Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old May 27, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1
mattg3
macrumors 6502

Best sound quality-iPod Nano or touch?

My interest is these devices is to get best sound quality.Should i go with 16g newest version of Ipod Nano or Ipod touch?
mattg3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Definitely Touch. Even with better headphones, the iPod Nano is somewhat lacking. My $80 phone even sounds better.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:49 AM   #3
RadDave
macrumors regular

Not sure that I can be of much help but I'm in the market to replace an old iPod Touch 2G - if the newest iPod Nano & Touch have the same or a similar sound chip, I would suspect that sound quality would depend on many other factors: 1) Quality of the MP3 and/or AAC files, i.e. their bit rates; 2) Quality of the headphones used; or 3) If output is to speakers, then their quality.
RadDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
mattg3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Definitely Touch. Even with better headphones, the iPod Nano is somewhat lacking. My $80 phone even sounds better.
Do both have same audio sound chip since you have definitely found the touch superior?
Old May 27, 2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Do both have same audio sound chip since you have definitely found the touch superior?
I don't know what chips either use. However, because the Touch is designed for HD games, Netflix, and the like, it most definitely has the better option. Plus, you can actually plug in a pair of headphones without it looking absolutely ridiculous. My Sennheiser ones have a jack base that is like a centimeter thicker than the Nano itself. It's not a device for those that are really serious about their music.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
mattg3
macrumors 6502

thanks,do you have the 4th or 5th generation Ipod Touch?Im a little put off that no 16g 5th generation Touch exists which is why I was looking at the Nano.Cant see spending that kind of money for 32 g 5th gen Touch.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:45 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
thanks,do you have the 4th or 5th generation Ipod Touch?Im a little put off that no 16g 5th generation Touch exists which is why I was looking at the Nano.Cant see spending that kind of money for 32 g 5th gen Touch.
My brother has the 4th. They'll probably introduce a 16GB 5G in a few months or cut the price.

Here are my headphones plugged in by the way.

Thumb resize.

They weigh more than the Nano itself (and they're the cheap plastic ones with faux leather). Haha. The battery life is not all that great either. That's another thing I don't really like about it.

You'll enjoy the experience on the Touch better too. Better yet an iPod Classic might be the best option if you're only after to listen to music.
Old May 27, 2013, 01:49 PM   #8
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

I suggest you go on head-fi.org/f/ and look in their portable devices section.
Naturally, everyone there will most likely tell you to buy an audiophile amp, but there should be people there ready to help you.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

I don't see a sound difference in my iPhone vs my iPod Nano, If you a runner, the 7g nano is the perfect running device plus it can store more music then a ipod touch 4g. It is a great little music player. And you can normally find it on sale or refurbished for only $129.

Some people really complain that it is to small? Space wise you can make an argument since 16Gb is not all that much, but really? I don't get how it being smaller physical size wise, can possibly be a turn off for music folks.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

Volume-matched, using decent iems, the same AAC files and without any equalisation, I was unable to tell any difference whatsoever between the Nano and my 5th gen, Touch.

So they sound the same - to me, at any rate.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 02:49 AM   #11
cnev3
macrumors 6502

Storage will be your main concern, and bitrate will be the biggest factor with sound quality. If you are dead serious about sound quality, you'd probably want to get the 160GB iPod Classic and rip your music from CD to a high bitrate format which will demand that high capacity storage.

And i'm sure it goes without saying, quality head phones will be the next biggest factor.
cnev3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Ffosse
macrumors 6502

Buy both - that's what I did, and they sound the same anyway as I tested above.

I use the Nano outside and the Touch inside.

Last edited by Ffosse; Jun 1, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Ffosse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 06:13 PM   #13
hogger129
macrumors newbie

Quote:
My interest is these devices is to get best sound quality.Should i go with 16g newest version of Ipod Nano or Ipod touch?
If you're concerned with sound quality, get a 5.5G iPod Video that has the Wolfson DAC in it. Better yet, save up your benjamins and go buy an iMod from eBay that has that Wolfson DAC but has a bigger battery and a 240GB HDD in it. Run Rockbox and you have one heck of a music player.
hogger129 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:57 PM   #14
iPodJedi
macrumors 6502a

They are exactly the same but the new nano is better than the 4g touch...I believe the new 5s is the same as the new nano too if anyone is wondering.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod