Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Hi I have a 2008 macbook unibody with is the aluminum model:

I would like to install a second hard drive and remove the super drive, I have read online some people are using a ssd drive of 60gb for the main drive then put there original drive In the super drive.

Can you please tell me the benefit of doing that using a 60gb ssd drive and then use your 250gb In the super drive.

How many operating systems would It be possible to Install on my macbook with two hard drive Installed could you Install four 2 on each drive or would 2 be the max with the two drives.

Thanks.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You are only limited by the space and partitions.

Example, if a install is 8 GB and your HD is 80 GB you could have 8 partition all with OS X on it, 2 GB for paging.
This is just an example, no one does this though.

macbook100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
You are only limited by the space and partitions.

Example, if a install is 8 GB and your HD is 80 GB you could have 8 partition all with OS X on it, 2 GB for paging.
This is just an example, no one does this though.

Hi thanks for replying can you please tell me what you mean so if I install the second hard drive or do I have to say I put in a 1tb and not a second drive, how many operating systems could I run? Could I run mac,windows and linux? and when I boot up my mac would It show the three partitions?

Thanks
David :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi thanks for replying can you please tell me what you mean so if I install the second hard drive or do I have to say I put in a 1tb and not a second drive, how many operating systems could I run? Could I run mac,windows and linux? and when I boot up my mac would It show the three partitions?

Thanks
David :)

You can have two drives in your Mac as you wanted.

You can have 3 part ions and install Windows, OS X and Linux, if you already have them on the disk you just hold the Option key until the boot manager arrives, then choose the OS to boot from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.