Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008

Attachments

• 9QBFk4Yh.jpg
    9QBFk4Yh.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 62Ye77zh.jpg
    62Ye77zh.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 158
  • HJgnXmih.jpg
    HJgnXmih.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 152
  • LkBmPkjh.jpg
    LkBmPkjh.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 149
  • lz8FV3hh.jpg
    lz8FV3hh.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 161

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Every single one of these reports, including the "claimed" iphones exploding, have all been due to the user (and usually involve the user modifying the hardware in some way). Getting a li-ion battery to get hot enough to explode takes quite a bit of energy. I call b.s. on this report too. The owner did something to the phone to cause this. Guaranteed.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Every single one of these reports, including the "claimed" iphones exploding, have all been due to the user (and usually involve the user modifying the hardware in some way). Getting a li-ion battery to get hot enough to explode takes quite a bit of energy. I call b.s. on this report too. The owner did something to the phone to cause this. Guaranteed.

I agree, likely something was done, or an improper charger was used. Or the phone got wet and something shorted out.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
he prolly enabled super charge with a modded kernel and used a aftermarket charger or battery.Was the oem battery in the phone when it blew up?I cant see it in any pictures and Im willing to bet he had a cheapo china clone ebay battery in the phone.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Heh, amazing. Not the response I expected to be honest. Usually when it's an iPod or an iPhone that blows up the response is generally "serious manufacturing defect, unsafe batteries, should be a recall", however when it's a Samsung that blows up, the response "he probably fiddled with it".

Amazing.

EDIT: Just to say - I agree that it probably is user error as it is in all these cases, just the response is not the norm lol

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Heh, amazing. Not the response I expected to be honest. Usually when it's an iPod or an iPhone that blows up the response is generally "serious manufacturing defect, unsafe batteries, should be a recall", however when it's a Samsung that blows up, the response "he probably fiddled with it".

Amazing.

EDIT: Just to say - I agree that it probably is user error as it is in all these cases, just the response is not the norm lol

I know what you mean, but with an iphone the batteries are not considered user replaceable, and there are so many other things that can be changed with an android device. I assume that is why people tend to go that route first with an android phone (assuming the battery is replaceable) versus an phone.

I always tend to peg the iphone blowups as a rare freak accident. The first thing that popped into my head with this was not using the OEM battery.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Amazing.

That's because with Android phones you can do a lot to modify how the hardware runs.

Quoting him from Reddit:

"EDIT: People keep requesting pictures of the battery. Here they are

ALSO: To answer many questions: EVERYTHING was stock/Samsung that I had received when I purchased my phone. Stock battery, charger, etc. Additionally, my phone was NOT rooted."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1f5hoq/my_samsung_galaxy_s3_exploded_last_night_while_i/

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Amazing.

Are you new here? The reason that people point to 'user error' instead of manufacturing defect is because this has happened before:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...owave-faulty-says-official-investigation.html

Here are the cliff notes:
'Exploding' Samsung Galaxy S3 was deliberately placed in microwave and was not faulty says official investigation
The user, from Ireland, had claimed the phone 'exploded' while charging in his car
'Wrote online, 'It could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed
Samsung's investigation discovered that the level of damage could only have been caused by an external energy source such as a microwave
The claims made by the user were retracted and he admitted he was mistaken

So yeah, this latest episode is going to draw some skepticism.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I just skimmed the post there but if im not mistaken he signed up over there and his first post is about his samsung phone burning up?

I hope samsung investigates the phone and sues him.they have the hardware to know if the phone was modded and can tell if was ever unlocked or rooted

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
nothing new, has happened before, magnetic fields and heat are usually the cause of these "explosions".

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Are you new here? The reason that people point to 'user error' instead of manufacturing defect is because this has happened before:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...owave-faulty-says-official-investigation.html

Here are the cliff notes:
'Exploding' Samsung Galaxy S3 was deliberately placed in microwave and was not faulty says official investigation
The user, from Ireland, had claimed the phone 'exploded' while charging in his car
'Wrote online, 'It could have burned the side of my face or through my pocket and my leg, or set fire to my bed
Samsung's investigation discovered that the level of damage could only have been caused by an external energy source such as a microwave
The claims made by the user were retracted and he admitted he was mistaken

So yeah, this latest episode is going to draw some skepticism.

Lets agree to never use the Daily Mail as a source of truthful factual information :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just skimmed the post there but if im not mistaken he signed up over there and his first post is about his samsung phone burning up?

