Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjarold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I have a early 2009 octo mac pro.

Right now I have 2x gt120 cards, and no other expansion cards, and I am driving four displays (two DP displays and two DVI displays).

I'd like to drive more displays.

If I buy that new radeon 7950 and put it in my double-height slot 1, then put my two gt120 cards in slots 2 and 3 ... then I could drive:

- 4 existing displays with my 2x gt120
- 4 more displays (2 DP, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI) with the radeon 7950

*and* I'd still have one remaining unused expansion slot ... right ??

Any reason this wouldn't work ?

Energybutton

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
From what I've read the 7950 can only run two displays at a time. I was deciding between the 7950 and GTX 680, I chose the 680 as it can run 4 displays simultaneously.

Also running ATI and Nvidia drivers at the same time might cause conflict? although I'm not entirely sure about this.

gjarold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
edit: it appears it supports four ... hopefully that is the case...

So other than that, any other issues here ? One big card in slot 1, two gt120 cards in slots 2 and 3, and slot 4 is still empty ... and I drive 7 or 8 displays, depending on whether I choose to use HDMI port or not ... reasonable ???

Last edited:

Energybutton

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
Actually, just checking Sapphire's website it seems they have updated it,

Display Support 4 x Maximum Display Monitor(s) support

I'm sure it used to say it could only run 2 displays at a time.

Sorry for the misinformation, Maybe someone can chime in with the point in made about the drivers, good luck.

gjarold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Actually, just checking Sapphire's website it seems they have updated it,

Display Support 4 x Maximum Display Monitor(s) support

I'm sure it used to say it could only run 2 displays at a time.

Sorry for the misinformation, Maybe someone can chime in with the point in made about the drivers, good luck.

Out of curiousity, can this new card (radeon 7950) drive any 4k displays ? If so, how many ?

Edit: from the ATI page, I see this:

Ready for the world’s highest-resolution displays: Featuring full support for HDMI® (with 4K) and DisplayPort 1.2 HBR2, the AMD Radeon™ HD 7950 is ready for displays up to 4096x2160.

so the answer appears to be yes, and it looks like you can drive 4k from HDMI port as well ... does that mean I could drive 3 4k displays with this card (two displayport and one HDMI) ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.