Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retired

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
NOVA SCOTIA
When I try to send a new message it starts and then gets hung at about the very end I then get a message saying not delivered . i know from reading alot of people haveing the same problem . I can use everything else fine on the ipad . i tried everything people suggested but no luck .
If I receive a message I seem to be able to reply and keep the conversation going . If say the next day I delete the whole conversation and try to start a new one to another ipad the message gets hung up
Ok i sent a message to my daughters Ipad min wifi from my iphone 4 . She answered right away and We kept the conversation going on the phone

I had a look at my Ipad mini wi fi only and it was there under messages . I switched to the ipad and we messagesd a little bit no problem with the going back and forth . We said good by

Why can't I start a new message and have it go Anybody help

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Sounds more like your message isn't going through because their device is off, which explains why when they start it, it works. Since the device is off, it won't deliver. And since it can't resort to sending as a text message since its not a phone you're sending to, it hangs.

retired

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
NOVA SCOTIA
You May have hit the nail on the head . I did not know that if the device is turned off the message does not get delivered but that makes sense . I will ask my daughter if she turns her ipad off . I thought she left it on all the time but I may be wrong . She takes it to work and maybe she has it off until coffee and lunch .
Your the first person to suggest that I thank you and will let the group know how I make out

I have tried everything else

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Since the iPads are wifi data only and have no cell phone connection to fall back on (in that case the iMessage will fail and send as an SMS), the message will hang. At least on a cell phone, the iMessage will send as an SMS and the system will attempt to deliver for up to a few days before failing. Seems like this solution is just more obvious and simpler than you thought. Easily verified by just calling her and making sure her ipad is on, $20 says you will be able to send her a message first.

retired

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
NOVA SCOTIA
Sounds more like your message isn't going through because their device is off, which explains why when they start it, it works. Since the device is off, it won't deliver. And since it can't resort to sending as a text message since its not a phone you're sending to, it hangs.

Well all is not well I spoke with my daughter and her ipad is on 24/7
so that is not the reason
She sent me a message . Got it on my phone but nothing on the ipad
Sent reply back phone ok nothing showed on ipad going or coming
turned off the phone to see if message would go . It would not
and nothing comes in
reset network settings on Ipad nothing Wifi works for everything else no problem on ipad

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
and nothing comes in
reset network settings on Ipad nothing Wifi works for everything else no problem on ipad

What is wrong with imessage on the ipad mini

Are you sending it to an email address or a phone number associated with her account?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
To an email address she only has the ipad no iphone

Ok I assume she does have a mobile number too. Check how you have her contact saved.

Make sure her mobile is saved in your contacts as 'mobile' not 'iPhone'

Make sure her email address is set as home too.

If all is good turn iMessage off in settings reboot (home+power) and then turn iMessage back on.

Now create a new message to her but after adding the contact at the top wait till you get a blue send button before you start typing..

retired

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
NOVA SCOTIA
and nothing comes in

What is wrong with imessage on the ipad mini

----------

[/COLOR]
Ok I assume she does have a mobile number too. Check how you have her contact saved.

Make sure her mobile is saved in your contacts as 'mobile' not 'iPhone'

Make sure her email address is set as home too.

If all is good turn iMessage off in settings reboot (home+power) and then turn iMessage back on.

Now create a new message to her but after adding the contact at the top wait till you get a blue send button before you start typing..

I checked her contact and its saved correctly . She has a pay as you go phone and its saved as mobile and her e-mail is set as home

I turned off imessage and turned it back on I created a message and it hung again at the very end

retired

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
NOVA SCOTIA
Just plugged my Ipad into my mac and went to itunes I checked all the settings and then did a sync . When I finished i then went to message again and the whole thread I started from my iphone this morning to my daughter was on the ipad I sent a reply marked test to see if it would go and it sent

I am scared to delete the thread and start a new conversation in case it does not go

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.