I hope samsung investigates the phone and sues him.they have the hardware to know if the phone was modded and can tell if was ever unlocked or rooted

Sues him? FFS, not everything needs to result in a lawsuit. :rolleyes:

At best, if he modded his phone then Samsung simply should issue a statement stating such and not compensate the guy. If there is no trace of him doing anything to provoke this, then Samsung should compensate him and recall whatever needs to be recalled.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013

At best, if he modded his phone then Samsung simply should issue a statement stating such and not compensate the guy. If there is no trace of him doing anything to provoke this, then Samsung should compensate him and recall whatever needs to be recalled.

Samsung went threw this before and this is bad press and will hurt there sales.they have every right to sue him for slander as this will definitely have a huge effect on the galaxy sales and the person posted it on a web site that draws huge hits and is spreading like mad across the web now.the funny part is its his first post over there also.

so yeah they need to put there foot down and sue for faking there flagship phone burning up.they already went threw this once and its just bad press for samsung

he clearly states the phone was bone stock and samsung should just play nice when they find out he lied about modifying the phone?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Samsung went threw this before and this is bad press and will hurt there sales.they have every right to sue him for slander as this will definitely have a huge effect on the galaxy sales and the person posted it on a web site that draws huge hits and is spreading like mad across the web now.

so yeah they need to put there foot down and sue for faking there flagship phone burning up.they already went threw this once and its just bad press for samsung

It's libel not slander at this point. He is claiming nothing was done and that happened. If he is lying then sure, they can sue some dick for what will be pennies to Samsung (that they'll never see anyway) or they can simply choose to not honor a claim. I think it's absolutely absurd that you think they should sue him. Regardless, I never, not even remotely implied, that they should just accept a claim if he lied. In fact, I wrote the exact opposite.

And Samsung went through this .... and it won't hurt their sales. It certainly wasn't hurting the iPhone sales when people claimed it happened to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
It's libel not slander at this point. He is claiming nothing was done and that happened. If he is lying then sure, they can sue some dick for what will be pennies to Samsung (that they'll never see anyway) or they can simply choose to not honor a claim. I think it's absolutely absurd that you think they should sue him. Regardless, I never, not even remotely implied, that they should just accept a claim if he lied. In fact, I wrote the exact opposite.

And Samsung went through this .... and it won't hurt their sales. It certainly wasn't hurting the iPhone sales when people claimed it happened to them.

It's not about money . They need to be agressive about this to stop the next guy from making up a story.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013

agreed, most of the times it's because of the user, people try modify the phone causing internal damage which results in explosion of the phone.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
It looks like he just put a lighter to it.the back of the battery cover is melted pretty good and the part that it covers on the cell is not as bad.its like he just melted the back over and the part on the phone looks like the fire started from the out side first.

lol I just looked at the pics again.it doesn't take a rocket scientists to inspect the damage.

the retard melted the wrong side of the battery cover.if you look at the pictures and see that if he puts the cover back on the phone the opposite side is burnt on the phone

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
" He was able to put it out by dumping a glass of water on it"

Very smart man, putting water on a malfunctioning electric device...:eek:

Fire extinguishers were made for situations just like this, water doesn't always fix everything

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Samsung went threw this before and this is bad press and will hurt there sales.they have every right to sue him for slander as this will definitely have a huge effect on the galaxy sales and the person posted it on a web site that draws huge hits and is spreading like mad across the web now.the funny part is its his first post over there also.

he clearly states the phone was bone stock and samsung should just play nice when they find out he lied about modifying the phone?

Seriously? You actually think this will result in even one person saying "man, maybe I should get another phone because that other Samsung exploded!" If you truly believe this, you're about the most naive person I've ever seen post here (and that's saying something).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Looks like a battery failure. It happens. You guys never had a battery pop in something you own? I've had quite a few things, however I've been lucky enough they haven't burned anything.

I don't think this was done by the owner or even user error.

Look at the pics of the battery! That is a problem within.

http://imgur.com/a/FxGzj

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I couldn't agree with this more.

Seriously? You actually think this will result in even one person saying "man, maybe I should get another phone because that other Samsung exploded!" If you truly believe this, you're about the most naive person I've ever seen post here (and that's saying something).

You were right. ;) I'm glad there aren't better things to do around here. :D

But as for our buddy, if he truly thinks Samsung is going to sue anyone then that is absolutely nuts.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
" He was able to put it out by dumping a glass of water on it"

Very smart man, putting water on a malfunctioning electric device...:eek:

Fire extinguishers were made for situations just like this, water doesn't always fix everything

If you don't have a fire extinguisher in your room what do you do?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
True or false, who cares. This is a one in a trillion chance of happening.

If it is true, maybe it's cause the battery kept charging even after 100%?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.