Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 27, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1
xamp
macrumors newbie

Batch organizing files

I'm trying to get my mother's file system somewhat organized. She has images, office docs and other files all over the place and I'm looking for an application that will scan her drive then move the files into a specified location.

For example, I'd like her images to be moved and reorganized based off of the image data to a folder like:

/Pictures/2013/May/image_name.jpg

In this case I'd specify the "Pictures" folder as the root and then it would create both the "2013" and "May" folders based off of the image metadata and finally move the file into place.

In addition to images, she has videos, office docs and other proprietary files that I'd like to find and organize based off file extension.

While she will probably end up using Lightroom, I'd like to get the file system in order first. Anyone have any ideas? Are there programs that I can easily batch move files with?
xamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
slayerizer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamp View Post
I'm trying to get my mother's file system somewhat organized. She has images, office docs and other files all over the place and I'm looking for an application that will scan her drive then move the files into a specified location.

For example, I'd like her images to be moved and reorganized based off of the image data to a folder like:

/Pictures/2013/May/image_name.jpg

In this case I'd specify the "Pictures" folder as the root and then it would create both the "2013" and "May" folders based off of the image metadata and finally move the file into place.

In addition to images, she has videos, office docs and other proprietary files that I'd like to find and organize based off file extension.

While she will probably end up using Lightroom, I'd like to get the file system in order first. Anyone have any ideas? Are there programs that I can easily batch move files with?
Not sure how good the idea is.. If she use iPhoto, the images will be gone from the finder and imported into iPhoto which have it's own internal file management. You can also tell iTunes to organize folders automatically. The only thing remaining are the normal documents, as long as she can find back what she write, there is no real issue. She can always store them in iCloud.

Batch files could mess-up things more!
slayerizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion