now to my question. All I want to do is list an item for sale on eBay and describe the item's size using fractions. Can anyone tell me (knowing that my Macbook Pro was bought in December 2011 in Australia), if this is possible and easy. If I could display the characters on the screen in an application then I could cut/paste the characters that I want/need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.